Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far are you into the Maths course?

• 01-03-2013 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

I believe the following are all the chapters on our course. Are any gone or are any missing?

- Algebra x
    - Trigonometry x
    - Line, Circle x
    - Differentiation x
    - integration x
    - Complex Numbers x
    - Binomial theorem
    - Financial Maths
    - Sequences & Series
    - Proof by Induction
    - Probability
    - Statistics

We've only done the ones with an x marked so I'd imagine we're behind? Teacher spends 80% of every class going over homework. :mad:
    Does anyone know how many theorems we have to know, and which ones they are?

How far are ye on?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Or you in 5th or 6th year? Higher or Ordinary?

Your basically fecked if your doing higher and thats all ye done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

6th, Higher.

Bollix. Thought as much. Grinds here I come :rolleyes: State of the education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

We're currently doing proof by induction and only have enlargements left after that which is only a tiny part of geometry. Stats and prob are going to take ye a good while to cover tbh, thats not great that ye have so much left to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Have ye really that much left to do. :eek:

- Algebra x
    - Trigonometry x
    - Line, Circle x
    - Differentiation x
    - integration x
    - Complex Numbers x
    - Binomial theorem x
    - Matrices
    - Sequences & Series x
    - Proof by Induction
    - Probability x
    - Statistics x

We've that much done and our teacher still thinks it will be a struggle to cover/fine tune everything by June.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Matrices aren't on the new course. At least thats one less to worry about :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

- Algebra x
    - Trigonometry x
    - Line, Circle x
    - Differentiation
    - integration
    - Complex Numbers
    - Binomial theorem x
    - Sequences & Series
    - Proof by Induction
    - Probability x
    - Statistics

I'm in 5th year and we've done all this... looks like you have 1) a terrible teacher and 2) a lot of work to do, unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

We are finished and now revising. 6th yr, higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

We only have geometry left to do. Paper one completely finished! And we've been revising as well, if we hadn't done so much revision we'd have been well finished by now! I'd say start learning stuff yourself just so you're not too far behind come May.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gemmalions

5th year, apparently we can answer all of paper one..... So halfway there? I'm being hopeful here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I think she's a good teacher but is too by the book. She has an obsession with checking homework which infuriates me. If you're in higher level maths you can do the homework or GTFO, you should want to be there. There are slower people in our class too that hold us back. Balls. I'll have to get grinds now. Sad state of affairs when capable students like myself and a few others have to get grinds just to complete the course, never mind revising! Gonna confront her on monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Sorry for the double post but to answer your question there are only 3 theorems to be learned...I think they're numbers 11, 12 and 13 or maybe 12, 13 and 14. If you have active maths they're in there anyway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

What about financial maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Algebra DONE
    - Trigonometry DONE
    - Line, Circle DONE
    - Differentiation DONE
    - integration DONE
    - Complex Numbers
    - Binomial theorem
    - Matrices
    - Sequences & Series DONe
    - Proof by Induction
    - Probability STARTED
    - Statistics

**** we're behind aswell I think. And we done everything from the old books so I presume we have to go over the new project style questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

probability and statistics are such long chapers and make up most of paper two, i can't believe ye don't have them done yet! confront your teacher thats so unfair! maybe your principal could oraganise for your teacher to give extra classes after school, a lot of schools are doing that now because the maths course is so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ellenkc

We've got a bit of Functions and some Integration left to do. There's probably bits and pieces in other topics we need to do, but we should be done a week or two after Easter. I'm in a Pilot school though, so we've a lot less to do in all the strand 5 stuff. You'll be hard pushed to get that done, will she take ye for extra classes after school or during Easter at all?

We worked on exam papers for the final 4 months of sixth year. Brought everyone up by multiple grades. Was always floating around D1 or C3 in honors maths and the work we did on the exam papers brought me up to a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Maths is a bit of a lost cause to me, I can do less and less in every chapter. :(

We've done everything for paper 2 so that's:
    Probability
    Statistics
    Geometry
    Trigonometry
    Enlargements
    Line
    Circle
    Constructions
    Theorems

For paper 1 we've covered:
    Algebra
    Arithmetic
    Financial Maths
    Indices and Logs
    Sequences and Series
    Complex Numbers

Still left to do:
    Differentiation
    Integration
    Proof by Induction
    Length area volume
    the really small chapter on Real Numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

- Algebra x
    - Trigonometry x
    - Line, Circle x
    - Differentiation x
    - integration x
    - Complex Numbers x
    - Binomial theorem x
    - Financial Maths x
    - Sequences & Series x
    - Proof by Induction x
    - Probability x
    - Statistics - Not far from finished

I love my math teacher :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

To be fair to your teachers the project maths course is long/tedious and should not be finished at this stage of the year if taught using the correct/advised problem solving methods unless you have been doing extra classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Methememb wrote: »
    I believe the following are all the chapters on our course. Are any gone or are any missing?

- Algebra x
    - Trigonometry x
    - Line, Circle x
    - Differentiation x
    - integration x
    - Complex Numbers x
    - Binomial theorem
    - Financial Maths
    - Sequences & Series
    - Proof by Induction
    - Probability
    - Statistics

We've only done the ones with an x marked so I'd imagine we're behind? Teacher spends 80% of every class going over homework. :mad:
    Does anyone know how many theorems we have to know, and which ones they are?

How far are ye on?
    Both Statistics and Probability are big chapters on their own! We almost spent 3 and a half to 4 months doing them altogether collectively!

We just have the Binomial Theorem, Financial Maths and Sequences and series to finish, and a few pieces here and there but the majority of our course is in the rear view mirror at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

dam man my teacher never checks the homework and i dont blame him!! we are mature enough for god sake to know what is good or what is bad for us and by not doing homework your harming no one but ur self! talk to that teacher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

We have complex numbers and one other topic to do and then we are finished the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Methememb wrote: »
    6th, Higher.

Bollix. Thought as much. Grinds here I come :rolleyes: State of the education system.
    We are finished bar for the proof of De Moivre's theorum by Induction and a few odds and ends.
    Glee_GG wrote: »
    We're currently doing proof by induction and only have enlargements left after that which is only a tiny part of geometry. Stats and prob are going to take ye a good while to cover tbh, thats not great that ye have so much left to cover.
    Stats and Prob take a sizeable amount of time. Surprised a school didn't cover them before the mocks seeing as the topic is central to the new paper 2.

If you don't do the homework for maths you may as well go back to pass. Teacher should realise the students are mature enough and advise them if needed to go back to pass after class tests or advise the parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

- Algebra x
    - Trigonometry
    - Line, Circle x
    - Differentiation x
    - integration x
    - Complex Numbers x
    - Binomial theorem x
    - Financial Maths x
    - Sequences & Series x
    - Proof by Induction x
    - Probability x
    - Statistics x

didn't realize how much we have done until reading this! We didn't start the course until November last year because of the mix up with the book printing and were worried we wouldn't get it done!
    To make up for time we do an extra hour after school on Wednesdays and use two study classes a week as extra maths.

Went into the mocks without geometry, trig and enlargements done. Got my results today and got 41%, absolutely delighted as I was convinced I failed!

It might be a good idea to suggest extra classes to your teacher though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Done almost all of paper one, just finishing off differentiation and then it's just integration to go with that.

With paper two we've covered trig, and most if not all of geometry, but we haven't touched probability or statistics. I'm worried now, have we time to properly cover integration, statistics and probability and brush up the rest of our topics by June? If not I might start skipping ahead and getting a bit of a head start on those chapters myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

- Algebra x
    - Trigonometry x
    - Line, Circle x
    - Differentiation x
    - integration
    - Complex Numbers x
    - Binomial theorem
    - Financial Maths
    - Sequences & Series
    - Proof by Induction
    - Probability
    - Statistics

Our teacher is very unreliable.
    Thankfully, I'm getting grinds.
    Really damn annoying, because I'm pretty good at maths, we just have so little covered

well this thread is very motivating. goodbye A1.

Anyone go to Leeson St for maths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

yournerd wrote: »
    Anyone go to Leeson St for maths?
    Don't know what area you're from but Limerick Tutorial College do fantastic Saturday classes!

Advertisement