Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far are you into the Maths course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

No Im south east. The fact that some of you are finished is quite worrying..

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

How many people out of the amount of people in your school are doing honors maths. It was 15 out 110 when I was doing it. There was people well capable of doing it but said it took up too much time

Theres like over 20!

there was 4 last year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

There's 80ish in my year, 11 in my maths class! 3 of those failed mocks and possibly dropping! There's also a foundation class with 6 or 7 :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

But the bonus points are definitely a factor. In 07 my sister was the only person in HL in her year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

All we have left is integration and complex numbers I think. I'm sure there's a few bits we have to go back over but it's not too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

Anyone who is suggesting that teachers shouldn't be correcting the homework are off their game. My maths teacher never leaves a maths sum uncorrected. She kills us if we don't remind her to correct something that she may have forgotten about (which happens very rarely, I'll admit).

Here are some statistics about my school (I won't bother mentioning the name, but if you really want to know, PM me):

— Best Maths student in Ireland something like six out of the past fifteen years. As far as I know, 2012 and 2011 both came from my school. Definitely 2011 anyway. All taught by my maths teacher, who "corrects the homework". In fact, most of what we do is correct homework.

— Featured in national newspapers about how we buck every trend about maths (I can link you to these which back up most of these statistics if you PM me)

— Munster Team Math Final 2013: both top teams were from my school
    — Past ten years, excluding one year, my school has reached the final stages and won three times

— Junior Maths Competition 2012: 5 out of the top thirty came from my school, and two of those were placed first and third. No other school was featured more than once in the top thirty. (I could be slightly off, but two of the top three were definitely from my school, and there were at least two others in the top thirty.)

— Almost half the year sit higher level maths -- which is three times the national average (it's higher this year, but I don't know how many will drop down between now and then)

— Of those who sit higher level maths, more than 60% get an A. A third of those get an A1. The other ~40% get a B1 (except last year, one person got a C1 and another got a D3, but they just didn't work).

— My teacher has the nickname "the best maths teacher in Ireland" — it's not an official title, but she's well known enough in Cork that if you say that a lot of people have heard of her. We definitely have the highest maths results, and win all the maths competitions, so I think the title is justified.

Anyway, that's just my long-winded and admittedly highly annoying explanation as to why doing homework in class isn't a waste of time if the teacher does a good job of it.

Also, we do some Maths in fourth year, so we've been completely finished the course for four weeks. We also have two hours of extra classes during the week — all given free of charge.

Sometimes I love my school.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

VincentLeB wrote: »
    Anyone who is suggesting that teachers shouldn't be correcting the homework are off their game. My maths teacher never leaves a maths sum uncorrected. She kills us if we don't remind her to correct something that she may have forgotten about (which happens very rarely, I'll admit).

Here are some statistics about my school (I won't bother mentioning the name, but if you really want to know, PM me):

— Best Maths student in Ireland something like six out of the past fifteen years. As far as I know, 2012 and 2011 both came from my school. Definitely 2011 anyway. All taught by my maths teacher, who "corrects the homework". In fact, most of what we do is correct homework.

— Featured in national newspapers about how we buck every trend about maths (I can link you to these which back up most of these statistics if you PM me)

— Past ten years, excluding one year, my school has reached the final stages and won three times

— Junior Maths Competition 2012: 5 out of the top thirty came from my school, and two of those were placed first and third. No other school was featured more than once in the top thirty. (I could be slightly off, but two of the top three were definitely from my school, and there were at least two others in the top thirty.)

— Almost half the year sit higher level maths -- which is three times the national average (it's higher this year, but I don't know how many will drop down between now and then)

— Of those who sit higher level maths, more than 60% get an A. A third of those get an A1. The other ~40% get a B1 (except last year, one person got a C1 and another got a D3, but they just didn't work).

— My teacher has the nickname "the best maths teacher in Ireland" — it's not an official title, but she's well known enough in Cork that if you say that a lot of people have heard of her. We definitely have the highest maths results, and win all the maths competitions, so I think the title is justified.

Anyway, that's just my long-winded and admittedly highly annoying explanation as to why doing homework in class isn't a waste of time if the teacher does a good job of it.

Also, we do some Maths in fourth year, so we've been completely finished the course for four weeks. We also have two hours of extra classes during the week — all given free of charge.

Is it a public cool? Any good maths teacher corrects homework and gives extra classes but yours seems like its A1, Premiership, Grand slam teacher :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

My teacher has the nickname "the best maths teacher in Ireland"

That's a very unimaginative nickname.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Methememb wrote: »
    I think she's a good teacher but is too by the book. She has an obsession with checking homework which infuriates me. If you're in higher level maths you can do the homework or GTFO, you should want to be there. There are slower people in our class too that hold us back. Balls. I'll have to get grinds now. Sad state of affairs when capable students like myself and a few others have to get grinds just to complete the course, never mind revising! Gonna confront her on monday.
    I'd be careful confronting her. If you are to do it, at least in a non aggressive, concerned way, i.e., you noticed that there were still quite a few topics still to cover and were worried that you might be behind. You still have to spend the next 3 months in her class, and it'll be her who would be looking over your paper with you if you need a recheck. You're going to want her on you side, so don't do anything too brusque that may cause a falling out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

half way through book 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Our teacher is going to do some extra classes with us. Our first one was this week. We spent 60 minutes doing questions (which should be done at home) and 10 minutes teaching new material. Ridiculous.

You can't just skip over the homework, it has to be done out to show people HOW to do it, there's always going to be someone who couldn't get it out or did it incorrectly but hasn't even realised, it's project maths.

Maybe just say it to him/her that you're concerned that you're not going to get through the course in time, and could they spend a little less time on homework. Skipping homework altogether would be the wrong decision in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

My teacher could spend the whole class sometimes correcting one sum because she would keep explaining and going over it until everyone understands and she never ever skips a question in the book and we're practically nearly done the course. Don't understand how people think the homework shouldn't be corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I suspect that you are all comparing different situation. How many periods a week do those who have finished the course have? How many of you have attended classes put on for free by your teacher?
    We have 6 periods a week of maths, I know another VEC school down the road who has 8. Over the course of two years that is a lot of extra time. Our classes tend to be 35 minute, some schools would be 40.

There is a huge discrepancy between the time allocated in schools. Some have the minimum recommended by the department, others recognise that these are ridiculously low and have provision for that in the timetable. Other teachers have the time to give extra voluntary unpaid classes to students, some may not

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

is the binomial theoram not gone off the course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    is the binomial theoram not gone off the course?

Apparently there was *another* syllabus *clarification*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Apparently there was *another* syllabus *clarification*

Link? :)

Link? :)

Actually scratch what I just said, I'm all wrong I was thinking of something else, I think she mentioned recently that it was off the course!

• Advertisement

Is it that Christian brothers school in cork that loads come out with 900 like is it private?

yournerd wrote: »
    Is it that Christian brothers school in cork that loads come out with 900 like is it private?

Yeah Christians Brothers in Cork (I don't go to it but would know a fiar few people who do) is private, but I wouldn't pay much attention to how far they're in their course because TY is compulsory and they're a private school they do the LC course over 3 years so basically since a little before Christmas they've only been tying up loose ends, they have everything finished.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    All we have left is integration and complex numbers I think. I'm sure there's a few bits we have to go back over but it's not too much.

Did you do a computer course in DIT during TY?

Methememb wrote: »
    Did you do a computer course in DIT during TY?

Yep, not last summer but the year before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I suspect that you are all comparing different situation. How many periods a week do those who have finished the course have? How many of you have attended classes put on for free by your teacher?
    We have 6 periods a week of maths, I know another VEC school down the road who has 8. Over the course of two years that is a lot of extra time. Our classes tend to be 35 minute, some schools would be 40.

There is a huge discrepancy between the time allocated in schools. Some have the minimum recommended by the department, others recognise that these are ridiculously low and have provision for that in the timetable. Other teachers have the time to give extra voluntary unpaid classes to students, some may not
    I'm in a class who have more or less finished the course. We didn't start the choose till 5th year, and have five forty minute periods, and one 35 minute period a week(shorter class times 1 day a week). My teacher has also run an extra class after school for 40 minutes a week on the weeks she is available since the start of 6th year, but covers no new material in the extra class since attendance is optional and it wouldn't be far on those who can't attend. That said, we are the top honours class in a steamed school so work at a relatively fast pace. The lower higher level classes still have a few topics to do on the course.

Regarding homework correction, she will ask each class if there was any we had trouble with, and do out the solution on the board. She will also hand out photocopied hand written solutions to the previous night's homework each day which we are expected to look over ourselves at home, and ask her if we have any problems with them the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Best Maths student in Ireland something like six out of the past fifteen years. As far as I know, 2012 and 2011 both came from my school. Definitely 2011 anyway. All taught by my maths teacher, who "corrects the homework". In fact, most of what we do is correct homework.

'fraid you can't say that now, our school claims the title for that year, that's if you're judging the best Maths student by the Leaving Cert grade. The lad in our school had to go to a fancy event in Dublin to be presented with the prize, and trust me, our school has gone great lengths in emphasising the fact :pac:

As for our progress in the course, we are just starting Statistics & Probability which is the last section we have to do besides tidying up bits and bobs in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

kingcobra wrote: »
    'fraid you can't say that now, our school claims the title for that year, that's if you're judging the best Maths student by the Leaving Cert grade.

Ah crap, well as I said, we definitely got it in 2011. I knew that four people from my school (!!!!) got 100% in maths last year, and when it's in relation to 100%, they pick the student who did it the simplest way — so the guy in your school obviously won out! I was confused because I saw it mentioned that we got first place in maths, but that was just for Cork, not the whole country like in other years. But then again, we had the best in physics in Cork too, and the best in economics in Ireland. (And I'm certain of these.) So it's not just maths.

theidiots wrote: »
    Is it a public cool? Any good maths teacher corrects homework and gives extra classes but yours seems like its A1, Premiership, Grand slam teacher :)
    yournerd wrote: »
    Yeah Christians Brothers in Cork (I don't go to it but would know a fiar few people who do) is private, but I wouldn't pay much attention to how far they're in their course because TY is compulsory and they're a private school they do the LC course over 3 years so basically since a little before Christmas they've only been tying up loose ends, they have everything finished.

I knew anyone with any sense would manage to figure out my school! To clarify, CBC is not private. Scoil Mhuire and Bruce and Hewitt are private, in that teachers are not paid by the government. Since teachers are in CBC, the correct term is fee-paying — it is government supported.

Yeah, TY is mandatory, and we covered a lot in fourth year. In fourth year we have four periods a week, in fifth year we have five and this year we have six. We also then have two extra classes free of charge, and one of the other higher level classes has like three hours of extra classes. It's madness really, but it pays off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I had always thought schools weren't allowed to cover Leaving Cert material in TY.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Yep, not last summer but the year before.

Good times :')

• Advertisement

I had always thought schools weren't allowed to cover Leaving Cert material in TY.

You're not.

Advertisement