Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles bargain alert thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'm not sure wowhd are included, but I think they are. I read an article a while back (It may have been a few years ago :eek::o) that a lot of the companies based in the Channel Islands, were using some tax loophole in the UK. The UK government then shut it down (the loophole).
    After it was shut down, to get around it, they send packages to the U.S. and back again.. That might explain the delay.

I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As far as I know, companies like Wowhd send everything over from Hong Kong, it is like seeing an Ebay seller saying he is based in the UK when it is actually China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Star Lord wrote: »
    The only way I'd give CD/HD WOW my business anymore is if they were the only source for a given game. Got stung way too many times.

How do you mean? Were they late or did they not turn up at all? Lateness I can tolerate but lost packages? No.

For me nothing has ever gone missing but they're disastrous on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sligeach wrote: »
    How do you mean? Were they late or did they not turn up at all? Lateness I can tolerate but lost packages? No.

For me nothing has ever gone missing but they're disastrous on time.

Both. In fairness to them, they did resend, but that meant the game I'd ordered as a present didn't get to my sister till weeks after her birthday.

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm not sure wowhd are included, but I think they are. I read an article a while back (It may have been a few years ago :eek::o) that a lot of the companies based in the Channel Islands, were using some tax loophole in the UK. The UK government then shut it down (the loophole).
    After it was shut down, to get around it, they send packages to the U.S. and back again.. That might explain the delay.

I'll see if I can find it.

This is a similar article. It's not the actual one I read, which listed all of them, but this is the jist.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/nov/16/hut-avoid-vat-shipping-via-us

I don't know if wowhd are one of them, and as Xenji said, they may ship from Hong Kong. But it's worth knowing the othr companies that are based in the Channel Islands probably do this. They all have long delivery times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yes, wowhd, and most of the cheap online retailers send from outside the EU, so are liable for customs charges.
    I was contacted by customs a long time ago back when they were called cdwow, and they wanted to charge me something like 20+ euro, i sent them the cost of the item and never heard back, I assume they were too busy buying their own stuff.

Yes they use a tax loophole, how do you think they're so cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So I vote we rename this thread THE WE HATE HD/CD/WOW WHATEVER CLUB.

All those opposed Argos have a Red 3DS XL with preinstalled new Super Mario Bros 2 and a boxed Pokemon Black and Prof Layton Miracle Mask for €219.99 with a free €10 voucher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We've already got a "We hate a company no one forces us to shop in" thread, why not just rename that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Edit: Oops. Wrong thread.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We've already got a "We hate a company no one forces us to shop in" thread, why not just rename that?

We already got one of those :pac:, anyone ever buy from a uk site called 365games.co.uk, they have an irish site too I believe, the uk site has both the new 3ds and new 3dsxl aussie versions up to preorder with a release date of november 28th. Looks interesting at the prices advertised.

http://www.365games.co.uk/search/new+3ds/sort-relevance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

We already got one of those :pac:, anyone ever buy from a uk site called 365games.co.uk, they have an irish site too I believe, the uk site has both the new 3ds and new 3dsxl aussie versions up to preorder with a release date of november 28th. Looks interesting at the prices advertised.

http://www.365games.co.uk/search/new+3ds/sort-relevance

hukd usually have a few deals form them everytime they do a voucher
    The catch is I believe they take the money at time of order, rather than dispatch for pre-orders.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    hukd usually have a few deals form them everytime they do a voucher
    The catch is I believe they take the money at time of order, rather than dispatch for pre-orders.

Damn I have enough to cover one but am afraid to seeing as the launch day is Brack friday, might hang on and see if they do a deal on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got Hyrule Warriors for 43 in Argos. Not bad for bricks and mortar.
    Still 55 in Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

i'm hoping to get a brand new wii u 32gb premium with mario kart bundle in the next couple of weeks. I've been holding out for the last week of november (black friday / cyber monday) to see if i can get a good deal. I'm pretty sure i saw an online deal for €270 a couple of weeks ago but i forget where it was. Anyway i was hoping to get it for €240 or less on that week, what do you reckon my chances are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

OK, I'm pulling the trigger, similar question to Trilla90 above, standard price seems to be around €300 these days for the premium model.

I'm guessing it will come down. In France, in Bricks and Mortar stores it can easily be found for €199 ongoing.
    There seems to have been a lull online in recent weeks in anything Wii U related regarding offers or sales. I'm guessing there will be a significant price drop on maybe a select amount or for a limited time, but I'm guessing it will be found for less than €250 in the sales.

Smash Bros. Gamecube Pro Controllers (WHITE or BLACK) are available for pre-order (06/12/2014) on Nippon-Yasan for €13.16 each.

[ONLY usable with Smash Bros. at the moment.]

They ran out of pre-order stock as I was typing this, but more are expected in before the release date.

The Mario/Luigi/Pokémon versions (Playable with other games) are available to pre-order for €21.93

Wii U Pro Controllers are €23.99

Full page of Accessories Available Here

You can use the shipping Calculator to work out shipping cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Aren't the Mario/luigi ones third party?
    Thought they were hori pads - the same guys who made the alternative N64 mini pads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Allyall wrote: »
    Smash Bros. Gamecube Pro Controllers (WHITE or BLACK) are available for pre-order (06/12/2014) on Nippon-Yasan for €13.16 each.

[ONLY usable with Smash Bros. at the moment.]

They ran out of pre-order stock as I was typing this, but more are expected in before the release date.

The Mario/Luigi/Pokémon versions (Playable with other games) are available to pre-order for €21.93

Wii U Pro Controllers are €23.99

Full page of Accessories Available Here

You can use the shipping Calculator to work out shipping cost.

Great find, thanks for that. I went for the cheapest delivery but hopefully the controllers arrive in the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Aren't the Mario/luigi ones third party?
    Thought they were hori pads - the same guys who made the alternative N64 mini pads.

Yes they are third party. They are really just Wii Classic Controllers in a different shell, they have to be hooked up to a Wiimote.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How reputable are they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How reputable are they ?

I've got loads from them and never had an issue. Not too bad on delivery time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How reputable are they ?

I've found them to be very good. Very quick delivery as well. This is over €21 including delivery.

The double pack including New Super Luigi U can be got for €32 secondhand in CEX. I'd rather that and it's better value.

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=045496332174

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

looking forward to smash next week :D anyone know where i would get a super mario 3d world cheap?

looking forward to smash next week :D anyone know where i would get a super mario 3d world cheap?

Cex sell it for €38. It's not a spectacular price but it's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

New Super Mario Bros U for £14 from Amazon.co.uk
    It's usually around that price in the uk, but not often online, and not from places that offer free delivery or that you have tokens to spend for :)

IF you need to make up the rest of the £25, there's 5 Rory Gallagher albums for under a £tenner (deuce to fresh evidence I think. Was €14 in HMV a few months ago...) , or Count Duckula on DVD for a tenner. Ninja Gaidan is still hovering around the £13 mark. How about a James Martin spice grinder for under £20?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just got an email from Smyths,
    WiiU 8gb model is only 219.99 with NSMB U.
    That's pretty damn awesome

Nintendo sale (apparently) happening on Amazon ES in the next week or so.
    I read it in broken translated English using bing, on another PC. I had to leave in a hurry because of the rain, so no link, but keep an eye out around the black friday sales time.

I thought I should post it, as I will forget otherwise. I'm going to look for that link.

• Advertisement

Player1 in Maynooth are doing a deal for Wii U Basic + NSMBWU + Smash Bros for €255. I've put money down on it last weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement