Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

cloud493 wrote: »
    I meant a link between worlds :p

Secondhand, so not like for like.
    But you know that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Smoggy wrote: »
    Secondhand, so not like for like.
    But you know that :D

It's usually not sealed from Xtravision though, so it's much of a muchness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It's usually not sealed from Xtravision though, so it's much of a muchness.

As long as it's new, it still counts. Not only will you get the scratch points, but you'll be supporting the developers etc. Buying it from CeX just to save €5 isn't right. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of used games...but never when the difference in price is so little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

^ This.

As far as the developers/publishers of the game go, when you buy second hand they get nothing at all. Buying new means they get paid, and it encourages creation of sequels/new games by the same developers/publishers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My reasoning goes somewhere along the line of (Or would do I didnt have this game already)

- xtravision are dicks with bad staff and bad customer service
    - the game is more expensive anyway
    - Cex are generally 'alright'
    - up yours xtravision.

• Advertisement

My reasoning goes somewhere along the line of (Or would do I didnt have this game already)

- xtravision are dicks with bad staff and bad customer service
    - the game is more expensive anyway
    - Cex are generally 'alright'
    - up yours xtravision.

In fairness, thats pretty poor reasoning to not support developers/publishers. Five euro more means the developers get paid, & they're the folks that people should be supporting...not particular vendors.

But I've already bought that particular game brand new :p
    And the developers aren't the ones I have to deal with when I want the actual game, if I have the choice these days I generally go for brand new off amazon.

But I've already bought that particular game brand new :p
    And the developers aren't the ones I have to deal with when I want the actual game, if I have the choice these days I generally go for brand new off amazon.

I've the game too...but just in general I was making the point that it's very short sighted to buy used over new when the prices are within a few euros only. The absolute most I pay for a used game is in or around a tenner, I'd stretch to fifteen if it was something hard to get or rare (this is recent consoles I'm talking about...I wish I could buy rare Snes games for fifteen quid :P).

If it means getting the developers paid, I'll happily deal with poor staff, again only if we're talking a few euro. And same as, Amazon all the way for most stuff. I've bought quite a lot from CeX too, I find them alright too, certainly miles better than Xtra Vision...but when we're considering new games, personally, making the sale count is the priority over the which vendor.

Think the moral of the story here is, amazon are great, give money to the developer. I would rather pay amazon for the game in fact then get it cheaper in xtravision.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    ...but just in general I was making the point that it's very short sighted to buy used over new when the prices are within a few euros only.

Agreed, if there's only a small difference then I go with brand new also - if I'm being honest though it's not with the deliberate intention to support the developer (that's a nice side affect), it's because I prefer my games not to have been mauled/scratched/points used by someone else beforehand.

Anymore than a fiver though and I go with the cheaper version, my health of my wallet is more important than the developer's! :pac: Monster Hunter 3 Wii-U for example, €25 2nd hand from CeX online versus approx €40 new on Amazon, went with CeX.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Agreed, if there's only a small difference then I go with brand new also - if I'm being honest though it's not with the deliberate intention to support the developer (that's a nice side affect), it's because I prefer my games not to have been mauled/scratched/points used by someone else beforehand.

I can understand that, I'd be the same myself. Give me a minty fresh/sealed game over a tatty case, scratched disc & missing manual every time :o
    Anymore than a fiver though and I go with the cheaper version, my health of my wallet is more important than the developer's! :pac: Monster Hunter 3 Wii-U for example, €25 2nd hand from CeX online versus approx €40 new on Amazon, went with CeX.

Again, can't argue with that. Fifteen quid is a substantial saving. I'm only making the point of when it's literally a few euro, it's best to buy new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/products/the-legend-of-zelda-carry-case-239
    Hyrulian Crest pencil case / general purpose pouch on Star Catalogue for 4000 points

They say you can stick a 3DS and some games in it, but I think that's in the same sense that you can use a tesco bag for life to carry your 3DS and a bunch of games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Myrddin wrote: »
    As long as it's new, it still counts. Not only will you get the scratch points, but you'll be supporting the developers etc. Buying it from CeX just to save €5 isn't right. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of used games...but never when the difference in price is so little.

I bought the game new from Amazon and I haven't bought much second hand 3ds stuff, so I wouldn't be adovacting getting stuff second hand. Unless there was a massive difference in price.
    I was just pointing out an very annoying and totally unnecessary practice that xtravision have, that of opening all the stick the get and putting it on the shop floor.
    And saying that you would rather get it opened from the likes of xtravision and gamestop because you will get the scratch cards is a good point but I've gotten a good few games from a local gamestop that had the points used.
    And I've seen first hand what some people do with games in xtravision.

I'd rather support the makers of the game in an ideal world but the likes of xtravision and GameStop make it hard to do.
    To sum it up - used games are grand - new is better - amazon over xtravision/GameStop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

This prob the wrong thread to ask but is there any grip for the 3DS XL that people would say is a good one to get ?. The 3DS is the only handheld console ever to give me a cramp in my left tomb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As a consumer I am after the best deal I can, and I don't really care where I buy it, once it's legal.
    So I bought my WiiU new but I bought my 3DS XL and 2DS preowned.
    II don't mind because the person who bought them in the first instance shouldn't, in retrospect, have bought them in the first place, so really it's a matter of the device finding it's way home!
    My PS4 is preowned as well and, seeing as they make a loss on each console, I am spending enough on games both online and in store to more than make up for the preowned console, and they'll do better out of me compared to the previous owner, he bought and played feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would have had far more Wii/3DS games by now if it was not for the region locking, so just use Amazon exclusively for Nintendo games at the moment, with VGP and sometimes Amazon for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

abbir wrote: »
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I guess I'll soon find out if you're right about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hyrule Warriors Special Edition for €50.99 + €6 Shipping.

It says €59.99, but if you add an item for €1 and use code 2014paypal10euro on the 2nd screen, there is a €10 discount applied.

It probably won't get here on release day, but it seems to be the best price, including from the nintendo store.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Nice One!

Germany Again.. :)

Zelda Wii U Bundle, with that Gamepad - €270.12 Delivered to your house, or ~ €263 Delivered to Parcel Motel (Including Parcel Motel Fee).

http://www.amazon.de/Nintendo-Wii-Konsole-Premium-schwarz/dp/B00EUE9TLS/

7rPY6Rf.jpg

• Advertisement

Nintendo Downloads from Tomorrow 21st of August
    Double Dragon's back, classic portable Mega Man, demos, discounts and more
    Monday morning can be a slightly bleak time, but it is brightened up by the European Nintendo Download Update,
    that shows us what's on the way in the coming week. It seems like a fairly modest line-up this week, though there are some enticing retro options,
    demos and some discounts on highly regarded games. Let's get to the details.

Wii U Virtual Console
    Adventures of Lolo (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — The classic tale of Princess is kidnapped, blue blob must save Princess. So far, so typical NES, though despite ageing in some respects it throws up some fun puzzles and challenges. You can check out our Adventures of Lolo review for the full lowdown.
    Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Arc System Works. €4.99 / £3.49) — The iconic action beat 'em up series' second NES entry has the grisly premise that you're now avenging a death rather than a kidnapping. Although it improves on some flaws in the original its far from perfect, though we gave it a cautious recommendation in our Double Dragon II: The Revenge review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts
    Nano Assault NEO [Shin'en Multimedia, €7.49 / £6.70 until 11th September, normally €9.99 / £8.99)
    Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules, €3.49 / £2.99 until 11th September, normally €6.99 / £5.99)

3DS Virtual Console
    Mega Man IV (Capcom, €3.99 / £3.59) — While its predecessors on Game Boy often borrowed or directly copied content from the NES Mega Man games, this fourth entry on the venerable portable does the same to a lesser degree and also introduces fresh ideas. Some of its features went on to become mainstays of the series, while this is the work of a development team familiar with the hardware and at the peak of its powers. You can read the enthusiastic recommendation in our Mega Man IV review for more details.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival (Konami, €19.95 / £17.99 until 5th September, normally €39.95 / £34.99)
    Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia, €7.49 / £6.35 until 11th September, normally €9.99 / £8.49)
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, €5.99 / £5.39 until 18th September, normally €7.99 / £7.19)
    Van Helsing sniper Zx100 (EnjoyUp Games, €2.69 / £2.69 until 24th September, normally €6.66 / £6.66)

3DS eShop Demos
    Tomodachi Life (Nintendo, free)
    Bit Boy!! ARCADE (Bplus, free)
    That's everything for this week, European gamers. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.
    LAST WEEKS DOWNLOADS STILL AVAILABLE - EXPIRE TONIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Double Dragon and Mega Man shall be picked up :)

Xenji wrote: »
    Double Dragon and Mega Man shall be picked up :)

Yep, not a lot this week, but same as you. Also Nano Assault looks okay. The trailer for Chasing Aurora doesn't really sell it.. It looks very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,211 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sonic Lost World is £17.86 on amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cart/view.html/ref=nav_cart

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Thanks. Anyone think the Deadly Six Edition may be worth the extra ~ £7?

Correct Link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-Lost-World-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B00HQEOC8O/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah crap, I had 2 tabs open and copied the wrong one.

Looks like they pulled the deadly 6 edition for now

Ah crap, I had 2 tabs open and copied the wrong one.

Looks like they pulled the deadly 6 edition for now

The one below is in stock
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00CMJ19M0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It's a good price but I reckon another 6months or so and it'll be goin for a lot less than that. Closer to the likes of other current budget titles like Deus ex and AC3, etc.. at about €12

I played the demo and unfortunately wasn't blown away at all so definitely can wait a while longer to give it a proper go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement