Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad Retina - Buying from the States questions

• 01-03-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Didn't find much on the forum about this, I have a few questions I hope someone can answer: (It's all related to buying from the US)

1) Is Amazon.com the best place to buy? It's tax free isn't it?
    I noticed when I tried to buy on apple.com that the US delivery address added tax onto the state I was getting it delivered to.

2) Are all iPad retina's network unlocked? Will I be able to us it here in Ireland once I get it? I think they are afaik

3) When selecting a cellular network which one is best when I'm going to be using it over here. I think the preferred choice is Verzion but not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

1. Dunno about amazon, but apple.com only deliver to us addresses. Tax free? Possibly where/when you buy it, but if its shipped to Ireland customs will be sure to slap some tax on it for you when it arrives here.
    Basically unless you're going abroad yourself and bringing one back its gonna be hard to find one abroad, get it shipped here and save money...

2/3 don't know about US networks but in case of iPhone some don't work here ,also US 4G is different to 4G here and lastly if a network is mentioned I assume you're supposed to sign up to a contract with them to get the iPad at the advertised price.

Many topics around, basically ordering a new apple product abroad generally will not save you any money. If you go aboard and buy there it will be cheaper but you're supposed to declare it when you enter Ireland and pay vat which again will make it more expensive than buying it here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Didn't find much on the forum about this, I have a few questions I hope someone can answer: (It's all related to buying from the US)

1) Is Amazon.com the best place to buy? It's tax free isn't it?
    I noticed when I tried to buy on apple.com that the US delivery address added tax onto the state I was getting it delivered to.

2) Are all iPad retina's network unlocked? Will I be able to us it here in Ireland once I get it? I think they are afaik

3) When selecting a cellular network which one is best when I'm going to be using it over here. I think the preferred choice is Verzion but not sure.

iPad is iPad and one bought stateside will work here. The only locked iPads are the ones sold in Japan or ones that you might (foolishly IMO) buy via a network in the UK much as you might sign up to a mobile phone contract. If you buy an iPad outright in the States, it's exactly as though you bought it here, except for the different charger (not a problem). Warranty is global.

As for a cellular model, you must not buy the Verizon flavour, if you wish to use it with a network here -instead choose the GSM model that works with AT&T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

culabula wrote: »
    iPad is iPad and one bought stateside will work here. The only locked iPads are the ones sold in Japan or ones that you might (foolishly IMO) buy via a network in the UK much as you might sign up to a mobile phone contract. If you buy an iPad outright in the States, it's exactly as though you bought it here, except for the different charger (not a problem). Warranty is global.

As for a cellular model, you must not buy the Verizon flavour, if you wish to use it with a network here -instead choose the GSM model that works with AT&T.

Warranty is not global, you have to return the item to the region you bought it in. So if you buy it in the states and need it repaired you have to bring it back there. Apple will not accept it in Ireland - found this out the hard way on Friday and now I'm stuck with an iPad they won't accept, even though it's 3 months old. Their only options to me were to send it to a friend in the states (don't know anybody there, so not an option), or fly there myself and return it. They will not accept the return here or even let me post it to them directly in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Warranty is not global, you have to return the item to the region you bought it in. So if you buy it in the states and need it repaired you have to bring it back there. Apple will not accept it in Ireland - found this out the hard way on Friday and now I'm stuck with an iPad they won't accept, even though it's 3 months old. Their only options to me were to send it to a friend in the states (don't know anybody there, so not an option), or fly there myself and return it. They will not accept the return here or even let me post it to them directly in the states.

What happened to it?

Warranty IS global -have no idea why you were told that. That is nonsense on the part of whoever said that.

Walk into the Apple Store in Belfast and it will be swapped out on the spot if defective.

• Advertisement

Warranty IS global -have no idea why you were told that. That is nonsense on the part of whoever said that.

Walk into the Apple Store in Belfast and it will be swapped out on the spot if defective.

Nope they won't, tried that - it's because the 4G chips are different in the states. They can't replace it here with the same model cause they don't have them here. I think it's crazy to be honest and from now on I won't buy any more Apple products because of this policy. If you read the terms and conditions of your warranty it does say it has to be returned to the same region it was bought in.

As for what happened it, the volume buttons have stopped working, the are really loose and won't register when i press them.

Nope they won't, tried that - it's because the 4G chips are different in the states. They can't replace it here with the same model cause they don't have them here. I think it's crazy to be honest and from now on I won't buy any more Apple products because of this policy. If you read the terms and conditions of your warranty it does say it has to be returned to the same region it was bought in.

As for what happened it, the volume buttons have stopped working, the are really loose and won't register when i press them.

Yes, they replace like with like but this does not negate global warranty. Unfortunately, they don't have like for like. However a faulty iPhone bought in Ireland will be replaced in the states for example, if under warranty.

Yes, they replace like with like but this does not negate global warranty. Unfortunately, they don't have like for like. However a faulty iPhone bought in Ireland will be replaced in the states for example, if under warranty.

In essence it doesn't negate global warranty, but in reality it does! I am covered by the warranty but only if i bring the phone to the states, which obviously I can't. So stuck with a broken device. Terrible service on Apple's behalf and they have lost me as a customer because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

If you read the terms and conditions of your warranty it does say it has to be returned to the same region it was bought in.

Dont see that in this warranty - http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/NA_iPad_Warranty_v20.pdf

I feel these words are telling:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.
    Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

Clearly you have fallen victim to this because of the 4G chip therein. But I would be very surprised if Apple in Belfast refused to repair your volume controls for you.

If I can help, you are welcome to post it up to me and I will bring it round to them and post it back to you. I know them very well and they're very helpful.

• Advertisement

I feel these words are telling:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.
    Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

Clearly you have fallen victim to this because of the 4G chip therein. But I would be very surprised if Apple in Belfast refused to repair your volume controls for you.

If I can help, you are welcome to post it up to me and I will bring it round to them and post it back to you. I know them very well and they're very helpful.

Yeah from memory that is the line the guy quoted me on the phone, the guys in the shop just entered the serial number and said staright out it is only eligible for repair in the U.S.

Thanks for the offer, I'm trying to get a friend of a friend to bring it to the states in a few weeks, but he doesn't know if he'll have time to go to an Apple store. I might PM you if i need some help with the Belfast lads!!

Yeah from memory that is the line the guy quoted me on the phone, the guys in the shop just entered the serial number and said staright out it is only eligible for repair in the U.S.

Thanks for the offer, I'm trying to get a friend of a friend to bring it to the states in a few weeks, but he doesn't know if he'll have time to go to an Apple store. I might PM you if i need some help with the Belfast lads!!

Well, in those few weeks, we could get it done for you. Tell you what, ill go round and ask them.

I'm in the Apple Store, where they are sympathetic. Can you give me your serial number and they will do a "quick look" on what they can do? PM if you prefer. Otherwise, they suggest you phone them.

Advertisement