Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We've about 48 days to Switchmas and so not too much time to get the €500 or so saved up to buy the console and some games.
    I'm interested to see if an external hdd can be used, as I have done with my Xbox One, I'm hoping so.

HDD support, like the Xbox one (or was it ps4, or both?) Is confirmed NOT to work at launch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a 500Gb 3.5" hdd on a shelf, hopefully Nintendo will support it via enclosure.
    That said, do I want to be lugging around a independently powered hdd with me when I'm on the go?
    No.
    I think I'll just invest in a €50 128Gb micro SD card, and be satisfied with that, because physical games won't require an install the system won't be as demanding as the current home systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

If a game like Zelda is 13.4gb or whatever it is, then 128gb sd card is fine for me. I get a feeling some people like to own games rather than actually play them. The amount of people going on about backlogs and huge hard drives with thousands of games installed baffles me. Each to their own obviously, but the 32gb Wii U hard drive was never an issue for me. Realistically, I might flick between 3-5 games at any one time. I'll get a big sd card for the Switch, and any indie games and virtual console stuff can go on there, the rest I'll buy the game cartridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Fieldog wrote: »
    That SF2 trailer was awesome... :)

What's that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

How long before Nintendo Switch official power banks are announced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What's that now?

Street Fighter 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Corholio wrote: »
    Should just play it in fairness, never understood the point of keeping a game sealed if it's your only copy. The reviews weren't that bad either, that's a bit of a misnomer. It's a fun game to be honest, if the patience with the controls are short than maybe less so but worth honing the skill with that imo.

I ****ing absolutely HATE forced motion control.

I'll give it a good tomorrow or next week and report back on my feeling but I'm not hold out much hope though if I'm honest.

Street Fighter 2.

Yeah, but what video?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Yeah, but what video?

Oh, there's a trailer for it somewhere.

Great, thanks.

It'll be classic graphics for me. I don't like change.

To be honest I still consider Fei Long and Cammy to be new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a 500Gb 3.5" hdd on a shelf, hopefully Nintendo will support it via enclosure.
    That said, do I want to be lugging around a independently powered hdd with me when I'm on the go?
    No.
    I think I'll just invest in a €50 128Gb micro SD card, and be satisfied with that, because physical games won't require an install the system won't be as demanding as the current home systems

The way to go is a portable 2.5" external drive, powered via USB. Those independently powered drives are way too much of a nuisance. I use a 2tb portable drive on the Xbox one, powered by USB, think it was €95 in Argos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

pasta-solo wrote: »
    If a game like Zelda is 13.4gb or whatever it is, then 128gb sd card is fine for me. I get a feeling some people like to own games rather than actually play them. The amount of people going on about backlogs and huge hard drives with thousands of games installed baffles me. Each to their own obviously, but the 32gb Wii U hard drive was never an issue for me. Realistically, I might flick between 3-5 games at any one time. I'll get a big sd card for the Switch, and any indie games and virtual console stuff can go on there, the rest I'll buy the game cartridge.

I am currently wrestling with my PS4, to miserable to invest in a 1Tb hdd for it and with the current 500Gb hdd too small for my now extensive Steam-like library of crap that I'll never play.
    Then I look at the install sizes, 65Gb or close to for GTAV!
    Madness Joe, madness!
    And, the shock and pleasure at the tiny install and load times of The Last Guardian, which weighed in at a mere 10Gb or so.
    Seeing as nothing works straight off of a disk for the XB1 and PS4, with a significant or all of the data being installed to hdd, having a solid state Switch cartridge will make things much easier, certainly the carts and the initial 32Gb of writable memory will be ample for the first while, and the aforementioned microSD expansion will take care of the rest.
    Yes, a digital only customer may have storage problems, but seeing as all of my current consoles are either in receipt of expansion, the WiiU and XB1, or need it desperately, the PS4, then expanding the memory of the Switch isn't such a big deal at all.
    In fact, running the likes of Skyrim from a cart is going to be a novel experience to be sure, and one I can't wait to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

If anyone is looking to bulk out their Wii or DS collections with shovelware, Golden Discs in Dundrum have 5 games for €10.

Didn't spend long looking through them but didn't seem to be any big name games included.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭alekito

I've thought about and made up my mind. I'm getting Switch on day 1. Seems the price of €329 is pretty much everywhere. Will just have to pony up. Might get a deal on Zelda Breath of the Wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Switch will support up to 2tb micro SDs.

I've never seen even a 1tb in real life. Was looking at prices and they all seem to have been slashed from like stupid figures (€499 kind of nonsense) to under €80 and stuff but all from questionable sellers.

Will be keeping my eyes peeled, even a 200gb one would be loads. I was surprised that I never had to worry about the 32gb in the Wii U. I don't think I've ever had to manage storage, even with every Wii digital game now on it and e-shop purchases etc.

Like Ciderman my PS4 and it's 500gb is driving me f*cking mental, it's worse than when I ran out of space on the Wii and had the whole cannot play from an SD card headwreck before that patch. That always annoyed the hell out of me, I had more than enough games to fill up the home screen but couldn't as the storage couldn't take it, so I had all these awesome channels hidden in the SD menu... Then they did it AGAIN by making the Wii memory virtual on the Wii U. Urrrghhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This is the bargain alerts thread, please keep it to bargain alerts, and not discussion of all and sundry, there are plenty other threads for such things!

Sorry boss.... Mea culpa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Sorry :)

If someone does spot a large micro SD at a good price throw it in here for sure though.

How large is large? I got a 32gb card from Argos for a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Realistically, you'd want to be looking at 128GB minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Anyone know the cheapest place to get majoras mask 3ds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

€38 in Cex one in stock in liffey street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

€38 in Cex one in stock in liffey street.

You work there or something? It's cheaper on amazon than that.

BARGAIN ALERT!

You get £10 off an order on Amazon today with the code BIGTHANKS - put it in on the last screen.

If you order Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch it comes to £51 (it says £49.99 but the Vat rate is higher here). Take £10 off that at it's £41 delivered (about €47). It's €70 in Gamestop!

You can of course order anything else. But this is ONE DAY only! Great chance to get a Switch game cheaper. Works on other pre-orders as well. Mario Odyssey / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe / Splatoon 2.

Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

alekito wrote: »
    BARGAIN ALERT!

You get £10 off an order on Amazon today with the code BIGTHANKS - put it in on the last screen.

If you order Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch it comes to £51 (it says £49.99 but the Vat rate is higher here). Take £10 off that at it's £41 delivered (about €47). It's €70 in Gamestop!

You can of course order anything else. But this is ONE DAY only! Great chance to get a Switch game cheaper. Works on other pre-orders as well. Mario Odyssey / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe / Splatoon 2.

It does not work though if you are using Prime and then Parcel Motel, doing this brings it back down to 47.99.

Xenji wrote: »
    It does not work though if you are using Prime and then Parcel Motel, doing this brings it back down to 47.99.

No need to use Parcel Motel. They ship to Ireland for free if you spend that much
    :)

No need to use Parcel Motel. They ship to Ireland for free if you spend that much

Is that by unladen african swallow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

And if you wind up getting Asendia as the carrier you could possibly be waiting for up to 3 weeks to get your game if it even arrives unfortunately , that is why I go the Parcel Motel route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

BARGAIN ALERT!

Cancelled my Zelda order and reordered it along with Steam World Collection: Steam World Heist + Steam World Dig eShop Selects (Nintendo Wii U). Just hope Zelda still ships on launch day. :D

• Advertisement

It's a good deal for Zelda. Shame I can't use the code twice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement