Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running event on the Cliff Walk

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

I'm genuinely shocked that people are complaining about this? The cliff walk will be closed for 3 hours on one Saturday evening early April and it only happens once a year! This is hardly something to be giving out about? How could this bother anyone? It seems like a complete over-reaction from people. It's slightly amusing also as it's bordering on insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I get that you disagree with objectors but questioning their sanity is way OTT. In addition to that is in danger of personalising the argument.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

I get that you disagree with objectors but questioning their sanity is way OTT. In addition to that is in danger of personalising the argument.

...And Maudis comments about someone falling on their heads is ok? I didn't single anyone out to personally attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Maudi wrote: »
    its called the cliff "walk"for a reason..
    Maudi wrote: »
    i rather suspect wally is being jus a tad pedantic.

Eh? :rolleyes:

This is the saddest, most pathetic thread I've had the misfortune of reading in a long time. I am trying my utmost to attack the posts and not the posters so here I go;

The posts are incredibly SAD that they complain of closing a small section of land for 3 hours of the whole year. The point that the marathon and this run are not comparable is bewildering. They are identical apart from location and terrain.

As for the post that eminates the point that "ill walk that there land and nobody gonna stop me", what to even say about that. Next time a foreign diplomat arrives and a Garda bike closes off a road for a few minutes I expect to see you breeze on through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Nobody is seriously questioning anybody else's sanity. It's clearly hyperbole.

This thread is a train wreck. One side of the argument are being entirely reasonable and the other are spouting a drone-like, cyclical argument of the flimsiest construct imaginable.

This town is a nice place to live but there's obviously a bunch of serious numpties around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks as per the charter I am not responding on thread to comments about moderation.
    Any further comments send me a pm

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

trad wrote: »
    Came across this http://www.gaelforceevents.com/trailblazer/.
    It's a 10k run along the Cliff Path from Greystones to Bray on a Saturday.

Now anytime I've been on the cliff path there has been loads of walkers using this public amenity.

Looks very ill thought out to me. And it's €25 to enter and they want volunteers to work on it.

Any comments before I get onto the Council on Monday

The irony is that race went ahead last year without you noticing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

nerraw1111 wrote: »

The irony is that race went ahead last year without you noticing.

Game, set, match....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

recedite wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Around a year ago I walked the path from Greystones with kids and met runners involved in a beach run event at the last section. They had run the length of Bray beach and then on up to the old toll gate on the path before turning. Even that short section was chaotic because you had runners going in both directions, and trying to overtake walkers at the same time. Tempers were fraying. This event seems to be in one direction only so it might work out, provided they don't all start at the same time in one big bunch.

Sorry what you wrote has nothing to do with this event.I ran it last year as part of a team made up from one of the local hotels.The runners didn't run on the path on the way down but on the inside of the beach(In no ones way)
    Yes it does start in one big bunch,that usually is how a race happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Sorry what you wrote has nothing to do with this event...
    I didn't say it was the same event. I think its a valid comparison; a running race on the cliff path. It now transpires that the path will be closed to walkers for this particular event, which solves some of the problems and creates others.
    The cliff path ends before the beach. Nobody complained about runners on the beach.
    Sometimes races are run as a time-trial, not a bunch start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

LOL, if I was a bit younger I wouldn't mind having a go at running this.....but I'd be stopping every 30 seconds to admire the views!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKFr2M3BdRE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Nice video. BTW, if you remember the opening ceremony of the London Olympics, there was a guy in a top hat acting as master of ceremonies, as they kept building and rebuilding that mound thingy. He introduced himself as the great Victorian engineer, Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
    It was he who came over to Bray to build the cliff railway, with its spectacular tunnels. Not for the money, or because he needed the work, but just for the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Best of luck to everyone doing this tomorrow, enjoy the run

Advertisement