Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Mr E wrote:
    Someone might want to confirm, but it looks like Into The Breach is 105 Rand in the South African eshop. That's €6.32.

Confirmed using revolut. Downloading now. Better be good now following my impulse purchase on behalf of boardsies everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Mr E wrote: »
    Someone might want to confirm, but it looks like Into The Breach is 105 Rand in the South African eshop. That's €6.32.

It's €14.99 generally...

Nice one. I had 100 gold coins on that store already so got it for about €5.70.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Damnit, I knew there was a reason I stopped hanging out here! I was a sucker for FTL, look forward to getting lost in this. Downloading...
    Gyan84 wrote: »
    Anybody picked up Monster Hunter Ultimate yet ? I was thinking of getting it, the cheapest option seems to be the japanese eshop at 46 euro.
    I could be wrong but Japan got this game (XX) a year ago and it had no English language option back then. Also previous J-releases of MH on 3ds that didn't get translated have been rereleased with more content and ranks, and then translated. Make sure the Japanese version you're looking at is equivalent to the local one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I got Monster Hunter as I've wanted to try one for ages. I've just played the first tutorial for the long sword so just going to work through them all and find a weapon I like. So far, it controls fine, runs smoothly, and loads quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Grassey wrote: »
    Confirmed using revolut. Downloading now. Better be good now following my impulse purchase on behalf of boardsies everywhere.

How did you use revolut? I tried using it through a mexican paypal for the mexican eshop but it never worked.

Do i just change the region to south africa on my account, go into the eshop and buy it with the revolut car number i have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

rejkin wrote: »
    Do i just change the region to south africa on my account, go into the eshop and buy it with the revolut car number i have?

exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you have any credit on your Irish account, you will lose it if you change region on that account.
    (If you have no credit there, it doesn't matter)

I have separate accounts for Ireland, Russia, South Africa and USA. Instructions here:
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/guide_how_to_access_the_nintendo_switch_eshop_for_multiple_regions

How did you use revolut? I tried using it through a mexican paypal for the mexican eshop but it never worked.

Bear in mind that South Africa and Russia are EMEA same as the the EU and UK, so you can use a credit card from this block in any of those shops (or any of them I've tried). The Mexican shop is part of the Americas business unit and requires an Americas-based billing address, but you can set one up via Pay Pal.

(Adding spoiler tags. This isn't nice :D
    We should probably all throw in a euro and buy an address in Venezuela.
    Too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I use my Irish card on the SA shop - works no problem

Same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just going to put this in here if anyone is looking for a headset for the Switch. Not sure about voice chat but game sound will definitely work.

Lucidsound LS20 for €18.50 delivered to Parcel Motel using Revolut.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucid-Sound-LS20-Gaming-Headset-Multi-Platform-/352367679359?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I use my Irish card on the SA shop - works no problem

Ended up getting into the breach off the SA eshop, brilliant!!

I have a question though as this could mean a lot of bargains on the eshops if there is no issue with it.

I ended up changing my region on my main account to South africa and then switching back after buying it which didn't affect anything, would nintendo possibly ban an account if they see this too often?
    Would it be safer to just have a separate account set permanently to south africa/norway etc?

The only people who can answer that is Nintendo. They made the Switch region free by design (it's not a glitch or workaround), so I doubt they'll start banning accounts. The Switch is 18 months old next Monday, so surely they'd have acted by now. It'll be interesting to see if anything changes when their online service launches, but my gut says nothing will change.

People are spending money on their eshop - a very small percentage of those people are savvy enough to change region (or set up regional accounts) to save a few euro here and there, but Nintendo are still making money by the truck load, and so are developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

People are spending money on their eshop - a very small percentage of those people are savvy enough to change region (or set up regional accounts) to save a few euro here and there, but Nintendo are still making money by the truck load, and so are developers.

Agreed. One thing that could force their hand though is if tax authorities start looking into this. Effectively if you buy on the South-African eshop from Ireland you are defrauding the Irish taxman and gifting undue VAT to the South African one (and Nintendo is not fulfilling its legal duty to collect Irish VAT on the payment). No idea if tax authorities would bother though or if Nintendo is too small/quiet of fish for them to get interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Bob24 wrote: »
    Agreed. One thing that could force their hand though is if tax authorities start looking into this. Effectively if you buy on the South-African eshop from Ireland you are defrauding the Irish taxman and gifting undue VAT to the South African one (and Nintendo is not fulfilling its legal duty to collect Irish VAT on the payment). No idea if tax authorities would bother though or if Nintendo is too small/quiet of fish for them to get interested.

The switch is portable, I brought mine with me to Africa for a 2 day holiday and used their eShop... :D

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    The switch is portable, I brought mine with me to Africa for a 2 day holiday and used their eShop... :D

Tax authorities wouldn’t go after you individually anyway. They would go after Nintendo and ask them to have safeguards in place to ensure buying in an eshop outside of your country of residence is hard (not a perfect solution, but the obvious first move would be to only accept payemtns from bank cards with a billing address in the same country as the eshop).

They wouldn't be going after just Nintendo in that case. I think you can set up a US PSN account and buy Playstation games at the dollar amount too. It would need to be an industry crackdown rather than one directed at Nintendo.

They wouldn't be going after just Nintendo in that case. I think you can set up a US PSN account and buy Playstation games at the dollar amount too. It would need to be an industry crackdown rather than one directed at Nintendo.

Yeah absolutely, I didn’t mean to imply Nintendo specifically is a problem - just meant to say going after users individually is a waste of time for tax authorities and they would rather task companies who are running the online stores to do that verification work. Having said that if it was to become especially widespread in a particular online store, it would attract attention and that store would be the first target - so I think if Nintendo (or Sony) was to see a dramatic decline in their sales in some countries and unusual spikes in purchases from foreign IP address in others, they would try to do something about it before attracting too much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

How to people keep up to date on offers happening in other regions?

Is there a handy site that details all of the discounts?

https://eshop-prices.com/games/on-sale?currency=EUR

Check https://eshop-prices.com/?currency=EUR for a full list.
    Green entries are cheapest, red are most expensive. Use the search panel (top left) to search for a game you are interested in.

• Advertisement

And every thursday you'll see a post in here with the latest releases and discounts :
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055054987&page=130
    ...Which Mr E knows full well about since it's usually him that posts the update, but he's too modest to say! Latest list here :
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107942557&postcount=1934

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

For anyone looking at upcoming releases- Let's Go Pikachu, Smash Bros etc. Yoku's Island Express on PS4 and Xbox is currently €12.99 in Smyth's, and on Gamestop's trade list where if you trade 2 games from the list you get a new release for €1. Just did it there and pre-ordered FIFA, worked out at a total spend of €26.98, not bad! I'd say act fast before they remove Yoku from the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-accessories/joy-con-battery-pack-nintendo-switch/p/160641

Joycon Battery Pack reduced to €15 in Smyth's. Not sure many would have a use for these, but may be a deal for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi. Looking to secure a switch for the silly season coming. Any good deals out there now?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

sticker wrote: »
    Hi. Looking to secure a switch for the silly season coming. Any good deals out there now?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you. Best I can find is 279 pound for Switch and either Odessey/BOTW on ao.com. Open an account on AO and you get a 20 pound voucher on anything over 299.

I'm in the same boat as you. Best I can find is 279 pound for Switch and either Odessey/BOTW on ao.com. Open an account on AO and you get a 20 pound voucher on anything over 299.

Many thanks. Just picked up a sealed brand new for 299 on adverts... Solid seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

sticker wrote: »
    Many thanks. Just picked up a sealed brand new for 299 on adverts... Solid seller.

I traded with a lad on adverts and basically got a brand new sealed Switch with Mario Kart and Odessy for €100... took advantage of that €1 when you trade in 2 games deal in Gamestop and got Pokemon with the ball and Smash with the controller, if their ****e oh well I didn't give Nintendo any money :p

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I traded with a lad on adverts and basically got a brand new sealed Switch with Mario Kart and Odessy for €100... took advantage of that €1 when you trade in 2 games deal in Gamestop and got Pokemon with the ball and Smash with the controller, if their ****e oh well I didn't give Nintendo any money :p

Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

TitianGerm wrote: »

For the code in a box? Because the Boxed Switch version is 29 atm

I ask because I'm after cheapest boxed crash on Switch, and depending on the exchange rate of the day, either Amazon or Smyths seem to be the way to go. Neither is amazing though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement