Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Binding of Isaac is a great deal, coming with all of the dlc to date, deep game too, despite being a twin stick shooter.
    Vvvvvv is very good as well, and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

sligeach wrote: »
    Cave Story+ and Ikaruga are really good games.

+1 for Ikaruga. Think I've owned it on every console I've owned since the Dreamcast. Still sh1te at it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Counterpoint :
    I found Cave Story unengaging - it looks and feels like a home made cover-disk game on the PC in the 90s.
    I found Ikaruga unengaging - Aside from the fact that it expects you to read the manual so you know about the colour-shifting mechanic, it's very repetitive and quite slow moving, which might be great if you're into learning patterns and repeating them, but sure why not just buy a Simon in smyths if that's your thing?
    I thought Enter the Gungeon was better than Binding of Isaac, and neither one of them is Smash TV.

I am by far in the minority, both here and on the internet at large. By most accounts they are all stand-out examples of their respective genres. But if you buy them and regret your purchase, know that you are not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Banjo wrote: »
    Counterpoint :
    I found Cave Story unengaging - it looks and feels like a home made cover-disk game on the PC in the 90s.
    I found Ikaruga unengaging - Aside from the fact that it expects you to read the manual so you know about the colour-shifting mechanic, it's very repetitive and quite slow moving, which might be great if you're into learning patterns and repeating them, but sure why not just buy a Simon in smyths if that's your thing?
    I thought Enter the Gungeon was better than Binding of Isaac, and neither one of them is Smash TV.

I am by far in the minority, both here and on the internet at large. By most accounts they are all stand-out examples of their respective genres. But if you buy them and regret your purchase, know that you are not alone.

I tend to agree. Cave Story+ was fine, I finished it, but didn't get the hype. Much better Metroid-vania games out there.

Ikaruga, like you said, is obtuse, and I was never a bullet hell aficionado. I tried, but failed to get into it past the first level or two.

Enter the Gungeon was, I suppose, fine, but didn't really enjoy it enough to play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭baldshin

Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle Gold Edition (with season pass) is €24.99 in Smyth's. (Gold edition not on the website but is in store, at least in Limerick.)

Also had Mini NES Controllers for €9.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

baldshin wrote: »
    Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle Gold Edition (with season pass) is €24.99 in Smyth's. (Gold edition not on the website but is in store, at least in Limerick.)

Also had Mini NES Controllers for €9.99.

It's actually not in store - I went to buy it last week, and they brought out the regular edition and started to ring it up - I said that's not the same game, and he said it was - I pointed out the Gold Edition part, and he went in the back, and said there was none there. They just had the Gold dummy boxes out, but only vanilla stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Owlboy is 40% off on the Eshop at the moment, down to E13.79 or around 10 bob from Mother Russia.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

chrislad wrote: »
    It's actually not in store - I went to buy it last week, and they brought out the regular edition and started to ring it up - I said that's not the same game, and he said it was - I pointed out the Gold Edition part, and he went in the back, and said there was none there. They just had the Gold dummy boxes out, but only vanilla stock.

Yeah same happened me, gold edition should be 29.99 and they rang up standard edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

chrislad wrote: »
    The gold edition was on sale on amazon France and Italy for €24 + (I think Italy was cheaper) delivery around €5.
    So around the same price.

Edit. - yikes. A quick look on hagglezon says it is up around €40 - €50. It was definitely cheaper, I think it was posted in this thread.

ao.com are having a sale, 2 games plus code = £10 off
    I think you can use them with UK virtual address.
    You need to use the code GAME10

For example
    Super Mario Odyssey £39 (- £5) = £34 (€38.80)
    Mario Tennis Aces £39 (- £5) = £34 (€38.80)
    + €3.85 delivery using PW/PM/AP/PC
    = Roughly €40.70 each

Basically minus £5 and plus €1.65 ish for each game.
    There are cheaper games to add
    Captain Toad, Dark Souls: Remastered, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna, LEGO DC Super-Villains, Paw Patrol: On A Roll, Trials Rising Gold Edition, and Child of Light & Valiant Hearts: The Great War are all £29 (£24 + €1.65)

All Nintendo games in the offer are here - https://ao.com/l/nintendo-savea310on2games/6-24/99/?pagesize=12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sine Mora EX is £15 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071LNL7KG/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Edit : looking at HUKD it's the same price in Game, if for some reason you prefer to not have the option of piling on other stuff for free delivery
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sine-mora-ex-nintendo-switch-1499-free-cc-195-for-delivery-game-amazon-3182620

If memory serves, this came recommended as a decent shooter by the same people who like Ikaruga, so it might be ****e :D (I'm not bitter....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Hasbro Game Night for Switch £18.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07J6ZZ83K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭baldshin

Was in Gamestop in Limerick City today and they had ALL 3ds games, both new and pre-owned marked as buy 1 get 1 free. Most were crazy overpriced and not worth it in the deal, but they had some decent bargains like Luigis Mansion (the new one), Captain Toad and Detective Pikachu for €39.99, so pretty good deal if you're after 2 of them!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hasbro Game Night for Switch £18.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07J6ZZ83K

Thanks for that, been waiting for this to drop for a while!

Switch arrived today from amazon France :D:D:D:D:D
    I wasn't expecting the amazon box to be so small, was trying to figure out if I ordered anything else.
    I guess I hadn't given the size to much thought.
    Time to load up Pokemon :)

Edit - Holy crap it's small. And the neon controls are brighter than I expected. Love it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got a nice like new rumble pack for my N64 and a 25th Anniversary of SMB model DSi:XL in The Game Trader in Belfast yesterday.
    A great shop tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not something on sale but for me was a bargain.

Puzzle Bobble just showed up on the eshop this morning for €7. Looks like the arcade version.

Girlfriends favourite game and I love it. Playing with us and the kids all morning. Can play two player too. Think it's a great pickup personally.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Not something on sale but for me was a bargain.

Puzzle Bobble just showed up on the eshop this morning for €7. Looks like the arcade version.

Girlfriends favourite game and I love it. Playing with us and the kids all morning. Can play two player too. Think it's a great pickup personally.
    Both the original and the first sequel are available, the NeoGeo games, terribly addictive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I got a nice like new rumble pack for my N64 and a 25th Anniversary of SMB model DSi:XL in The Game Trader in Belfast yesterday.
    A great shop tbh.

Nice little place one of those like the room of requirement you stumbled upon by accident but great place I can't get up to Belfast much but always pay Smithfield market a visit when I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Just got a switch again recently. Any sites in particular good for discounts on digital switch games? The pc ones I use mostly don't do them.

• Advertisement

I bought "The Way Remastered" on eStore for 99c earlier, great little game so far.
    Does anybody have any recommendations for the games < €2 on offer?

I have a small bit of credit left over and I see there are a few of them, but not sure which to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Best place to get the new Yoshi game? Not paying €60 for a Switch game.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Best place to get the new Yoshi game? Not paying €60 for a Switch game.

It's on Base.com for €46.43 Don't know if that is the best, but cheapest I saw when looking.
    https://www.base.com/buy/product/yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch/dgc-yoshins.htm

Edited - Just saw it now on shopto with egg shaped carrying case for £39.85 (€45.48)
    https://www.shopto.net/nintendo/switch/SWYO01-yoshis-crafted-world

Suckit wrote: »
    It's on Base.com for €46.43 Don't know if that is the best, but cheapest I saw when looking.
    https://www.base.com/buy/product/yoshis-crafted-world-nintendo-switch/dgc-yoshins.htm

Edited - Just saw it now on shopto with egg shaped carrying case for £39.85 (€45.48)
    https://www.shopto.net/nintendo/switch/SWYO01-yoshis-crafted-world

Thank You, I'm happy enough with €45 for Yoshi, best games imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Not paying €60 for a Switch game.

As a matter of interest, why wouldn't you pay €60 for a Switch game? Would you pay €60 for a game on another platform?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, why wouldn't you pay €60 for a Switch game? Would you pay €60 for a game on another platform?

In fairness, it is only in exceptional circumstances that I would pay €60 for any game!
    And that category would have included most of the 1st party releases on the Switch, but I don't know if this will be one of them, a price point of €45 would seem more appropriate, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In fairness, it is only in exceptional circumstances that I would pay €60 for any game!
    And that category would have included most of the 1st party releases on the Switch, but I don't know if this will be one of them, a price point of €45 would seem more appropriate, imho.

I was just wondering as Ian said he wouldn't pay €60 for a Switch game. Does he see the switch games as lower quality to other platforms and they are worth €60?

Anyway in this day and age you'll get most games for around €40-€45.

I was just wondering as Ian said he wouldn't pay €60 for a Switch game. Does he see the switch games as lower quality to other platforms and they are worth €60?

Anyway in this day and age you'll get most games for around €40-€45.

To me yes they are, it's a little fun 2d platformer, most I'd normally pay would be €25, that's how much Sonic Mania was and that's fair. I just don't see Nintendo games in the same light as others. But it's Yoshi and I'd be willing to pay €45 day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Does he see the switch games as lower quality to other platforms and they are worth €60?

I'll take the bait here - I don't think they're worth €60. Granted its rare that I'd ever need to spend that much on a game. I love the Switch, but I see it as I saw the 3DS. A secondary console, great for traveling or handheld gaming.

I got Super Mario Odyssey as a gift close to release. While I thought it was an excellent game, it's not very challenging and it didn't take too long to play through. The visuals and mechanics are awesome (as always when it comes to Mario), but that wouldn't be enough to part with €60 for it. While it is designed to be replayed, I don't feel the want or need to collect more moons. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't think it can be treated in the same vein as a €60 PS4/Xbox triple A title.

Right now I'm dying to get my hands on Tropical Freeze, but there's no way I'm even spending €40 on it. I know I just won't get enough use out of it to justify the cost.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    I bought "The Way Remastered" on eStore for 99c earlier, great little game so far.

Sorry to quote my own post, but seeing as i would be repeating myself otherwise.

I've spent more time playing this game than Pokemon, Hyrule Warriors, Grip and Asterix combined so far. :)
    I have other games, just not got around to them yet.
    When I bought it, I expected it to be one level or short anyway. I started it up and it's quite addictive. Lovely little game. It reminds me of two games from a long time ago :) Another World and Xain'D Sleena to a much lesser extent.

https://youtu.be/QK8mJJJvaes?t=62

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement