Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bkrangle wrote: »

Worth picking up? Does it play well in handheld mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Worth picking up? Does it play well in handheld mode?
    I think most have said it is better as a digital download (don't need the extra toys).

I bought the physical version and have only attempted to play it once months ago, as it was a pain to set up and put the pilots into the plastic thing and change the ship.

But that could be more down to me not having the patience for something like that, than anything to do with the game. Maybe more for collectors. The game itself is supposed to be very good, but I've not played it enough to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Suckit wrote:
    I bought the physical version and have only attempted to play it once months ago, as it was a pain to set up and put the pilots into the plastic thing and change the ship.

You can buy the digital dlc and forget the messing around. I bought the physical and haven't bothered to used the ships & guns. The starting ones are all available through in game menu

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

bkrangle wrote: »

Maybe a stupid question but does that set include the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

laneykin wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but does that set include the game?

Yes it does. And you dont have to keep the toys in the starter kit. They are included in the game by default. If you buy other toys then you need to reconnect them every week to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

nedd wrote: »
    Yes it does. And you dont have to keep the toys in the starter kit. They are included in the game by default. If you buy other toys then you need to reconnect them every week to use them.

Wow that’s a great price if that’s the case! Might give it a go.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Suckit wrote: »
    I think most have said it is better as a digital download (don't need the extra toys).

But that could be more down to me not having the patience for something like that, than anything to do with the game. Maybe more for collectors. The game itself is supposed to be very good, but I've not played it enough to tell.

Do you have to do that? I assumed I'd be able to just play the game as normal if I wanted to. Not really too fussed about the toys/collectable aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There are 2 modes. Physical and Digital
    The starter kit comes with the Physical versions of 2 of the guns, the Starfox ship (and wings?) and Starfox as a pilot. It also includes digital versions of all of the above as well as the regular start kit pilot and ship.

If you play in Digital mode you don't need any of that **** and you don't need to use the Ship Mount to stick your Joycons into.

The obvious disadvantages of Physical mode are that you need to have access to the relevant ship, gun or pilot to play with it, as well as have the bespoke joycon mount to hand. The advantage is that you can multiples of a single gun if you own it. And you can fly it around the room when the Switch battery runs out, going Neeeeeeeoooooooooom!

It's not completely insignificant - having 2 of the same gun apparently gives you an additional firing mode or something.

Connecting a Physical ship that is NOT in your digital library (i.e. anything you buy in smyths/argos that ISN'T in the starter pack) will unlock it in your digital library for 7 days, so you can scan them in once a week and still play on the go.

You can choose / switch whether you're in Physical or Digital mode from an ingame menu. When in physical mode, disconnecting the ship or parts of the ship make them disappear in game, so if your kids / siblings come in and start tugging at the wings, you can be down a gun very quickly.

Why would you want to buy more ships?
    Ships are Lives. When your ship explodes it's not available for selection for a good while. Switching ships gives you options. Effectively the Switch starter set gives you 2 lives. Also, some ships are fast, some are tough, some just look cool. However, the switch version has a distinct disadvantage here - the Starfox Arwings are the coolest and fastest ships in the game, so why would you ever want to change?
    I'll tell you why - cause slapping on weapons feels BOSS!

Why more pilots?
    Each pilot has a distinct pilot skill that you can charge up and use in emergencies. So I guess you might want to be able to use different skills? I can never remember what button it is...

Why more weapons ?
    There are different types of damage, which are used in different situations and also to open damage-type-keyed locks. If you don't have one of each you can't access 100% of the content. And many enemies resist some damage and are weak to others, it helps to be able to change.
    Also, some weapons are Precision, some are Area of Effect, some are Status inflicting, some fire fast, some fire slow. Different tools for different jobs.

Ah right that sounds good. So I basically just select "digital mode" in game and I can put the toy Arwing on a shelf somewhere to look cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

Ah right that sounds good. So I basically just select "digital mode" in game and I can put the toy Arwing on a shelf somewhere to look cool.

Yes, and you have a fairly decent game for €11.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I must get back to completing it. It's a bit grindy at the end, but for the 20quid or so I paid, it's worth the investment, and I've not actually touched the new DLC yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

For 11 euro you can't go wrong. I got 30 or so hours into it and still enjoyed it. Like a no mans sky but with things to do. It gets a bit repetitive but in a relaxing kinda way as it's not stressful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Do you have to do that? I assumed I'd be able to just play the game as normal if I wanted to. Not really too fussed about the toys/collectable aspect.

For the items in the starter pack you get physical and digital versions included. Anything extra that you buy as a physical item, you'll need to periodically (i.e. at least weekly) connect using their (godawful, seriously uncomfortable) custom controller.

I have gotten an awful lot of enjoyment out of Starlink as a sort of stealth Starwing game, and I think the core mechanics and setup are genuinely enjoyable, but the whole toys-to-life thing was a stupid choice for it - as evidenced by the fact that Ubisoft have now bailed on it. It has some unfortunate repercussions for the game's design, but you can deal with them (especially if you're getting the game for cheap).

The Starter Pack is worth buying in the physical form - but if you decide to go for any DLC just buy the digital version unless actually having a physical toy is a good value proposition for you. In terms of the game, the physical option is a net detriment IMO.

Speaking of DLC: there have been 2 expansions to the game itself separate to to the weapon/pilot/ship DLC. One is the Crimson Moon expansion - this is free and everyone gets it - it adds a planet where you can do races and wave-based battle challenges. The other is the Star Fox expansion - this is paid-for and adds missions for the rest of Team Star Fox, including boss fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Aragami for switch is €19 in Argos think I'll grab it at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Aragami for switch is €19 in Argos think I'll grab it at that price

I had thought about getting it in the past myself, but the games pretty short from what i can tell, so i decided to not bother with it.

Mark of the Ninja is longer than it and i was blown away by how short that was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8672320/Trail/searchtext%3ENintendo+smash.htm

Nintendo Smash Bros Bundle down to €333 in Argos.

Mulling over getting this or waiting for the new version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

nix wrote: »
    I had thought about getting it in the past myself, but the games pretty short from what i can tell, so i decided to not bother with it.

Mark of the Ninja is longer than it and i was blown away by how short that was :(

Buy for €19, complete it and sell it to CEX for €17!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Astral Chain is still up on Amazon UK pre-order for £40.99, which at €44 is a damn sight cheaper than the €60 I see it being her at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Good price on Gear. Club Unlimited 2, around the 25 euro mark.
    I liked Edens other games and this seems fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Any ideas where I can pick up a spare switch docking station at a good price?

Have one on the main tv but looking for a second one for a different room

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Cex have them for 80. I dont think anyone is selling them new anymore. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

If you don't mind waiting for a while this dock on Kickstarter is looking very interesting and unobtrusive.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-covert-dock?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=Switch%20dock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

If you don't mind waiting for a while this dock on Kickstarter is looking very interesting and unobtrusive.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-covert-dock?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=Switch%20dock

Until it bricks your console like it did the proper Switches consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Until it bricks your console like it did the proper Switches consoles.

This is a completely different dock. There is a section on the Kickstarter stating how they are mitigating that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Astral Chain is still up on Amazon UK pre-order for £40.99, which at €44 is a damn sight cheaper than the €60 I see it being her at launch.

Smyths have it up for 50. I'd prefer buy local for the sake of only an extra fiver. I really want that special edition though. STILL out of stock on the uk store for pre-order :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Walking Dead for Switch - €10 in Smyths. Stock not too bad
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-gaming/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-games/telltale-s-the-walking-dead-the-final-season-nintendo-switch/p/173563

Bear in mind though that Season 1 is eShop only and there's no Season 2 on the Switch so chances are either you can get this cheaper on another platform of your choice, or you won't be experiencing the full story so there's no point in buy it other than to flip it to a cash conversion service or something :D

Also, HUKD are flagging that Monster Hunter is a tenner in the UK and its not on the Smyths Ireland site any more - that means it's probably in the same position as those other €10 games from earlier in the year, in that it's off the system but if they have it in your store it's dirt cheap. Go forth! Especially if you're near the magic stores in Sligo, Limerick and Cork that always have the last dregs of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Banjo wrote: »
    Walking Dead for Switch - €10 in Smyths. Stock not too bad
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-gaming/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-games/telltale-s-the-walking-dead-the-final-season-nintendo-switch/p/173563

Bear in mind though that Season 1 is eShop only and there's no Season 2 on the Switch so chances are either you can get this cheaper on another platform of your choice, or you won't be experiencing the full story so there's no point in buy it other than to flip it to a cash conversion service or something :D

Also, HUKD are flagging that Monster Hunter is a tenner in the UK and its not on the Smyths Ireland site any more - that means it's probably in the same position as those other €10 games from earlier in the year, in that it's off the system but if they have it in your store it's dirt cheap. Go forth! Especially if you're near the magic stores in Sligo, Limerick and Cork that always have the last dregs of stock.

It's coming soon - might be better off waiting for a physical with the whole lot.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/telltales_the_walking_dead_seasons_1_2_and_3_are_all_coming_to_switch_this_year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement