Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running event on the Cliff Walk

• 01-03-2013 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Came across this http://www.gaelforceevents.com/trailblazer/.
    It's a 10k run along the Cliff Path from Greystones to Bray on a Saturday.

Now anytime I've been on the cliff path there has been loads of walkers using this public amenity.

Looks very ill thought out to me. And it's €25 to enter and they want volunteers to work on it.

Any comments before I get onto the Council on Monday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What? are you complaining and want people to add to your complaint?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Can you imaging trying to walk against hundreds of runners? The path is barely wide enough for one person in places. I think it will be downright dangerous.

I'm also curious to know who gives permission to a business to take over a public walk for profit.

Is it the exact cliff walk course or do they divert from it?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

trad wrote: »
    Can you imaging trying to walk against hundreds of runners? The path is barely wide enough for one person in places. I think it will be downright dangerous.

I'm also curious to know who gives permission to a business to take over a public walk for profit.

That walkway is too narrow for a group of runners.

Who gave this Private enterprise permission to take over a public amenity which is enjoyed by walkers every weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I'm curious as to why anyone would pay 25 euro to run the cliff walk when you can run it any day for free?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

depending on the time of day/season of year it can be quite annoying to run on due to having to warn two/three a breast walkers who are not aware of their surroundings/people coming behind them. It's a shame because the scenery is so beautiful & the gentle gradients provide enough of a challenge without being grueling. Can't blame the walkers because they still should get priority.

You'd have to guess for this run that they will not be allowing walkers on for a certain time period. That's probably what the volunteers are required for. It's a bit of an imposition but if they think it might bring some euro's to the area then it might be worth it once in a while.

The higher paths across the top can provide the same if not better scenery with wider less crowded paths to allow the runner to relax in the zone mentally & not be worried about. The only problem is the hard slog up the hill to get to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You'd have to guess for this run that they will not be allowing walkers on for a certain time period.
    Not necessarily. Around a year ago I walked the path from Greystones with kids and met runners involved in a beach run event at the last section. They had run the length of Bray beach and then on up to the old toll gate on the path before turning. Even that short section was chaotic because you had runners going in both directions, and trying to overtake walkers at the same time. Tempers were fraying. This event seems to be in one direction only so it might work out, provided they don't all start at the same time in one big bunch.

recedite wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Around a year ago I walked the path from Greystones with kids and met runners involved in a beach run event at the last section. They had run the length of Bray beach and then on up to the old toll gate on the path before turning. Even that short section was chaotic because you had runners going in both directions, and trying to overtake walkers at the same time. Tempers were fraying. This event seems to be in one direction only so it might work out, provided they don't all start at the same time in one big bunch.

yeah you could well be right. there's a few things to that. First of all as you say both directions is ridiculous, recipe for disaster. Second the previous beach section would be very important to at least string out the field a bit before they hit the narrow walk. Lastly if they intend to keep it open the least they could do is hang up some warning signs/posters to make walkers aware of what's going on.

I did a Summerfest 10k a couple of years ago & they had Gardai stationed around the place up as far as the Southern Cross to allow runners safe passage through traffic.

I'd imagine they are hoping to save the hastle & expense of getting the garda involved by having it off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Splendour wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why anyone would pay 25 euro to run the cliff walk when you can run it any day for free?!

It's called a race- for your entry fee you get to test yourself competitively against others in a formal, officially timed event, for your entry fee (this goes for any race, of which there are hundreds of organized event around the country every week) you usually get a commemorative t-shirt and 'goody bag', containing samples of sports products etc as well as a sense of well being!!

Your argument is bit like saying why would anybody sit in a cafe paying for a coffee when they have coffee at home in the press.

I think anybody complaining about this event which may inconvenience them for about an hour and a half out of the nearly 9000 hours there are in a year is a bit of a kill joy!!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

I think anybody complaining about this event which may inconvenience them for about an hour and a half out of the nearly 9000 hours there are in a year is a bit of a kill joy!!

well there's a difference between complaining & posing questions to make sure it's done correctly. Saturday afternoon is one of the busiest times for walkers and the walls are pretty low in places along there, it's not beyond the bounds of possibilities if runners were going in both directions & happen upon a group of walkers unawares at just the wrong spot that someone could end up going over one of the walls

we're just trying to ask the questions that we hope the organisers are asking themselves too.. they obviously didn't think it all the way through the last time going by recedite's post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

Hi Guys,
    Siobhan here from Gaelforce Events.
    Thank you for you comments.
    In regards to the safety we run the event in the evening at 6.50pm and have permission to close the path from 5.30pm until 8.30pm to make sure that the pathway is clear for the runners. The race starts at the far end of the Greystones beach so that by the time the runners reach the path they are spread out.

We ran the event last year and it was a great success. We hope that the event brings people into the area that may not have know that the path exists and perhaps return to it at a later date, bringing more people and maybe a few quid into the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

siobhanb79 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Siobhan here from Gaelforce Events.
    Thank you for you comments.
    In regards to the safety we run the event in the evening at 6.50pm and have permission to close the path from 5.30pm until 8.30pm to make sure that the pathway is clear for the runners. The race starts at the far end of the Greystones beach so that by the time the runners reach the path they are spread out.

We ran the event last year and it was a great success. We hope that the event brings people into the area that may not have know that the path exists and perhaps return to it at a later date, bringing more people and maybe a few quid into the area.

Interesting, because I rang the council today and I am informed that they have yet to approve the event.

I'll post their reply if I get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Interesting, because I rang the council today and I am informed that they have yet to approve the event.

I'll post their reply if I get one
    its called the cliff "walk"for a reason..can you not find somewhere else to have your run?and what do you mean introduce the "walk" to other runners?great another world class walking route ruined.and what do you mean closed??so if i go for a walk heading to greystones along the walk with the kids when your race is planned someone is going to physically stop me???i dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'm sorry, do you lot moan about the Dublin City Marathon and the Women's half marathon when they are on? They would cause more hassle and annoyance to people trying to get in and out of the City Centre!

And they have an entrance fee too, to run along a road that they can run along for free the next day :rolleyes:

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'm sorry, do you lot moan about the Dublin City Marathon and the Women's half marathon when they are on? They would cause more hassle and annoyance to people trying to get in and out of the City Centre!

And they have an entrance fee too, to run along a road that they can run along for free the next day :rolleyes:

I don't think its comparable really

Terry Pratchet

I don't think its comparable really

Why not? It's a case of 2 runnning events impeding on people. Yes, the marathons are far larger but that's about it!

I also find it comical that people are giving out about the fact that it may attract more people to the walk.

People are coming across as very selfish with regards to this event and the walk itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

This sounds like a great event and a perfect time for the flasher to strike.

Why not? It's a case of 2 runnning events impeding on people. Yes, the marathons are far larger but that's about it!

I also find it comical that people are giving out about the fact that it may attract more people to the walk.

People are coming across as very selfish with regards to this event and the walk itself.

Yeah they block off parts of the city - its not the same or comparable because you can walk around them.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's hard to imagine a more unsuitable course for a run both in terms of interfering with other people's walking rights and the potential danger. Why not up to the Cross and back via the 100 steps - more challenging and won't impinge on anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Maudi wrote: »
    its called the cliff "walk"for a reason..can you not find somewhere else to have your run?and what do you mean introduce the "walk" to other runners?great another world class walking route ruined.and what do you mean closed??so if i go for a walk heading to greystones along the walk with the kids when your race is planned someone is going to physically stop me???i dont think so.

I run on the cliff walk every weekend. Why should walkers have exclusive access to a public path? WHy should runners have to find somewhere else to run? Your rationale seems to be because its called the 'cliff walk'.

When im running walkers can be a bit inconvenient, but with a bit of politeness and respect both ways, its never a problem. Ive also seen mountain bikers on the path, again with common sense, not a problem.

I'll be running the race in April, and am looking forward to it. Its a beautiful local amenity, why anyone would have a problem using it in a creative way, every once in a while, is bemusing to me. The race appears to be taking place in the evening, there will not be many on the path at all.

Of course if you are determined to ruin your walk, turn up and walk alongside hundreds of runners, im sure nobody will physically stop you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

I run on the cliff walk every weekend. Why should walkers have exclusive access to a public path? WHy should runners have to find somewhere else to run? Your rationale seems to be because its called the 'cliff walk'.

When im running walkers can be a bit inconvenient, but with a bit of politeness and respect both ways, its never a problem. Ive also seen mountain bikers on the path, again with common sense, not a problem.

I'll be running the race in April, and am looking forward to it. Its a beautiful local amenity, why anyone would have a problem using it in a creative way, every once in a while, is bemusing to me. The race appears to be taking place in the evening, there will not be many on the path at all.

Of course if you are determined to ruin your walk, turn up and walk alongside hundreds of runners, im sure nobody will physically stop you:)

I think if you review your post with respect to the highlights you will begin to realise how daft this proposal is. Perhaps this concept is an April's Fools joke?
    If not I trust the Council will have common sense and reject any such application.

Cerco wrote: »
    I think if you review your post with respect to the highlights you will begin to realise how daft this proposal is. Perhaps this concept is an April's Fools joke?
    If not I trust the Council will have common sense and reject any such application.

Randomly highlighting tiny sections of my post without adding anything by way of cogent counter argument weakens your position tbh.

As the organisers have posted on this thread, the race will take place at 6pm on a saturday evening in early April. There will hardly be anybody inconvenienced by that, particularly if the weather is bad. As other posters have alluded, it is a a tiny portion of one weekend out of the whole year, hardly a big deal for walkers to make other arrangement once during the year?

Like i say, I run on the cliff walk whenever i like, and do most weekends, as the weather improves i'll run on it in the evenings. Several friends of mine from elsewhere have entered this race at my behest, as i thought it would be a nice way to show off the area. We will be booking a table at a restaurant in the locality and going for a few beers after. SHould the race not go ahead, we'd be forced to enter a different race and take our businness elsewhere.

Yeah they block off parts of the city - its not the same or comparable because you can walk around them.

There is nothing stopping you walk between greystones and bray on the paved road while the route is closed, should you so wish. The two events are entirely comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I think this is best! First up, it is called on the OS map the 'Bray-Greystones cliff walk', so I hope nobody has been going Greystones to Bray, because clearly that is not on at all. Sure the clue is in the name! While we are at it, I hope nobody has been running on Albert Walk, even if you are Albert!

Secondly, why is the Sugarloaf not sugar, come on Wicklow County Council what are you doing!

Wally Runs wrote: »

I think this is best! First up, it is called on the OS map the 'Bray-Greystones cliff walk', so I hope nobody has been going Greystones to Bray, because clearly that is not on at all. Sure the clue is in the name! While we are at it, I hope nobody has been running on Albert Walk, even if you are Albert!

Secondly, why is the Sugarloaf not sugar, come on Wicklow County Council what are you doing!
    ??by any chance did you fall on your head once or twice while running??

??by any chance did you fall on your head once or twice while running??

In fairness Wally was responding to the fact that as it is called the Cliff Walk it should be used for walking only

In fairness Wally was responding to the fact that as it is called the Cliff Walk it should be used for walking only
    i rather suspect wally is being jus a tad pedantic..lots of people use the cliff walk....men .women..kids..elderly people on their own or with dogs..(even the lesser spotted flasher has been seen on it) and yes groups use it well into the dusk hours..i walk it myself at night and it can be very busy..i just think its a little inconsiderate to have a cupla hundred joggers taking over when theres already established over land joggers trails have you considered kilruddery??im sure you've tried them..or heck theres 2000 sum square miles of the county to pick from.

Wally Runs wrote: »

we're having that sugar issue looked into we'l get back to you..it comes in under false advertising..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

It's called a race- for your entry fee you get to test yourself competitively against others in a formal, officially timed event, for your entry fee (this goes for any race, of which there are hundreds of organized event around the country every week) you usually get a commemorative t-shirt and 'goody bag', containing samples of sports products etc as well as a sense of well being!!

Your argument is bit like saying why would anybody sit in a cafe paying for a coffee when they have coffee at home in the press.

Eh, who said I was arguing?!! Won't bother me in the least-although from a safety viewpoint I think it is a tad bit of a strange place for a race.

• Advertisement

i rather suspect wally is being jus a tad pedantic..lots of people use the cliff walk....men .women..kids..elderly people on their own or with dogs..(even the lesser spotted flasher has been seen on it) and yes groups use it well into the dusk hours..i walk it myself at night and it can be very busy..i just think its a little inconsiderate to have a cupla hundred joggers taking over when theres already established over land joggers trails have you considered kilruddery??im sure you've tried them..or heck theres 2000 sum square miles of the county to pick from.

I rather suspect you are missing several points at once, pretty spectacularly, with that post.

Advertisement