Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have mountains of games that i buy with the intention of playing, I only buy games that I'd play, but i know that the majority are never going to be played at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have mountains of games that i buy with the intention of playing, I only buy games that I'd play, but i know that the majority are never going to be played at all....

See, that I can understand, there is the potential for use. You might open a cupboard and go "yeah, that's what I want to play today, little did I know all those years ago that I would want to play that game on this day".

I've bought Lego sets that I don't have the time to build but I know, there will be a Saturday morning very soon or an evening when my fiancé is on a late shift that I will build it. I've never had an unbuilt set of Lego in the apartment for longer than a week. It gets built, it gets displayed for a while and then gets taken apart and stored so I can build it again sometime. We're moving to a house in a few months time so I'm scaling back at the moment, selling sets and figures, but once in a house, I'll scale back up again, slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Rhyme wrote: »
    See, that I can understand, there is the potential for use. You might open a cupboard and go "yeah, that's what I want to play today, little did I know all those years ago that I would want to play that game on this day".

I've bought Lego sets that I don't have the time to build but I know, there will be a Saturday morning very soon or an evening when my fiancé is on a late shift that I will build it. I've never had an unbuilt set of Lego in the apartment for longer than a week. It gets built, it gets displayed for a while and then gets taken apart and stored so I can build it again sometime. We're moving to a house in a few months time so I'm scaling back at the moment, selling sets and figures, but once in a house, I'll scale back up again, slowly.

This post got me back into LEGO: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101293731
    And my wife would rather build them with me, so no building alone! :D
    Same thing though, build one when we've the time and inclination to do so, and display it for a while, then dismantle and build another! Only have a few sets so far though.

With games, I tend to only buy ones I want to play, don't see the point in collecting games to just sit there as an unplayed 'collection'.

Also, Cidey, I don't believe you... You usually buy them to sell them to rebuy them! We know it's the chase you love... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Can you explain this to me?

Full disclosure, I buy Lego for myself. I like the building, the shapes and design choices. I like the printing, the minifigures and they way they are used. I don't 'play' as a child would so people don't see the point in what I do, thinking it frivolous and a waste of money. I have to explain my passion (as I have above) and then they understand and some even come to appreciate it (two people I know are now occasional collectors and my collecting may have influenced them).

Easy. It's going to gather dust in my collection. I was only talking about this the other day. If anyone buys this, check out the paintwork on the figures. Got the lady to give me a rake of them to look through as the one she gave me, the black of Donkey Kong's eyes were practically white and other bits were sketchy. They all had blemishes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Lord wrote: »
    With games, I tend to only buy ones I want to play, don't see the point in collecting games to just sit there as an unplayed 'collection'.

Also, Cidey, I don't believe you... You usually buy them to sell them to rebuy them! We know it's the chase you love... :D

I reckon there's people who post once a year in the hitchhiking forum who know of my buying habits :(
    On a brighter note, Nintendo seems to be relatively immune.

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    Easy. It's going to gather dust in my collection. I was only talking about this the other day. If anyone buys this, check out the paintwork on the figures. Got the lady to give me a rake of them to look through as the one she gave me, the black of Donkey Kong's eyes were practically white and other bits were sketchy. They all had blemishes.

I can understand that, to a point. Buying for having. I've bought a few minifigures online as I wanted them. They may get displayed one day but, for the time being, I just have them in a drawer.

An example; I bought the Lego minifigure of the character 'Gibbs' from Pirates of the Caribbean. I liked the character, the actor is a good one too (Kevin McNally) so I wanted the figure. He comes out of the drawer occasionally as I love the rendering, accurate but in a 'Lego' way. Like one artist drawing another artists character (the premise of the Funko POP characters).

My understanding, however, doesn't extend to buying videogames and not playing them. I grew up the the NES and the Megadrive, games were expensive things to be relished (smell the manual) and played to death so all value can be extracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I have so many more games I actually want because I only buy what I plan to play.

Even if something is a fiver, if I know it won't be played, it won't be bought. All of these fivers as tenners add up over time.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I have so many more games I actually want because I only buy what I plan to play.

Even if something is a fiver, if I know it won't be played, it won't be bought. All of these fivers as tenners add up over time.

I've done the same. The last two years have been spent slowly chewing through a large amount of games bought on Steam. I'm about 70-75% through what I bought in a flurry over the course of a year through various sales and won through competitions on SomethingAwful. Even games for as little as 1, 2 and 5euro have been passed over.

The sum total of games I've bought over that time amounts to Tales of Symphonia (PC), Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS), Broforce (PC) and Zelda (Switch). Saved a ton of money in the process... that will all be spent in one wallop on my wedding in August :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

If the notion of "cheap Nintendo games" doesn't elevate your heart rate, it's probably something you'll never understand :D It's like you've no choice but to buy them, whether they get played or not is irrelevant. Damned Nintendo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Saved a ton of money in the process... that will all be spent in one wallop on my wedding in August :)

Congrats in advance, but know that you probably won't be buying as many games afterwards and may regret not stockpiling in advance :)

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Congrats in advance, but know that you probably won't be buying as many games afterwards and may regret not stockpiling in advance :)

I was married around the time that the PS2 was released...
    Didn't stop me accruing an appalling number of games for it though!
    Nor the Xbox, GC, 360, PS3, Wii and so on...
    Mrs Ciderman and i have reached some sort of armistice.
    The war goes on, but the shooting has stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

I understand your pain brother - I got away with murder when the PS4 and Xbox One came out as both machines were black - my wife isn't a gamer - the Switch messed everything up as I had to admit I was buying a new console - "it's only a flesh wound" later and I've been happily playing Zelda - luckily the cases look a little like PSP game cases so game wise I'll be okay. I've pre-ordered Lego Undercover and Mario Kart is a dead cert.

My better half contributed to the price of the Switch with a birthday preorder deposit.
    So I crawled out from under that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Myself and the gf have a timesharing set up, she plays Overwatch while i play Zelda, then we swap.

And she pays half of all major purchases!

Deadly

Mrs Ciderman detests videogames.
    If she knew the scale of the hobby I'd be shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Tell her you'll start hanging out with her more if she wants to take them away.

Then just be a pain in the arse until she's happy to let you continue having a hobby.

Tell her you'll start hanging out with her more if she wants to take them away.

Then just be a pain in the arse until she's happy to let you continue having a hobby.

We have very different spousal relationships....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

My better half contributed to the price of the Switch with a birthday preorder deposit.
    So I crawled out from under that one.

Mine did the same. Fortunately she doesn't detest video games, given that she's got her own Zelda save profile on the Switch. One evening she asked what the time was and couldn't believe that she'd been playing for an hour and a half. She still needs some practice with the directional controls though.

Thankfully it hasn't got to the stage where we need a second Switch, otherwise there'd be trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My other-half and I 100%-ed DKC: Returns and DK: Tropical Freeze together. A decade in, still probably the greatest test our relationship ever faced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My other half is imaginary, she is 1.845 metres tall and shoots lightning from, well that's for me to know and for you to ponder. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm other half reads boards, so all is well.

All is not well, she loves sega and I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Save me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'm other half reads boards, so all is well.

All is not well, she loves sega and I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Save me.
    Blink twice if you need help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My other half is imaginary, she is 1.845 metres tall and shoots lightning from, well that's for me to know and for you to ponder. :o

I remember her, man she gave me the tingles :pac:

I thought his imaginary wife was his right hand, and so joined in in most of his videogaming exploits....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My missus is a gamer (and a boardsie) luckily enough, neither my PS4 or her PS4 hasn't been on really since Zelda came out to play anything other than a bit of YouTube...

Going to take a lot to pull us out of Hyrule!

jonnycivic wrote: »
    I remember her, man she gave me the tingles :pac:

You bastich she was my world, you owe me a dlc for Zelda for this, BTW I gave her herpes so that tingle ain't no tingle sir, no not at all.

I thought his imaginary wife was his right hand, and so joined in in most of his videogaming exploits....

That was my Final Fantasy VII, Tomb Raider 2 phase with an ascii grip in one hand and well you can assume the rest, and who said it was a wife, she was my honey bunny, now all she is is a dead floozy, woooo hooooo, imaginary necrophilia every cloud has a silver lining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

You bastich she was my world, you owe me a dlc for Zelda for this, BTW I gave her herpes so that tingle ain't no tingle sir, no not at all.

jptugl.gif

He'll be lucky if just his nose turns red, very lucky indeed.

Anyone remember when this page used to be bargains as far as the eye could see, no me neither seeing as I don't see all too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭alekito

I found out. They said they will post a label and it will arrive in a few days. Then you post that back. That will take 2-3 weeks. Ahh!!!

So my bargain alert question is - where do I get a good value pro-controller from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement