Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Notorious wrote: »
    I'll take the bait here - I don't think they're worth €60.

The important thing to remember here is that worth is relative. I'd happily pay €60 for Mario Kart or a Zelda game, because I know I'll get huge amounts of enjoyment from them. I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 for Xbox, on the other hand, and thought it was a huge waste of money. Doesn't mean RDR isn't worth €60 - it just means its not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just posted in YLYL but relevant to this discussion!

9760_06f5_500.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Keep in mind this is not a discussion thread, but a bargain alert thread, if you want to debate the merits of paying full price for a game or what that even means, make a thread for it. Please keep this thread on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

3 for 2 switch games on amazon - Not much of a choice, maybe it will update.
    https://www.amazon.es/gp/promotion/A1KHI2AVXVZ1GX?ie=UTF8&ref_=plp_aw_rd_A1KHI2AVXVZ1GX

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Suckit wrote: »
    3 for 2 switch games on amazon - Not much of a choice, maybe it will update.
    https://www.amazon.es/gp/promotion/A1KHI2AVXVZ1GX?ie=UTF8&ref_=plp_aw_rd_A1KHI2AVXVZ1GX

I've ordered 2 copies of Smash Bros(I'll sell or trade in 1), as well as 1 copy of Mario Tennis. €98.58 including delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

manual_man wrote: »
    I've ordered 2 copies of Smash Bros, as well as 1 copy of Mario Tennis. €98.58 including delivery

Nice ordered 2 copies of Smash and a copy of Kirby. CEX will give €70 for Kirby and the extra copy of Smash leaving me with a total cost of €28.61 for Smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Nice ordered 2 copies of Smash and a copy of Kirby. CEX will give €70 for Kirby and the extra copy of Smash leaving me with a total cost of €28.61 for Smash.

Good deal. Presume the box art will be in Spanish? Any issues with CeX taking them as trade in in foreign language?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

skerry wrote: »
    Good deal. Presume the box art will be in Spanish? Any issues with CeX taking them as trade in in foreign language?

I traded ones from Amazon.de in to GameStop before and there was no hassle. Can't see CEX being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

manual_man wrote: »
    I've ordered 2 copies of Smash Bros(I'll sell or trade in 1), as well as 1 copy of Mario Tennis. €98.58 including delivery

I did the exact same this morning. CEX offering €42 cash for Smash Bros. which effectively means you can get Super Smash Bros. and Mario Tennis for €56.50!!

Bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

You won't be able to trade them into cex Spanish box ;) needs a UK and Ireland box for cex even if the game is in English

• Advertisement

You won't be able to trade them into cex Spanish box ;) needs a UK and Ireland box for cex even if the game is in English

I've sold the extra copy of Smash to a friend for €35, and Kirby is on the trade list in GameStop so I still won't be at a loss. Hell I'd get more for Kirby by doing so as they've switched the offer back to trade from list, get game for €20 they were doing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

I tried trading in a Canadian PS4 game recently to CEX. Despite the art being the same as the English version and the game being multi-region, they couldn't accept it because it didn't have the PEGI certification.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a lot to be said about printing out the EU barcode and slipping that sucker into the slipcase cover....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I've sold the extra copy of Smash to a friend for €35, and Kirby is on the trade list in GameStop so I still won't be at a loss. Hell I'd get more for Kirby by doing so as they've switched the offer back to trade from list, get game for €20 they were doing last year.

Again back of the box will be in spainish and gamestop also will not take as its not a UK and Ireland copy.

Even with a eu barcode they won't take it. Game box art is Spanish haveing said thay if you have a really good printer in work you could print a cover out but I would fell sorry for who ever ends up with that copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Again back of the box will be in spainish and gamestop also will not take as its not a UK and Ireland copy.

That's not true. I bought games in the 3 for 2 offer on Amazon.de and I trade Xenoblade into my local GameStop no problem. My brother traded Fire Emblem in as well in GameStop in Kilkenny.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's not true. I bought games in the 3 for 2 offer on Amazon.de and I trade Xenoblade into my local GameStop no problem. My brother traded Fire Emblem in as well in GameStop in Kilkenny.

Agreed. I ended up with a Dutch copy of the Spider-man SE from Gamestop when that was released in September. I've also seen foreign language boxes for other Nintendo titles in the s/h items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I traded in 9 games last week and the girl in CEX not once checked the box art, she checked the disc, scanned it, gave me money. Job done.

Also printing out fake covers is a d*ck move.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I traded in 9 games last week and the girl in CEX not once checked the box art, she checked the disc, scanned it, gave me money. Job done.

I agree with that, not like CEX haven't been known to do that themselves either though.

In fairness, I'm only talking about the barcode, so it scans as the cart is, seeing as they are the same game anyway.
    And I've been stung with enough scratched stuff from CEX that I'd be hard pushed to feel too bad for them.
    Not like anyone is trading in non-working games here.

It's not a practice I do myself, it's simply a suggestion off the top of my head to help a poster here out.

If your moral centre doesn't allow it, don't do it.

Barcode is grand, not the whole cover though. I never bought from CEX so don't have exp with broken or scratched games.

• Advertisement

Barcode is grand, not the whole cover though. I never bought from CEX so don't have exp with broken or scratched games.

No, I agree.
    I wouldn't like to make a chump of another customer, but if they are trying to be assh0les about a region free game scanning so someone can't trade it in....

That being true...

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few non-EU games for sale in CEX on occasion.

Might be my old age though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Unfortunately CEX photocopy enough covers themselves to put with games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

They take German language copies of Zelda linknto past and snes era rpgs, which are not exactly what you're looking for when buying them.

I've pointed this out to staff before because didn't want to see anyone get caught but they didn't do anything.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    They take German language copies of Zelda linknto past and snes era rpgs, which are not exactly what you're looking for when buying them.

I've pointed this out to staff before because didn't want to see anyone get caught but they didn't do anything.

What? They sell ancient games too? Probably not the place to be discussing this so we'll move on before the mods strike.

Yeah, coz the mods are a bunch of .... Hold on a minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What? It's not off topic, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lads might i suggest offering games you are going to trade for fellow boardsies to buy?

Im trying to build a library for the switch and cex etc are rip off to buy games in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mega Man 11 Physical US Edition for £22.99 at 365Games.

https://www.365games.co.uk/nintendo-switch-games/mega-man-11-nintendo-switch-game--

Lads might i suggest offering games you are going to trade for fellow boardsies to buy?

Im trying to build a library for the switch and cex etc are rip off to buy games in

No selling in the forum I'm afraid, trading only, in the swaps thread, and you can link to Adverts pages if you like, in the bargains thread.
    No sales at all permitted and any post circumventing this will be deleted, repeat offenders will be warned/infracted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Worked in CeX for 4 years or so. Actually one of the nicer gameshops to work outside of the usual management politics and ****e that goes on everywhere.

A lot of the time it’s plain staff error for games to be bought in that aren’t Pal (outside of region free) and have an English option. Once the game is the correct Region and has English as a language option you’re good to go. So for example ‘Beyond good and Evil’ on the GameCube, if the box is in French but has French/English/Spanish language options you good to Go. If the box is in German and has German/Italian/Portuguese then it’s a no go.

Another thing that is 100% staff error and not the norm is buying in anything that isn’t official or is scratched/faulty. The staff should be trained on how to spot fakes, DS carts etc but after training enough people, some just couldn’t give a **** if the game burst into flames after a long shift ha ha

They can’t buy anything that doesn’t have the original cover/inlay. Any printed inlays are a relatively new thing. They used to send games etc that were missing their inlays to another company/branch for sorting. Some sort of legal loophole allows them to now print their own covers. I can’t remember the details but yeah. They should be asking if it’s ok for the inlay to be printed and shouldn’t have any problem returning one if you didn’t realize. You’d be surprised at how many people (vast majority) just couldn’t care what packaging/manuals etc were with a game. Myself, not having the correct manual/case/bits and bobs drives me crazy.

The ONLY reason the cover is ever printed is because some ****er nicked it from the shop. Either thinking that the game was in there or more likely to give them a nice inlay to the copy they nicked elsewhere. Honestly the amount of cases that got lifted was crazy. Far more than anywhere else I worked. Plus it was always cases for rare or valuable games, Paper Mario thousand year door, that kind of stuff. Never FIFA 15.

Oh also, in my main store myself and the supers demanded the staff take the manual and keep it with the discs. A LOT of stores don’t. The amount of manuals lifted from GameCube games, Xbox free trails, rarer PS2 stuff, PSN codes etc etc People are jerks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement