Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Definitely the wrong thread to ask it in, but what is your husband into? SexuaGamewise? Different genres are represented in varying degrees on the different platforms. Does he have a favourite game?

Also, from your point of view, what do you want him to get out of this?
    I ask this 'cause I have a Switch and a 3DS. Since getting the Switch, I have a tendency to play more games with headphones on, sitting on the end of the couch while my wife watches Masterchef. And despite it leaving us in the same room while we follow diverging entertainment paths, it's quite isolating. And it annoys the **** out of her when I take it to bed because of the clickyness of the buttons. And because I keep wanting to play "Link and Epona"

3DS has an amazing array of software available, but is getting on a bit and is not very impressive visually. It's near the end of it's life now. The Switch is far more expensive, but it's only just getting started and it looks like it's taking off. The Vita is... I think it's been dead a while. But it's technically pretty impressive.

On a budget, you can get a 3DS/2DS XL and a couple of world class games for under €200. Also, the nature of the games as smaller, more portable-focussed experiences means they're usually far easier to dip in and out of.

If money is no object, The Switch offers console gaming on the go, baked-in multiplayer and some fantastic gaming experiences (Mariokart, Zelda, Mario Odyssey) with more promised. And it's a hot property.

I don't know much about the Vita, but I believe you can stream your PS4 games to it, so if nothing else I think it would allow him to play his console without taking over the TV. That's got to be worth something?

The standard 3DS will fit in a pocket - I carried one around all day every day for about 5 years. The Vita is a little larger and the Switch is larger again, but both would easily fit into any bag you're bringing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭corkgirl17

Thanks for that. Would it be compact in size? He travels alot so want something he can play on a plane or while waiting around in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The 3DS is very compact, and easily fits into an average pocket. The switch is bigger, but still goes into a backpack or travel bag very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭corkgirl17

Thanks for your help, think I'll see what offers come up for the Switch for Black Friday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

corkgirl17 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, think I'll see what offers come up for the Switch for Black Friday!!

i wouldnt be expecting too many deals on black friday for the switch i could be proven wrong but its not out a year and is selling like gold dust every time its back in stock and will likely be one of the hardest things to find for xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Steer clear of the Vita any good games are impossible to buy now the memory cards are crazy to source too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Steer clear of the Vita any good games are impossible to buy now the memory cards are crazy to source too

If I was getting a Vita now I would get a vita/micro sd adapter like this

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B077991LGH/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&qid=1511280781&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=vita+memory+card&dpPl=1&dpID=31pxe-pl3%2BL&ref=plSrch

Had no idea they existed thanks might get one for my own Vita Persona 4 is the greatest game ever

Had no idea they existed thanks might get one for my own Vita Persona 4 is the greatest game ever

Neither did I, I was just going to post up that vita memory cards are still readily available from Amazon Japan with a link when I spotted that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doesn't it require an installation of cfw?

• Advertisement

They're a right pain to get here though, I've 5 16 gb and a few each of the 8gb and 4gb left from sales in tesco smyths and xtravision a couple of years back, the adapter is cool though.

Normal schedule resuming in 3,2,1

Argos have Kirby Triple Deluxe for €17.99 with the added bonus of a shovel knight amiibo for €3.99, order in for Friday so €21.98 all in, fantastic game and great amiibo which thanks to it being made by a third party is functional without opening, almost every amiibo has the silver foil in the box, this one does not.

Deal seems to have expired Argos is watching.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Doesn't it require an installation of cfw?

Yeah, just checked that. It requires a 3g vita with firmware below 3.60 so it can be hacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

corkgirl17 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Would it be compact in size? He travels alot so want something he can play on a plane or while waiting around in the airport.

Ps vita is dead as a platform. No point even looking in to it.

Your best bet is Switch and 3ds. If he is travelling a lot, then switch would be perfect for him. It is bulky, but if he has a manbag on his travels, then I wouldn't see any issues with portability.
    3ds is fine when comes to portability, but I found myself very uncomfortable playing on it. Its too small for my hands, and I don't have massive hands at all. 3ds xl is much more comfortable, but its a lot more bulkier and it wont be "fit in a pocket" device.
    Another important thing to find out is what games your husband likes. Switch would be a lot better mix of main stream games and very good unique nindento titles. Right now its on the roll and it has a bright future. 3ds on the other hand has some amazing gems like Monster hunter, fire emblem, pokemon games. Problem is, nintendo will focus now more on switch then 3ds. So I personally thing if budged allows it, go for switch. It will be fantastic addition for his ps4 and busy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ps vita might be dead but if you pick up one 2nd hand with a nice memory card for 70 euros you have a bargin.

The vita was great but don't did not support it at all.

You can pick up loads of classic games for it for next to Notting now for digital copys. Like rachet and clank 1 to 3 sly cooper ff10 and more must of then you can get for less then 10 euros on sale on psn bargin of a console campere to some of the crazy money 3ds games are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

According to the email I just got, 15 euro off Switch pro controllers in Gamestop on Black Friday. Only switch related discount mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

According to the email I just got, 15 euro off Switch pro controllers in Gamestop on Black Friday. Only switch related discount mentioned.

I'm all over that if so.

Edit: Just found the Pro Controller on Base for £54 or €61.

https://www.base.com/buy/product/pro-controller-nintendo-switch/dgc-proconns.htm?1=1&awc=2694_1511295559_a13de4846c93abbb4905279699346209

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Smyths have the Mario wires controllers now for 22euro absolute bargain tbh

Zelda one also 22euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Smyths have the Mario wires controllers now for 22euro absolute bargain tbh

Zelda one also 22euro

Daughter is getting a Switch for Christmas so the Zelda controller will go nicely with her Zelda game and Zelda case :-) BARGAIN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Neither did I, I was just going to post up that vita memory cards are still readily available from Amazon Japan with a link when I spotted that.
    On Amazon UK as well - https://www.amazon.co.uk/XBERSTAR-Version-SD2VITA-Adapter-Henkaku-Red/dp/B074Z62V6X

Smyths seem to have knocked a little off the top of some Switch accessories.
    The Mario and Zelda covers - the ones that only cover the screen and main body, not the joycons - have a tenner knocked off, now €14.99. JoyCon grips (not the charging one :( ) are a tenner (down from 20) and (Edit : As already pointed out by WarZoneBrother) the cabled controllers are €22 down from €40.

Xenoblade 2 is at €50 which ain't bad if you don't want to wait for a delivery.

• Advertisement

NBA 2K18 dropped to €40 on smyths. It's about 3 quid cheaper than Argos. Note : The Argos price is the same (€43) on PS4 and XBOne - finally, the Switch Tax is a myth :D

Note : Amazon is cheaper by about 2 euro. If you can wait just a tiny bit longer, that's a 4 pack of Picnic bars right there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Banjo wrote: »
    NBA 2K18 dropped to €40 on smyths. It's about 3 quid cheaper than Argos. Note : The Argos price is the same (€43) on PS4 and XBOne - finally, the Switch Tax is a myth :D

Note : Amazon is cheaper by about 2 euro. If you can wait just a tiny bit longer, that's a 4 pack of Picnic bars right there.

1st person games tend to hold their value though, but it's not a hard and fast rule.
    if you look to Super Mario DS, the SM64 port, that was still commanding top prices up to recently, though on the other hand you could pick up excellence like Kirby Triple Deluxe for discounted prices.

But, in the main, 1st party Nintendo titles hold their value better than 3rd party games, those only suffer the same fate as 3rd party titles on other formats though, so that's not Nintendo specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Damn, Nintendo is doing really damn well, because there is fudge all deals for games. All other platforms slashing their prices like crazy. Good sign I guess, but tight A****** gamer in me is a bit annoyed lol.

I stay away from ps4 and xbox deals as I am not sure what will I upgrade to after xmas ( all the collected vouchers :pac: ), Ps4 pro or xbox one. Switch is in unique position, where I know it will be around for me. Buying at full price over black friday week feels dirty. :D
    I need something fast as after being done with zelda I havent played it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo 1st party games hold their value because Nintendo won't and don't reduce them. Even years later when nobody is buying them. Just look at the Wii for example, there's Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare games that have never seen a price cut. You can still go on there now. It's the same when it comes to sales, they don't do any usually and when they do, they're $h1t€. Or look at the Wii U eShop, Mario Kart 8 and countless other games are full price. They do Selects Editions sometimes but they usually they take years to come about. Or My Nintendo discounts. Laughable!

Edit: Just as I talk about the Wii U eShop, I see there's 30% and 50% off discounts this week. Unfortunately I own them all.

We're not getting the Thanksgiving discounts that the US has got, so no Axiom Verge or Runner 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fire Emblem Warriors is £29.99 on Simply Games. That's a really good price for a physical copy of it.

http://deals.simplygames.com/p/fire-emblem-warriors-nintendo-switch?utm_content=bufferd58a5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Corholio wrote: »
    Fire Emblem Warriors is £29.99 on Simply Games. That's a really good price for a physical copy of it.
    825pz4
    http://deals.simplygames.com/p/fire-emblem-warriors-nintendo-switch?utm_content=bufferd58a5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Thanks, will probably pick this up!
    Would like a hyrule warriors port/sequel though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    1st person games tend to hold their value though, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

So you're saying no Doom price drop any time soon? :P

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So you're saying no Doom price drop any time soon? :P

It's dropped in price in GameStop from €60 to €48, a massive €2 less than what Smyths are selling it for :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement