Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

but does the normal Premium pack include a wii + remote? I thought it just had the wii gamepad with it?

Back to Smyths, they have the Wii U Basic at 240 euro with Nintendoland and Wii Party U, which includes a remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

CastorTroy wrote: »

I don't think their site is very reliable (or at least, hasn't been) for the Wii U.

http://checksmyths.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=125012

Stock Checker has it as "Unknown Status", but anyone that has rang or called in, has been told that they don't have it at that price. Unless they've changed it..
    I have a friend of mine looking for one since he missed the Currys offer, and I've told him about smyths at least twice now, maybe more :D:o

He now probably wouldn't listen even if they really were doing them at a lower price.. :)

I checked my local in Letterkenny and it has low stock. Not sure if they're the same price but the web price should be the instore price.

Banjo and Nitromaster were having a discussion over on the Mario Kart Blue Shell Bundle Thread about Hard Drives for the Wii U. I had this post to go there, but I thought it would better suited here, for anyone that is thinking of getting a Hard Drive to backup their Wii U games.

There's an article on IGN recommending the best drives to use with the Wii U. It's old, but I'd imagine would still apply.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/04/11/the-best-hard-drives-for-the-wii-u
    .....Because of the behavior of the console, Nintendo has a few recommended parameters for an attached hard drive. First and foremost, the manufacturer advises to use an A/C-powered desktop hard drive rather than a USB-powered portable drive or a solid state drive to ensure that adequate power is distributed and memory is accessed quickly. There are quite a few USB-powered drives that work just fine on Wii U (see the list below), but some high-end drives draw more power than USB 2.0 can provide. Next, the company limits the size of the external storage to 2 TB, so the console won't read any mega-memory monoliths (though Nintendo has promised that will change sometime in the future.) After narrowing down to a handful of hard-drive options, Nintendo has backed five of them for use: (1)Buffalo Drive Station Axis , (2)Seagate Backup Plus, (3)Seagate Expansion Desktop, (4)Toshiba Canvio Desk, and (5)Western Digital My Book. Nintendo doesn't guarantee that any of these specific drives will perform optimally on the Wii U, but they are all tested for success....
    I only checked on Amazon.
    1. Buffalo Drive Station Axis From £73GBP for 1TB
    2. Seagate Backup Plus From £59.02GBP for 1TB, and only £88.99GBP for 3TB
    3. Seagate Expansion Desktop From £55.79GBP for 1TB, and only £77.99GBP for 3TB
    4. Toshiba Canvio From £66.54GBP for 2TB, and only £74.98GBP for 3TB
    5. Western Digital My Book From £63.00GBP for 2TB, and only £82.99 for 3TB (Other WD My Books are available)
    They do go up to 4TB, but 3TB seems to be the best value, and I did also see the hack for playing Wii Backed up games, but I'll give that a miss.. (for now :) )
    Not sure which one I'm going to go for, but I think it'll be one of the Seagate drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Allyall wrote: »
    HDD discussion

Ugh, sorry to quote all of your post but this is just a major turn off for a lot of people, external HDD, extra plug socket needed, 32gb SD memory (which is fine for Indie and VC in my eyes tbh)

I hope to god at E3 they announce a Wii U with internal HDD of 500 GB or 1TB or even 2TB. Why are they so difficult! Sony and MS can do it for the past 7 years why can't Nintendo? Keep the price down, me hole :(

It is a bit of a turn off.. It would be better if they had left an option to put a hard drive in it or attached to it.
    I don't have enough sockets behind my TV/Router/Phone/TV Box/Wii U/Television Provider Box/Permanently unplugged Blu-Ray Player...

But, I'm still going to go for one of them... :D

Haha, well fair play to ya, I'll just stick with the 32GB and disc games until they get with the times of 6/7 years ago :)

I'll probably wait until I have a bit of extra cash to spend. But I do like the idea of playing the backups instead of the Discs..
    I had the Wii set up for all of the backed up games and loved it.
    It does seem mad that they didn't consider some sort of attachment casing or something that you could put a hard drive into.
    Anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

But I do like the idea of playing the backups instead of the Discs..

Can't do that on the Wii U, you can play downloaded games, or disc games, but can't play disc games from a backup on the HDD.

I'll probably wait until I have a bit of extra cash to spend. But I do like the idea of playing the backups instead of the Discs..
    I had the Wii set up for all of the backed up games and loved it.
    It does seem mad that they didn't consider some sort of attachment casing or something that you could put a hard drive into.
    Anyway...

Oh don't get me wrong, I had the same set up for my 'back ups' on the Wii, but the Wii was of prev gen at the end of the day, now the Wii U is on par/stronger that the ps360, games are much larger in size, hence they should have an internal HDD of some sort, very frustrationg to me.

Anyway I'm totally derailing the topic, I should rant in the 'Wii U dead in the Water' topics :pac:

Can't do that on the Wii U, you can play downloaded games, or disc games, but can't play disc games from a backup on the HDD.
    Ahh.. Didn't realise that. I won't be buying much downloadable games, or at least not the ones that can be bought in physical format.
    I've bought a few downloads, but not near 3TB worth.
    I did see a Wii U hack on youtube for Wii Games and a Hard Drive, but I won't be trying that.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I had the same set up for my 'back ups' on the Wii, but the Wii was of prev gen at the end of the day, now the Wii U is on par/stronger that the ps360, games are much larger in size, hence they should have an internal HDD of some sort, very frustrationg to me.

Anyway I'm totally derailing the topic, I should rant in the 'Wii U dead in the Water' topics :pac:

Yeah, the article states how big they are.. 21GB and 18GB etc..
    Anyway, seems that idea is out the window, ElDiablo rained all over my parade.. :p
    Can't play backups.. :o

Haha yeah, there was a hack done last year (Spring or Summer time) as far as I know, but Ninty sent out an update pretty quickly to block the hack for all live Wii U's out in the wild.

I'm pretty sure it will be hackable in about 3 years though, but god damn I love having disc games for the WiiU so I'm not bothered about that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Are we talking wii u or vwii mode?

You can play backups off a hard drive but only for Wii (original) games only.

However you would need 2 hard drives if you are using an external for Wii U downloaded games.
    One for the Wii U and one for Vwii mode.

You cant at the minute make 2 partitions on the drive for each mode-its all or nothing for Wii U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seen a link on Hotukdeals that the UK HMV stores are selling the Zelda Wii U bundle for £150, all Irish stores including Belfast and Newry are not doing this deal as they are under Hilco control, I think the UK stores are being changed to Irish style soon so this is their closing/changing sale. Bloody good deals to be had though, Batman Origins on 3DS is £5. Anyone with UK friends or family should snap these up if they can, better than the Tesco Mario Kart 8 deal imo.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wii-u-bundles-zelda-lego-hmv-149-99-1903356

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Hi is this a good deal?

Nintendo Wii U Console & LEGO City Undercover Game for €239.99

http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=143%2F2048

Inbox wrote: »
    Hi is this a good deal?

Nintendo Wii U Console & LEGO City Undercover Game for €239.99

http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=143%2F2048

Yep, I think that's a fairly good deal. It has been cheaper (for a weekend or so), but I don't think you'll beat that price for a while.
    MK8 is coming out soon, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, X etc..
    The game sells for ~ €40 so that would bring the console down to €200ish.
    The same bundle is over €322 on Amazon (£262GBP) + Shipping (£7GBP).

3DS XLs have gone down some what in Argos today, the main one being that horrible Yoshi one for €187.49, hideous lime green colour. No free games though.

The Silver and the Red are €187.49 with Dead or Alive and Prof Layton Spectre's Call free.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/25696310/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/2%7C14419738%7CNintendo+3DS%7C25696310/r_001/4%7CPrice%7C60+%3C%3D++%3C%3D+199.99%7C2.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

3DS XLs have gone down some what in Argos today, the main one being that horrible Yoshi one for €187.49, hideous lime green colour. No free games though.

The Silver and the Red are €187.49 with Dead or Alive and Prof Layton Spectre's Call free.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/25696310/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/2%7C14419738%7CNintendo+3DS%7C25696310/r_001/4%7CPrice%7C60+%3C%3D++%3C%3D+199.99%7C2.htm

Why don't you shut your whore mouth and leave Yoshi alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That Yoshi one is also £127 on Amazon. And it's beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Does anyone know if a Wii U Mario Kart bundle delivery will fit in a parcel motel locker i might order this deal if it does i think or if there is a price in Ireland close to this deal anywhere?

10% off use code TDX-JK4T

http://www.tesco.com/direct/mario-kart-wii-u-console-bundle/117-7839.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=117-7839

Should be no problem fitting that into one of the medium-large Parcel Motel lockers.

I got mine delivered to parcel motel and fit no problem

Sonic Lost World on Wii U - £23.99
    Don't forget, it's one of the free games you can claim if you register MarioKart 8

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Why don't you shut your whore mouth and leave Yoshi alone.

Fcuk you bitches, it is horrible. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Just ordered a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U for £112 on the John Lewis site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just ordered a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U for £112 on the John Lewis site.

Out of stock now. You got a bargain there. Why didn't I check it this morning:(

Ryath wrote: »
    Out of stock now. You got a bargain there. Why didn't I check it this morning:(

I'd hold out and keep an eye in store Smyths/Argos/etc.. Unfortunately (for nintendo) Nintendo must have told some retailers to sell it sale prices again.

The last time it was reduced, I noticed it was in France and the UK, and then it was reduced here shortly afterwards.

Some people on HUKD saying it's in some HMV's in the UK for £149.

50% off Wii U consoles in Auchan (France) (It's only in certain stores, and only refunded to people with Auchan cards - but it's a start.)

The last time, they did it only in certain stores and mostly little or no marketing, and AFAIK John Lewis are the only ones to sell them at rock bottom prices online.

argos have added the 2 free games (DOA 3DS and a DS Inspector Braintickler game) to the Yoshi XL offer from yesterday...

Also, HMV Dundrum have 3 copies of Zak and Wiki on Wii for €9.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Pokemon typing adventure for the original ds is down to 12 quid in argos, looks like plenty of stock.

I'm a sucker for peripherals...

Pretty much what Banjo said, but if you buy the €199 version - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1438406/Trail/searchtext%3E3DS.htm#tab3

One or two other offers.

Pretty much what Robbingbandit said, but if you buy the €199 version - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1438406/Trail/searchtext%3E3DS.htm#tab3

One or two other offers.

FYP. :pac:

Pokemon typing adventure for the original ds is down to 12 quid in argos, looks like plenty of stock.

I'm a sucker for peripherals...

Great deal for a bluetooth keyboard, even if the game is crap it will be worth it, I'll get one for my phone and tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Well my Wii U order for £112 got cancelled by John Lewis. I will get a Wii U someday but not today it seems.

Well my Wii U order for £112 got cancelled by John Lewis. I will get a Wii U someday but not today it seems.

Bummer

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=578014

Zelda Skyward Sword for €16

Just reserved it just need to find a cheap motion plus remote to play it now.

Argos have one of the bundle games (Wii Party?) with a black WiiMote for €18.99 if you can find stock.

Had seen that not in stock anywhere though

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=+204%2F6464

Banjo wrote: »
    Argos have one of the bundle games (Wii Party?) with a black WiiMote for €18.99 if you can find stock.
    Ryath wrote: »
    Had seen that not in stock anywhere though

I ignored that for ages. Dum-dum. It was worth it for the controller alone.

EDIT - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2046464/Trail/searchtext%3EWII+PARTY.htm

http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=204%2F6464 - None in stock

Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

They've had that deal going for a couple of months now. The thing is it's been out of stock all that time.

• Advertisement

Sorry nevermind, I was thinking of the Wii U version.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

50% off Wii U consoles in Auchan (France) (It's only in certain stores, and only refunded to people with Auchan cards - but it's a start.)

That's my local auchan I'm genuinely gutted having bought mine last week:mad::mad::mad:

That's my local auchan I'm genuinely gutted having bought mine last week:mad::mad::mad:

Still worth it. :D (Original Price)

If you could afford it, you could risk buying another one, and sell it for ~ €250 on Ebay or an adverts type website.. Edit - Take the profit off the price you paid.

New Super Mario Bros U is £19.99 on Amazon

And adding any of these will get both delivered for free.

Loads of new stuff added /returning to the Stars catalog including some of the other colours of 3DS XL charging docks (red white and blue, the green and yellow never went away), the game cart folder, the Mario Hat game rack, playing cards that aren't the gold set from last month (they look like they have one giant picture made up of the 52 cards tiled in order), a Wii Fit scarf, a Bullet Bill and Bowser folder set and a Peach folder. Oh, and the figurine of Mario, Luigi, Bowser et all is back too.
    http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/

There's a fulfilled-by-Amazon option for AC: Black Flag for £16.66
    If you don't mind waiting an unspecified length of time, Resident Evil Revelations (WiiU) for £15.99 from Amazon too
    Alas, the NSMB-U deal is over :(

Not sure if this is a 'bargain', but seems to be a good offer with racing wheel.
    Mario Kart 8 + Racing Wheel on Game for £39.99

they won't ship the wheel to ireland (confirmed yesterday via their live chat), so add in Parcel Motel. Also, they couldn't 100% confirm that the wheel and game ship in the same box. Do PM do parcel aggregation?

Also, there's a link on the site for a free accessory when you order Mario Kart 8. Nothing special in there - silicon skins for the Wii U gamepad are probably the best value option but I think they were all gone when I checked it yesterday.

Do PM do parcel aggregation?

Nope. Two parcels, two charges.
    They actually warn about using any services that are likely to send you anything like catalogues to your PM address, so that you don't get charged for things that you do not want.

Fifa 13 Wii U for £9.99 on Amazon
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U is down to £11.20 (but bear in mind you can get it in HMV/Xtravision for €14)
    NSMB U is back down to £19.99

I'd steer clear of GAME for Mario Kart 8. You've no guarantee that you'll have it launch day and that wheel is junk. Just buy the game from Smyths. It's the best price I've seen for it here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

sligeach wrote: »
    I'd steer clear of GAME for Mario Kart 8. You've no guarantee that you'll have it launch day and that wheel is junk. Just buy the game from Smyths. It's the best price I've seen for it here in Ireland.

Very true, I ordered Link Between Worlds from GAME early as a pre-order with the chest. Only the poster arrived, no reply to any emails. Ended up getting a refund from paypal for the game, the only positive was the poster but I got hit twice from pm, once for the stay and once because it was to big to fit in the locker:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement