Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far are you into the Maths course?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I had always thought schools weren't allowed to cover Leaving Cert material in TY.
    Priavte or "fee-paying" schools if you prefer are allowed to choose what they want. Normal schools are ony allowed cover I think it's something like 10% of the leaving Cert course in TY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

That is such bullshît

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Methememb wrote: »

You're not.

Incorrect, you are allowed to cover a percentage of the course with students in TY. I use TY to implement Project Maths problem solving approaches that in a truly academic year I couldn't spend as much time on. My TY students have five classes a week and by the end of the year will only have Probability and Statistics covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I had always thought schools weren't allowed to cover Leaving Cert material in TY.
    We did a lot of our leaving cert course in 4th year. We got a lot of paper 2 covered having 5 40 minute classes a week and off topic on to other subjects we had macbeth etc covered by the end of 4th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

You are allowed do up to 10% of the course by the SEC, but it sounds like some schools cover a good deal more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Sounds like a lot of people began covering the course and other subjects in TY.
    So am I the only school that had no classes? Well there was a timetable but we neglected it as we were up to our eyeballs constantly with various projects.
    If I remember correctly the only thing we covered in TY was reading An Triail, no notes or anything like we just read it. Hmm.

peekachoo wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of people began covering the course and other subjects in TY.
    So am I the only school that had no classes? Well there was a timetable but we neglected it as we were up to our eyeballs constantly with various projects.
    If I remember correctly the only thing we covered in TY was reading An Triail, no notes or anything like we just read it. Hmm.
    Did close to nothing here as well. Our maths classes were "common level", meaning a bit of work on pass probability was done, but as the year progressed, any work was quickly neglected in favour of watching Jeremy Kyle on the in-class TV, and playing bullsh*t the few times we were in class. Irish was even worse, don't remember a single Spanish class, and in English, we just read My Sister's Keeper, which isn't being counted as any of our texts for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I skipped TY. okay goodbye A2 now haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

The only thing I remember doing in TY that was part of the syllabus was stem and leaf plots.......none of our other subjects covered anything on any course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The only thing I remember doing in TY that was part of the syllabus was stem and leaf plots.......none of our other subjects covered anything on any course.

Yeah we did exactly just that as well. It would've been a waste to do anything else, as in my school only half of the year do TY, so anything that's taught in TY would have to be done again for the lads coming in from the JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

What the SEC don't know, won't hurt them.;)

Chavways wrote: »
    What the SEC don't know, won't hurt them.;)
    It'll hurt the rest of the country though, who are being compared to students with an extra year of study put into the curriculum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

VincentLeB wrote: »
    I knew anyone with any sense would manage to figure out my school! To clarify, CBC is not private. Scoil Mhuire and Bruce and Hewitt are private, in that teachers are not paid by the government. Since teachers are in CBC, the correct term is fee-paying — it is government supported.

Scoil Mhuire does receive government funding and is definitely not in the same category as Bruce and Hewitt! It wouldn't survive on the fees alone

Why should the government support any fee paying school?

Totally in agreement, I don't see why the state should pay for other students to have an advantage against the rest! There are plenty more needy students that could make better use of the €100m that current goes to private school.

Spent a double Maths class today (1hr 20 mins) correcting homework. Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Because the mammies and daddies who send their children to private school pay their taxes, which should go towards the services they avail of. If they want to ameliorate their child's education with their disposable income, why should the government penalise them?

Disclosure: I attend a DEIS school.

The school are being paid by the students. They do not need or deserve the government funding.

The school are being paid by the students. They do not need or deserve the government funding.

Need? Probably not, that much I'll grant. But deserve? They're paying their taxes so that these services will be provided. Why shouldn't they benefit from it?

Because the mammies and daddies who send their children to private school pay their taxes, which should go towards the services they avail of. If they want to ameliorate their child's education with their disposable income, why should the government penalise them?

Disclosure: I attend a DEIS school.

They can avail of that service in the local school, if that's not good enough for them then they should have to pay for it themselves, the government shouldn't be sponsoring elitism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Has anyone else only started calculus recently, say, after Christmas? We absolutely fled through differentiation during 2 3-hour Saturday classes straight before the mocks, and it never really sank in for me. Now we've moved on to constructions/theorems, which is grand, I have more time to get comfortable with differentiation, but now our teacher's saying she's going to leave integration until after Easter! The idea of leaving calculus to the end of the year when it's such an important part of paper 1 scares me. :( Is there anyone else in the same boat as me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Our teacher says we will be finished the course for Friday week.

Lucky!

@Accia We are just finishing up integration now. I had a bit of trouble with differentiation so you should stick at it now while you're on an easy chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Lucky!

@Accia We are just finishing up integration now. I had a bit of trouble with differentiation so you should stick at it now while you're on an easy chapter.

Ah, I thought everyone had had it covered in 5th year, I don't feel as bad now, and thanks, I will of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Do you have to know the proofs at the end of the differentiation chapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

gubbie wrote: »
    Scoil Mhuire does receive government funding and is definitely not in the same category as Bruce and Hewitt! It wouldn't survive on the fees alone

Well the teachers are not paid by the government like in CBC.

They can avail of that service in the local school, if that's not good enough for them then they should have to pay for it themselves, the government shouldn't be sponsoring elitism.

Right, say someone is studying music in a regular, non-fee paying school. Now, suppose this person (or this person's parents) decides to take their disposable income, which has been appropriately taxed and is completely theirs, and pay for guitar lessons. The practical in music for the Leaving Cert makes up 50% of the grade for the subject. By your standard, the government is spurring elitism by allowing this person to add to their public education which they are entitled to by spending there money on education outside of that provided as standard by the state.

No, that's completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Do you have to know the proofs at the end of the differentiation chapter?
    The 1st principals yes, and the other stuff I dunno. My teacher has been emailing the department about it, she said she thinks we do but she is not 100% sure on the method of proof required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

my school is a joke.

Advertisement