Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    It's so expensive for a decent sized Micro SD Memory card. I bought 2 500GB HDD's for €50 altogether maybe 5 or 6 years ago. And they weren't generic either. One's a Seagate and the other's a Toshiba.

Nobody really cares how much you paid for a HDD 5 years ago, it's irrelevant to the bargain posted and I doubt anyone wants to hear another moan from you.

€85 for a 400GB micro SD is good value and is comparable to similar quality and sized SSD drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Nobody really cares how much you paid for a HDD 5 years ago, it's irrelevant to the bargain posted and I doubt anyone wants to hear another moan from you.

€85 for a 400GB micro SD is good value and is comparable to similar quality and sized SSD drives.

Your post is riddled with failure. I expect no less from you and you didn't disappoint. The only thing you got right is that "€85 for a 400GB micro SD is good value". SSD's are very different from Micro SD cards and are far more reliable. There's no reason why HDD's can't be used, it's Nintendo deliberately blocking their use. Yes, it would only work in docked mode, but you could then use it in conjunction with a small Micro SD card(which would still work out cheaper) for when you're out and about to play games. For exclusively docked players there's no cheaper option available, even though there is one if Nintendo would allow it. The point is, Nintendo have regressed in many ways and are inconveniencing owners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everyone keep it civil or don't post here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

400GB SD card from Amazon.de for €85 + shipping.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B074RNRM2B

Man I hope that's still the price come payday on Thursday. That's a cracking deal.

Your post is riddled with failure. I expect no less from you and you didn't disappoint. The only thing you got right is that "€85 for a 400GB micro SD is good value". SSD's are very different from Micro SD cards and are far more reliable. There's no reason why HDD's can't be used, it's Nintendo deliberately blocking their use. Yes, it would only work in docked mode, but you could then use it in conjunction with a small Micro SD card(which would still work out cheaper) for when you're out and about to play games. For exclusively docked players there's no cheaper option available, even though there is one if Nintendo would allow it. The point is, Nintendo have regressed in many ways and are inconveniencing owners.

Sorry read my post again before jumping down my throat. I'm saying that €85 is comparable to the price of similar quality SSD drives.

Your post about how much you paid for a HDD 5 years ago was irrelevant to a bargain alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

The reason you can't use a HDD with the Switch is obvious. The system is based on seamlessly "Switch"-ing from TV to portable and that just wouldn't work if the game you were playing was stored on the HDD.

On a separate note, I can't get my head around being able to store 400gb on something as small as a Micro SD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hdd in docked mode would have completely messed up the play anywhere message. It might happen one day but not till they hit their x-million sold target.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some regional eshop savings...

Rogue Legacy (out tomorrow) is €6.49 in South Africa (€14.99 here)
    Transistor (out last week) is €7.94 in South Africa (€16.79 here)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Dammit. That's a great price for Rogue Legacy. Stupid backlog.

Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-7 is €25.99 in Argos for Switch.

€39.99 in eshop and Gamestop.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8370103.htm
    http://checkargos.com/product/8370103

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-7 is €25.99 in Argos for Switch.

€39.99 in eshop and Gamestop.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8370103.htm
    http://checkargos.com/product/8370103

That's really good, it's got to be some kind of error. It only came out last week. If people are interested, I'd act fast, just in case.

Anyone know how to buy on the american and Mexican eshop as my Mastercard won't work on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Shamelessly stolen from HUKD - credit to @cactusbrandy
    I have not done this and cannot vouch for it personally. But I believe it works. And I believe in unicorns and the power of friendship. So your mileage may vary. But with friends by your side, your Smileage will always be the best.

1. Create a spare email account
    2. Create a regional PayPal account - in this instance, Mexico
    3a. Create a new Nintendo account, using your new email address
    or
    3b. Change your region to Mexico at accounts.nintendo.com and unlink your UK PayPal if you have linked it before at ec.nintendo.com/my (or click on Shop Menu in the accounts main page)
    4. Get yourself signed up to Revolut (won't detail that here, as it is fairly easy really)
    5. In your Mexico PayPal, add your Revolut card as a payment method - use your normal billing address for Revolut, putting Mexico as Region/Country and postcode/zip as 06500
    6. This will confirm with a small $1 charge to your Revolut virtual card and add to PayPal nicely
    7a. Link your Mexican PayPal account to your new Nintendo Account by going to buy a game with the new account (on your Switch); if you click the link in your email, do it incognito, in case it tries to go to the UK version of Nintendo where you may already have your account details saved
    or
    7b. Sign into the eShop on your Switch and buy the game as per normal by linking your Mexican PayPal
    8. Proceed to pay for games, using PayPal as your payment method and it will automatically draw funds from your Revolut card as needed
    9. Enjoy!

I haven't tried Mexico yet, but you can buy from the US by setting up a US account on your Switch and buying prepaid eshop credit from:

PC Game Supply: https://www.pcgamesupply.com/Nintendo-eShop/
    Play-Asia: https://www.play-asia.com/search/eshop#fc=v:4

Once you buy the credit, you can redeem it in the US eshop on your Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Half tempted to get a switch for xmas, was there much savings on black friday deals last year can anyone recall?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Half tempted to get a switch for xmas, was there much savings on black friday deals last year can anyone recall?

There's a deal running on Very at the minute. Have a look on HUKD for "Nintendo Switch" and you'll see it.

Edit: here's the link

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-grey-neon-22999-12-month-bnpl-nintendo-switch-limited-edition-bundle-lets-go-pikachu-or-lets-go-eevee-28999-very-3095634

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Nintendo rarely discount, best you can hope for is bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

^^^
    Do you have to choose 12 month payment, or can you purchase it straight away and still get the £50 cashback/Does Ireland qualify?

I saw this while looking for a switch offer, and I guess this is the place to put it, it seems good but I do not have a clue.

http://www.play-asia.com/nintendo-classic-mini-famicom/13/70akhb

Only I am not sure if it gets hit for customs.
    But they have a pre-paid Tax shipping method for €12.57
    I've never used them before so I don't know anything about them, thought it might suit somebody here though.

Suckit wrote: »
    ^^^
    Do you have to choose 12 month payment, or can you purchase it straight away and still get the £50 cashback/Does Ireland qualify?

I saw this while looking for a switch offer, and I guess this is the place to put it, it seems good but I do not have a clue.

http://www.play-asia.com/nintendo-classic-mini-famicom/13/70akhb

Only I am not sure if it gets hit for customs.
    But they have a pre-paid Tax shipping method for €12.57
    I've never used them before so I don't know anything about them, thought it might suit somebody here though.

I'm not sure to be honest. I saw that the £50 comes off your first bill. I assume if you paid £179 a day or two later the £50 would clear the balance.

There's a deal running on Very at the minute. Have a look on HUKD for "Nintendo Switch" and you'll see it.

Edit: here's the link

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-grey-neon-22999-12-month-bnpl-nintendo-switch-limited-edition-bundle-lets-go-pikachu-or-lets-go-eevee-28999-very-3095634

So i can order this now for for 279 (50 euro reduction at December) bringing it down to 229 and then just pay it off bit by bit over the next year?

• Advertisement

So i can order this now for for 279 (50 euro reduction at December) bringing it down to 229 and then just pay it off bit by bit over the next year?

Just look at the terms and conditions. You don't want to be caught with interest because the APR is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just look at the terms and conditions. You don't want to be caught with interest because the APR is very high.

Exchange rate seems to be in our favour at the minute, but I still don't see this as much of an option. Paying it off over 12 months. I've seen it on Geizhals.eu for less than €200, will keep an eye out a bit longer.

Must read up on it more but seems as tho interest rate kicks in if you dont pay it off after the first year?

For today only, Ebay have knocked $30 off the price of a Switch. It's part of its Black Friday lead-up deals.

Nintendo Switch 32GB Console with Neon Blue and Neon Red Joy-Con

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Switch-32GB-Console-with-Neon-Blue-and-Neon-Red-Joy-Con/302901819731

Ebay might do a similar deal in Europe soon. I would expect there to be deals as good as last Black Friday from major retailers like Amazon, they had the Switch with Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Super Mario Odyssey for £295.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

400GB SD card from Amazon.de for €85 + shipping.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B074RNRM2B

Thanks Titan. Bought last night 85e 96e shipped..Cracking deal. 400GB in a microsd it's starting to surpass what i can throw at these cards. My 200GB one was full, so timing was perfect. Thanks for the share.

Side note. My switch only has 120GB card it it and barely 40% full. I buy a mix of digital and cars so it's all good.

Thanks

Paper Mario: Colour Splash on Nintendo Wii U for £18.99 from Argos on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paper-Mario-Colour-Splash-Nintendo-Wii-U-Game-3-Years/352406380721

Or you could wait for Nintendo to port it to Switch but it'll likely be €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

bkrangle wrote: »

Cheers was looking at picking it up for 25 in gamestop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement