Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

skerry wrote:
    Never ceases to amaze me how the likes of Gamestop are still in business.
    64.99 for a second hand copy of BoTW and 69.99 new. But there's obviously a decent amount of people who are willing to pay those prices and not shop around which is equally baffling

I'll always remember someone on here said when Mass Effect Andromeda released they saw staff from Gamestop taking copies to CEX to trade as it probably did bad in terms of cancelled pre orders & first day sales.
    CEX likely paid top dollar for those second hand Let's Go Pokemon games & didn't see if falling in price so fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

GameStop sell to parents and grandparents who know nothing about prices, they just go in and buy.
    That's why they are still in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Gamestop is shocking pricey but at times you can get a bargain in store when they are selling off games.

Before xmess I got digimon World for the ps4 for 10 euros. Extramly good value and 2 years ago they where selling off loads of vita games for 2 euros with no boxes and I picked them all up.

If they ever closed down on the high St we are going to miss them as stupid as that sounds. As everyone moans about the shop but somehow everyone still go's in and has a look and buys things every now and then and if that go's we ate all going to be sad.

I don't wish any shops closeing on anyone as people need to work so fingers crossed gamestop will still be on the high St and not forgot about like HMV or Game in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Gamestop is shocking pricey but at times you can get a bargain in store when they are selling off games.

I agree. Picked up a Labo set for 35 before Christmas. Got bomberman for the switch there too for around 20.

Would never pay full price for anything though. Remember years ago going in for a relatively new game. It was 60 new.They had none in stock but they had a pre owned for 5 less than full price. I laughed at them when they tried to sell it to me. Went to Tesco and got the game new for 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Aside from people not knowing what they are buying, having a second hand game for 5 quid less is laughable.

Saw the bioshock collection a while back for 20, thought great bargain. Turns out they let someone trade one of the games from the box so it was only one game, shook my head at the guy and left!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

petes wrote: »
    Aside from people not knowing what they are buying, having a second hand game for 5 quid less is laughable.

Saw the bioshock collection a while back for 20, thought great bargain. Turns out they let someone trade one of the games from the box so it was only one game, shook my head at the guy and left!

They were separating them and selling them apart!
    At least, for a while.
    I couldn't understand why it was so cheap... that was why....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I don't wish any shops closeing on anyone as people need to work so fingers crossed gamestop will still be on the high St and not forgot about like HMV or Game in Ireland

Agreed 100%. But I've never understood how Gamestop could charge €5 or €10 more for a new release than Game or Tesco would back in the day. I'd hate to see them go, purely because its nice to have a browse in there and I wouldn't want to see the staff job-less. But its very rare that I'd give them a cent of my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

sugarman wrote: »
    Wouldn't miss GameStop if they closed up shop tomorrow, they're literally the ultimate last resort. I don't even bother going in for a browse anymore as half the shop is crappy merch and the other half overpriced games that end up annoying me.

Same. I don't even look at CEX anymore. They used to be great for picking up second hand games but now they cost more than buying the game new in Argos or Smyths. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Before Christmas I Got ARMS in gamestop for twenty euro, starlink accessories for much less than half price, labo robot for twenty euro. All considerably cheaper than elsewhere at the time, including amazon and Smyths, so I'd definitely miss them. To have options to shop around, even if they're only occasionally cheaper, once every blue moon, seems reason enough to be glad they're around.

Anyway, not a bargain.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Got Mario Party with the Joycons for €49.99 in Argos at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

SMC92Ian wrote:

Link for that can't see any bundles or packs with this on Argos site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

SMC92Ian wrote: »

That’s a brilliant deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Would you be able to post the Argos code?

It appears to be gone from the site now. This was it.

0045496424077-1-pdpxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

sugarman wrote: »
    Have you got the stock code from your receipt or the sticker on the box?
    I believe this was the code 895/6455 but not showing up at all.
    https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/argos-reserve-super-mario-party-joy-con-bundle-nin
    http://checkargos.com/product/8956455

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is now only to be found on those shelves behind the collection area.
    I see the game already on Adverts, with canny individuals looking for a free set of Joycons.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Might be available if you go into the shop and look it up there.
    I remember Google Mini speakers weren't on their site for ages but could be looked up in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Suckit wrote: »

Just checked this in store, none in stock locally, but also showing as €99.99.

baldshin wrote: »

I will be driving through Swords on my way home and possibly Ashbourne, I could check both those Argos' unless anyone else already has?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

baldshin wrote: »

Checked Tullamore earlier same story. Wish I had got that deal.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is now only to be found on those shelves behind the collection area.
    I see the game already on Adverts, with canny individuals looking for a free set of Joycons.

I only got it cause I wanted the joycons, the game looks pure rubbish so I'll be flogging it too.

... the game looks pure rubbish so I'll be flogging it too.

Wrong. Play with some friends. Not "pure rubbish" at all. It's great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I only got it cause I wanted the joycons, the game looks pure rubbish so I'll be flogging it too.

I bet you drove around to loads of Argos yesterday and bought loads of bundles and now your going to trade in the games and controllers and make a fortune :pac:

No wonder you didn't let us know sooner... You were afraid we'd get some before you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Argos do stockroom change overs like 2-3 times a year in prep for a new catalogue and it normally means a serious clearance of stuff, but funny enough they don't ever get advertised.

They just change the price in the system, and really are to be sent back to the distribution centre to be sent back to suppliers for credit. Every now and then, some get themselves out to the floors or to customers.

They use to appear on the old stock checkers, if you had the code from an old catalog. I remember word got out about the Xbox Hd-Drives and controllers which were being called back, but HO pushed down a pricecut to €5 with no instruction to organise them to be sent back. Remember that day it was just a flood of people coming in for them, and people saying how they saw it on boards :D

It's always worth having the physical catalog, and when the changeovers happens (january, summer, winter) see if something in the physical catalog is gone from the website. That's usually something getting sent back. But if the stockroom arn't on top of things(they need to swop the stock from being in stock to return) they can leave stock available for customers to order. And you get it for what the till shows.

That's how it used to work anyway, but I still here stories of people getting serious stuff on the cheap so must still be the way.

Going to have to raid a few Argos shops so!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

New catalogue on Friday

None in stock in Swords nor Ashbourne.... The lady in Swords said that they haven't had any since December and they are €99, None anywhere in Ireland. But she may have just looked up the basic stock check thing. I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Yoshi + Brexit
    Same release date: 29 March 2019 :)

Enjoy your cheaper game here + free egg shaped cartridge case ...
    https://www.shopto.net/nintendo/switch/SWYO01-yoshis-crafted-world

Now, will it make it out of the UK !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

conormario wrote: »
    Yoshi + Brexit
    Same release date: 29 March 2019 :)

Enjoy your cheaper game here + free egg shaped cartridge case ...
    https://www.shopto.net/nintendo/switch/SWYO01-yoshis-crafted-world

Now, will it make it out of the UK !!!!

Also in Smyth's if you pick up in store ... for 50 euro.
    A lot of money for Yoshi.
    Will wait for reviews and/or discount later.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I need a review for that one first...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement