Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looking forward to New Leaf myself. :)

Amazon have Fast Racing Neo here in case your regular B&M's don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The boxart on the Fast Racng Neo and SteamWorld games are manky with the Selects branding. I don't want to own them looking like that. I've several physical indie Wii U games are none are tarnished in that way. The boxart would suggest they had a previous physical release and are now available for cheaper which isn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Looking forward to New Leaf myself. :)

Amazon have Fast Racing Neo here in case your regular B&M's don't.

Ohh is the new leaf selects out next friday? Might be finally time to pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

New Leaf is getting Amiibo support in December can't see them releasing it on Budget in Europe then a full price version in December, hope I am wrong.

Wii U deal in UK looks not to shabby, parcel motel may be required.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wii-u-32gb-console-with-mario-kart-8-xenoblade-chronicles-x-used-149-99-grainger-2517375

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

New Leaf is getting Amiibo support in December can't see them releasing it on Budget in Europe then a full price version in December, hope I am wrong.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wii-u-32gb-console-with-mario-kart-8-xenoblade-chronicles-x-used-149-99-grainger-2517375

Tis only wiiu selects stuff next week, its the US that got the ac:new leaf select, hasn't been announced for Europe. Dang

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New Leaf and Super Smash Bros, two games resistant to price drops and two games I really want but won't play that much of.... but I really want them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I already have AC New Leaf, looking forward to the update.
    If anyone is looking to play online I don't mind going back to it and giving a hand sharing fruit and going to the Island.

I already have AC New Leaf, looking forward to the update.
    If anyone is looking to play online I don't mind going back to it and giving a hand sharing fruit and going to the Island.

Am currently replaying this at the moment keep time traveling though so town is full of weeds

Am currently replaying this at the moment keep time traveling though so town is full of weeds
    I picked something, like the type of town I wanted and I picked one that the weeds don't grow or are reduced.
    " They will not appear as much if the Beautiful Town ordinance is enacted. "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

That's my price point! But also waiting for a refund from somewhere else :(

• Advertisement

Now you owe me bitch!!! :D

Now you owe me bitch!!! :D

*sits stroking copies of Pokemon X/Y/AS..*

Sorry what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

sligeach wrote: »
    The boxart on the Fast Racng Neo and SteamWorld games are manky with the Selects branding. I don't want to own them looking like that. I've several physical indie Wii U games are none are tarnished in that way. The boxart would suggest they had a previous physical release and are now available for cheaper which isn't true.

Especially since the PS4 version of Steamworld gets a nice clean frameless box. :( Great artwork though.

Argos didn't stock that weird Fire Emblem related Wii U FF game earlier this year so don't get any hopes up of them stocking these ones, advice again is go in and ask if they are in their database yet, do it tomorrow so as to have time to source them elsewhere if they don't. Probably not worth asking in Smyths in store neither may be worth asking on their Facebook page but probably not.

The Selects games should show up sooner or later but Ocarina of Time was in very shortly supply when that was re released a while back in stores here so again ask about Pikmin 3 tomorrow in both Argos and Smyths or the other place that shall not be named for indications of availability as ninty stuff ain't priority for game stores any more. Argos got one copy of Dragon Quest VII in into each store when it came out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You're such a positive thinker Sligeach, I'm just thankful that they are getting a physical release at all.
    And the Selects branding is just that, a brand, so why worry?
    Hardly "tarnished" just a design for a specific range of budget priced titles.
    Shovel Knight didn't have such decoration because it was launched, on the WiiU and other formats, as a fully fledged release, just at a lower price point.
    Sure, if it matters so much, go and photoshop those elements out and print your own cover, see how that ultimately effects the game inside the box.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sure, if it matters so much, go and photoshop those elements out and print your own cover, see how that ultimately effects the game inside the box.
    It's rare I'm picky on box art, but TBF, I own the US copy of Suikoden on PS1, I think I can handle any box art after that.

It's rare I'm picky on box art, but TBF, I own the US copy of Suikoden on PS1, I think I can handle any box art after that.

Surprisingly nice PAL artwork for Suikoden
    Suikoden_packaging01.jpg

Non-surprising rubbish US art for Suikoden
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCwFmvisnHmKMQttTnbQQ3k4LdTNodqnmlp1OIjvCwFmHvv7JK

Surprisingly nice PAL artwork for Suikoden
    Suikoden_packaging01.jpg

Non-surprising rubbish US art for Suikoden
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCwFmvisnHmKMQttTnbQQ3k4LdTNodqnmlp1OIjvCwFmHvv7JK
    The PAL is the same as Japan I think. Irs the NTSC one I have, it's pretty bad lol.

You're such a positive thinker Sligeach, I'm just thankful that they are getting a physical release at all.
    And the Selects branding is just that, a brand, so why worry?
    Hardly "tarnished" just a design for a specific range of budget priced titles.
    Shovel Knight didn't have such decoration because it was launched, on the WiiU and other formats, as a fully fledged release, just at a lower price point.

PS4 owners won't have that problem.

STWSELPS4.jpg
    I wouldn't touch a games cover. That's sacrilegious. Other games on Wii U went untarnished, Teslagrad, The Book Of Unwritten Tales 2, Terraria, The Legend of Kay, Runbow, Tumblestone and as you say Shovel Knight. Nintendo must have cut a deal with Image & Form and Shin'en for a physical release and they let everyone know by searing it with their brand.

PS4 owners won't have that problem.
    I wouldn't touch a games cover. That's sacrilegious. Other games on Wii U went untarnished, Teslagrad, The Book Of Unwritten Tales 2, Terraria, The Legend of Kay, Runbow, Tumblestone and as you say Shovel Knight. Nintendo must have cut a deal with Image & Form and Shin'en for a physical release and they let everyone know by searing it with their brand.

It's not sacrilegious, it's a game cover!
    And Sony have released plenty of reruns of titles with the essential banners around them, seeing as I was talking mostly about the Pikmin rerelease and the reaction here to the banner around it, so no difference there at all.

As for the indie physical release, so what?
    It wasn't like it had an official release with a different cover on Nintendo, no it's only Nintendo release will have the banner.
    This leaves those who, somehow, only own Nintendo hardware and want the game to a couple of choices.
    1: Buy it and play it and who gives a fig about the cover.
    2: Hold their nose, buy it, play it and ignore the cover.
    3: Hold on to some bizarre principle and not bother with the physical release at all.
    But really, what's the big deal?
    I mean, by all means take issue with Nintendo about things, but these indie releases are going to be limited in appeal at the best of times, so a physical launch could well need to be subsidised by Nintendo in order to make a profit for the developers, so why shouldn't they have that branding, they may not have gotten a physical release otherwise.

The point is, you may not be in full possession of the facts and reasons behind the branding, so I wouldn't be so quick to condemn it.
    And even if there is no big reason for it aside from some quirk and decision made entirely by Nintendo, it really doesn't matter, it's not so important to get upset over it.

Actually, it appears that they are the first in a line of big eshop sellers that are getting a physical release, hence the branding as part of the Nintendo eshop Selects range. This would suggest a significant investment on the part of Nintendo as their publisher, and why they should feel entitled to brand them slightly differently to the other releases on other formats.

• Advertisement

The Pikmin 3 Selects cover is manky as well. All Selects covers are manky. They also ruin the look of a collection. All my spines are blue with the odd exception like Super Mario Maker. For me, they cheapen the look. I'd never buy a Selects cover GIVEN the CHOICE. Changing a game cover reduces its value and how do you store the original without creasing it unless you put it on another empty box?

I will go with choice number 2.

It's not really a choice though. I know Nintendo have helped fund these games physical versions.
    We'd like to ask about the disc version coming to Europe through the eShop Selects brand. Can you talk about how that came about? Did Nintendo of Europe approach you about it, or was it the other way around?

You can fully thank Nintendo. Without them there would have been no retail version and perhaps not even the new DLC.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/09/interview_shinen_multimedia_explains_how_fast_racing_neos_future_pack_dlc_got_on_the_grid

And Nintendo are in all likelihood only doing it now because they've got pretty much nothing else on Wii U.

The Pikmin 3 Selects cover is manky as well. All Selects covers are manky. They also ruin the look of a collection. All my spines are blue with the odd exception like Super Mario Maker. For me, they cheapen the look. I'd never buy a Selects cover GIVEN the CHOICE. Changing a game cover reduces its value and how do you store the original without creasing it unless you put it on another empty box?

In all honesty, you leave the cover where it is and just slip a printed standard of 'shopped cover over it.
    It preserves the original and gives you the fun and excitement of the cover of your choice.

I will go with choice number 2.

It's not really a choice though. I know Nintendo have helped fund these games physical versions.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/09/interview_shinen_multimedia_explains_how_fast_racing_neos_future_pack_dlc_got_on_the_grid

And Nintendo are in all likelihood only doing it now because they've got pretty much nothing else on Wii U.

It's not ideal.
    I agree with you.
    But, in the case of the eshop stuff, I can get past it as it's the physical game I'm after, so I can't be held to ransom by the twin threats of the game being deleted off the servers and mean I can't ever download it again despite buying it, and also the evils of Nintendo and their player accounts being locked to machines, this way I can play the game on any WiiU I like.... which would be great if I had mates who owned a WiiU... or even had mates :(

This isn't an isolated matter.
    I've seen the same First World Problem with niche releases on the PS3 and 360, where a Shmup like Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets is released for the 360 in Japan and cost a fortune, and looks like this
    tumblr_lcokisSjm41qbg80vo1_400.jpg
    It comes with the game on disk as well as extras, and costs around €170.
    Or you can buy the release
    It looks like this
    $T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0uEyBRJ,24Ouow~~60_57.JPG
    It has, as you can see, a great big banner announcing it's budget status for all to see, and the release lacks the little extras, like the soundtrack cd.
    But, on rerelease at least, it cost a lot less, I think I got my copy for around €40.
    It's the punishment for accepting a lower priced rerelease, and you'll probably find people at the other end of the market annoyed that their first run title is cheapened by an identical product being released in greater numbers making their "investment" worth a lot less.

In this instance, the small print run of Pikmin 3, for a AAA title at least, means that this budget release is the best we can hope for... unless....
    This will mean that the preowed copies for sale in CEX will, hopefully, drop from the current €35 or so to a more manageable €20 or so, and you'll have the option, there at least, to obtain the game in it's original state.

It's a good thing that we feel so strongly about Nintendo that these details matter to us, in my opinion.
    Nintendo occupy a special place in the history of videogames and the consoles and handhelds that play them.
    And, with our support, they can occupy a special place in the future of videogames as well.

We'd miss Sligeach if he wasn't here! His moaning gives us.. gravity? Yeah. Gravity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sligeach is the hero we deserve.

(Get well soon man!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

In these poverty stricken times I don't care if Nintendo wrap the disc in bubble wrap as long as it's as cheap as possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hang on.... I thought Robbing Bandit was the one who had surgery and Sligeach was the "Billy Mahoney" figure he brought back with him after he flatlined?

Was I wrong all this time? Sligeach.... is people?

Banjo wrote: »
    Hang on.... I thought Robbing Bandit was the one who had surgery and Sligeach was the "Billy Mahoney" figure he brought back with him after he flatlined?

He's actually a conglomerate of people.

I started a trend, or contagion, yeah let's go with contagion my fragile little mind can't deal with me being a trend setter, hope you're feeling better sir Sligeach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,264 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

More Carey Mahoney.

• Advertisement

Are doing a "Save Ferris" for Sligeach?
    Is he/she/it ill?
    Is it in a malady way or Beastie Boys way?

And why does my predictive text now know the words Beastie Boys and Sligeach?
    Yet, it still struggles with Ciderman....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement