Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Oxenfree is on sale for ~€2.80 on the South African eshop. I’ve never played it but have heard plenty of good things about it. I couldn’t say no at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Smyths seem to have restocked the snes mini If anyone was still looking..

Hoping Virtual Console, or whatever form that will take on Switch, will scratch my retro itch. Got Vs. Super Mario Bros on Switch and can still remember levels and mistakes I made from back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Oxenfree is on sale for ~€2.80 on the South African eshop. I’ve never played it but have heard plenty of good things about it. I couldn’t say no at that price.

I have it on Xbox, never played it but bought it again for €2.80 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Hoping Virtual Console, or whatever form that will take on Switch, will scratch my retro itch. Got Vs. Super Mario Bros on Switch and can still remember levels and mistakes I made from back in the day.

I say we might not ever get it due to the fact they make way to much money on the NES and SNES mini then they would on the VC.

Like we could still get a N64 mini, Gameboy Mini, GBA Mini the list is endless and charge 100 euros for that ever sell 2 or 3 mil of them it just prints money for something that basically is just a wii inside and they can make extremely cheap.

I say we might not ever get it due to the fact they make way to much money on the NES and SNES mini then they would on the VC.

Like we could still get a N64 mini, Gameboy Mini, GBA Mini the list is endless and charge 100 euros for that ever sell 2 or 3 mil of them it just prints money for something that basically is just a wii inside and they can make extremely cheap.

Would there be a market for both? I presume they've made plenty of money from virtual console game sales too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Would there be a market for both? I presume they've made plenty of money from virtual console game sales too?

I say there could be way more money in them mini consoles then a VC games.

Give you a idea me and you might buy 1 or 2 VC games at say 8 euros each. Between of us 32 euros.

While I am like ohh SNES mini I need that i loved 4 of the games when I am younger I pay 80 euros for it Nintendo makes maybe 40 euros over say 16 euros.

Now because I have a SNES mini I won't buy any VC games.

So get more things into the shops and SNES mini will make people go ohh look switch I need that or the other way around ;).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I say there could be way more money in them mini consoles then a VC games.

Give you a idea me and you might buy 1 or 2 VC games at say 8 euros each. Between of us 32 euros.

While I am like ohh SNES mini I need that i loved 4 of the games when I am younger I pay 80 euros for it Nintendo makes maybe 40 euros over say 16 euros.

Now because I have a SNES mini I won't buy any VC games.

So get more things into the shops and SNES mini will make people go ohh look switch I need that or the other way around ;).

I'd be willing to bet you'll buy a lot more than just one or two VC games - same for most Switch owners that owned a SNES or NES back in the day. Nintendo also said we'll be getting a game a month or something like that when the paid service kicks in - VC is guaranteed.

There's a big enough market out there for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The reason I didn't buy a SNES mini was the inevitability of VC on the Switch.

I would much rather cherry pick the games I want and take them anywhere rather than dropping €90 on something restricted to TV play.

Kirby Star Allies up for pre order on The Game Collection for £35. It's £59 on Amazon.

https://www.thegamecollection.net/kirby-star-allies-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Kirby Star Allies up for pre order on The Game Collection for £35. It's £59 on Amazon.

https://www.thegamecollection.net/kirby-star-allies-switch/

Out of stock already :(

• Advertisement

Out of stock already :(

It was there when I posted. Hopefully it'll come back in quickly.

I'm kinda on the fence about it myself but for £35 I'll take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Riptide GP Renegade on the eShop for €4.99 (50% off) or €4.25 on the Swiss eShop.

Really fun futuristic water racer. There's even online modes against others. Great value for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Switch Pro Controller €60 in Gamestop
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%20Switch/Games/62063/nintendo-switch-pro-controller

3 for 2 on Wii U games
    https://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?productType=2&release=1&platform=29

Stock is probably an issue depending on store. Splatoon new was only €29.99 but they’d only had Mario Maker second hand. Wasn’t anything decent really in stock for a third game I didn’t have. Maybe Star Wars Force Awakens but that was only a tenner. Was tempted to fill up my collection but I think I’d sooner save my money for Switch versions.

Ryath wrote: »
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%20Switch/Games/62063/nintendo-switch-pro-controller

3 for 2 on Wii U games
    https://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?productType=2&release=1&platform=29

Stock is probably an issue depending on store. Splatoon new was only €29.99 but they’d only had Mario Maker second hand. Wasn’t anything decent really in stock for a third game I didn’t have. Maybe Star Wars Force Awakens but that was only a tenner. Was tempted to fill up my collection but I think I’d sooner save my money for Switch versions.

Mmm, dang. Thats my price point for buying that. But I'm also trying to save money...

Ryath wrote: »

3 for 2 on Wii U games

Thanks for heads up on pro controller. Postman will arrive with one next week hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Corholio wrote: »
    Riptide GP Renegade on the eShop for €4.99 (50% off) or €4.25 on the Swiss eShop.

Really fun futuristic water racer. There's even online modes against others. Great value for a fiver.

looks fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The reason I didn't buy a SNES mini was the inevitability of VC on the Switch.

I would much rather cherry pick the games I want and take them anywhere rather than dropping €90 on something restricted to TV play.

The "Mini" line up is more so about reliving your childhood, with a genuine controller, on a genuine piece of Nintendo hardware, on a tv. There's a market for that, whether it's your cup of tea or not. The VC on the Switch (when Nintendo finally get their finger out), is about portability, on the go gaming, with a dash of nostalgia on the side....they're different ideas altogether.

That said, in an ideal world, Nintendo would allow you to connect your Switch up to a Snes Mini, and chop & change your purchased VC roms between systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

With alot of 3rd party games reporting great sales on the switch I wonder are they delaying the vc to keep 3rd parties happy. Surely 3rd parties would see a drop in sales if the market was suddenly flooded with Nintendo's back catalogue.

Even for parents buying something their kids can play. Given a choice between a Mario game or an unknown they would most likely pick Mario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Inviere wrote: »
    The "Mini" line up is more so about reliving your childhood, with a genuine controller, on a genuine piece of Nintendo hardware, on a tv. There's a market for that, whether it's your cup of tea or not. The VC on the Switch (when Nintendo finally get their finger out), is about portability, on the go gaming, with a dash of nostalgia on the side....they're different ideas altogether.

That's what I stated above, not my cup of tea. The stock levels is evidence enough that people are drawn to it though.

To me it's all about the software. Doesn't matter what controller I'm holding as long as it's ergonomic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That's what I stated above, not my cup of tea. The stock levels is evidence enough that people are drawn to it though.

To me it's all about the software. Doesn't matter what controller I'm holding as long as it's ergonomic.

Indeed, it's really down to "whatever your into." Personally I am a fan of the "Mini" line up, as there's a definite nostalgia about the box art, the mini console itself, the controller...but there's more to it, the games they've included are some of the very best on each system. So for people like me, into the nostalgia side of it AND the software side like yourself, it's win win.

That said, I'm not a fan of the VC. Well, that's not quite accurate, the VC is an amazing resource...I'm not a fan of its pricing model. I find the roms games stupidly expensive. I think at most, Snes era games for example, should be three for €4.99 (again, at most!). There's zero hope of me every paying the guts of a tenner for a Snes rom file. If I was to say whether I've been spoiled by the availability of said roms elsewhere for free, or whether I genuinely find it overpriced, I'd honestly lean towards them being overpriced. I'd say they'd sell bundles more if the prices were more realistic.

• Advertisement

I went into the Symths in airside before and discovered contrary to the information on their website, they did in fact have Metroid Samus Returns in stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That ain't no bargain sucka, you now owe us 5 bargains.

That ain't no bargain sucka, you now owe us 5 bargains.

Getting Metroid for 35 of your finest beans is a propa bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Well that's one now gimme 4 more or you dead

Good price I believe I posted that exact deal here a few weeks ago so you're welcome.

Yes I did

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105600018&postcount=7090

Zelda Breath of the Wild for Wii U down to €41.99 in Argos. Seems a good amount of stock in most places.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=1129764

Amazon BIGTHANKS code is good for 10 pounds off any order over 50. Doesn't include video games, but will work for SNES Classic and Labo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Amazon BIGTHANKS code is good for 10 pounds off any order over 50. Doesn't include video games, but will work for SNES Classic and Labo!

For Labo can you trade in a game now for 50euro off in Gamestop out of curiosity or do you have to wait until it launched, when they decide ohh wait no we don't want any title as it says..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Argos UK have dropped the price if the switch back pack to £19.99. Argos.ie usually follow suit a few days later so keep the eyes peeled.

It's really nice, I got it on Amazon. Really good use of space. Fits the full kit (dock and pro controller) in pouches on the back panel.

I've everything, switch, dock, cables the lot. 3 controllers, 6 games, power brick, a laptop even my gym gear and it's still looks and feels empty.

• Advertisement

Argos UK have dropped the price if the switch back back to £19.99. Argos.ie usually follow suit a few days later so keep the eyes peeled.

It's really nice I got it on Amazon. Rrally good use of space. Fits the full kit (dock and pro controller) in pouches on the back panel.

I've everything, switch, dock, cables the lot. 3 controllers, 6 games, power brick, a laptop even my gym gear and it's still looks and feels empty.

Sorry they've dropped the price of the Switch to £19.99 or back by £19.99?

Edit: did you mean the backpack?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement