Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dj Looking For Work

Options
  • 01-03-2013 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I am a 16 year old female house DJ and i have been looking for work for months with no luck. I am living in Galway but i am in Dublin regularly and can travel quite far for gigs etc as i have in the past. I am good at mixing for my age and progress all the time. I am looking for work in night clubs, parties, special occasions etc.. (anything really!) If any one has any advice for me or knows any where or anyone that is looking for a DJ then please comment. Any advice at all about the DJ'ing subject would be good thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

S1234 wrote: »
    I am a 16 year old female house DJ and i have been looking for work for months with no luck. I am living in Galway but i am in Dublin regularly and can travel quite far for gigs etc as i have in the past. I am good at mixing for my age and progress all the time. I am looking for work in night clubs, parties, special occasions etc.. (anything really!) If any one has any advice for me or knows any where or anyone that is looking for a DJ then please comment. Any advice at all about the DJ'ing subject would be good thanks!

Welcome to the world of DJing! I've been doing this for 5 years and in that time I've barely played clubs.

Two distinct camps in my eyes.

1) The club circuit. Great money and a great experience but zero opportunities. In my opinion, the Dublin circuit is ruled by a few companies who use the same DJ's in different clubs on different nights. They generally don't hire and they like it that way. The 'money machine' style of club running. Nothing wrong with it mind you. Going by your age, I doubt you've seen this side very much (No offence!)

2) Mobile work. The usual 21st and stuff. Can be great fun and you can actually be quite selective about what you play i.e You can find gigs that you would actually like to do. Far more opportunities and the money can be reasonably good. In the bracket I would also put smaller clubs and pubs around the country who may want a different night every once in a while. If you are prepared to seriously advertise yourself you can easily enter this market. However you will need to invest in sound and lighting equipment.

If you really, really want to play clubs or festivals however your going to have to produce or at the very least be damn good behind the decks. And I mean frankly unbelievable. If you can produce the odd track or mash up then you'll find it far easier to get into the club circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 S1234

I agree with everything your saying but i know people my age playing nightclubs and i just don't know how they do it.. I am good at mixing for my age in my opinion so hopefully in a few years i will be playing in clubs! and when you talk about advertising what do you mean? as in where would i advertise?

I agree with everything your saying but i know people my age playing nightclubs and i just don't know how they do it.. I am good at mixing for my age in my opinion so hopefully in a few years i will be playing in clubs! and when you talk about advertising what do you mean? as in where would i advertise?

You mean 16? Well that would be illegal given a club would be a licensed premises. Maybe as an act there is a loophole but I highly doubt there is anyone that age playing regular slots. There is, to my knowledge, no one under the age of 19/20 playing clubs in Dublin. I'd put the average age far higher at maybe 24/25. I think you've been misinformed but I'm open to correction.

Certainly the major clubs wouldn't have someone that young playing unless they were phenomenal. The youngest DJ that I can think of would have been Alesso who couldn't play US clubs because he was under 21 until recently or Madeon from France, who was 16/17 when he appeared on BBC Radio 1.

As for how good your mixing is. I'd be careful there. Don't walk around with an inflated ego as its the worst thing in the world. Be humble and confident in your abilities. Its one thing for a few friends to think a mixes is great or a bedroom set is 'bang on' but its quite different to playing perhaps 4 hours in a club and absolutely nailing it.

I think your very young for the mobile circuit as you need dependable transport and some decent cash for the initial set up. A full mobile rig to do decent parties etc would be around €1 to 2k easy. Granted that depends on the exact set up.

As for playing clubs, you can just put your mixes on a CD and hand them out everywhere you go. Don't get your hopes up majorly but there is always a chance. Also download every single Essential Mix of every artist you like and listen to them. Even ones you've never heard of. Its the only way to learn. And from there build your set. Move away from 'one song to a next' and really try mashing the be-jesus out of things. Do the unexpected and get as many songs as you can (Within reason, don't ruin them!) in while keeping a decent set going.

By the way, what are you currently mixing on? Decks? Laptop? And be sure to upload a mix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭TheOldHand

You won't get gigs of any note unless you start promoting stuff yourself or become involved with promoters.

I'm not being big headed but every party i have played there have been other DJ's there that have complimented me on my mixing and compared to other DJ's my age i think i am better than a lot them that have been doing it long like i just think i have more of an idea of what mixing is, i wouldn't be as good as people a lot older then me i'm not saying that, i just meant for my age i would be good. I no 16 and 17 year olds one in particular that has played in clubs all over Dublin like ALT, 21's, Quinns, Button Factory, Purty Kitchen and a few more but i can't think off the top of my head.. So i'm guessing people have been bending the rules if your telling me thats illegal, i didn't no that! Yeah i think that would be a start sending out CD's. I have a laptop and a controller (DDJ SX). I have KRK Rokit monitors but no speakers for parties yet which i've been told by a lot of people is important to have? I have used CDJ's a few times and i can use them quite well but i wouldn't have the money for them to practise on because i pay for all my equipment myself..

• Advertisement

I didn't know laptop djs called themselves great a mixing.

And where did i call myself 'great' at mixing? And i clearly said i can use CD's so if your gonna be putting stupid comments like that can you stop comment on the post, i'm looking for advice not to be criticised for no reason.

And where did i call myself 'great' at mixing? And i clearly said i can use CD's so if your gonna be putting stupid comments like that can you stop comment on the post, i'm looking for advice not to be criticised for no reason.
    not being big headed but
    complimented me on my mixing
    i am better than a lot them

You say you've used cdjs a few times. A real pro then.

I'm gonna ask you again where did i say i was great? And i was asked about equipment and i answered so that makes me think i'm a pro? Get off the post please criticising a 16 year old girl over the internet over nothing would you get a life.

TheOldHand wrote: »
    I didn't know laptop djs called themselves great a mixing.

Based on that alone S1234 I'd ignore them ;)

S1234, as was said above your best off hammering promoters with CDs and mixes. Get your name out there and see what happens. Without being sexist, you are a girl and thats a fantastic niche in itself (When really it shouldn't be, the music is what matters) Honestly you'll find it much easier to get gigs if your as good as you say you are. For every female DJ there are about 100 lad DJs.

How long you been DJing? The SX is very new and was very hard to get initially. And secondly, can you mix without any Sync? The reason I ask is most clubs are too small to accommodate a laptop and controller. If your warming up, forget it as they won't have time or mixer space to get you out and the main act in. At least that is my personal experience, it is changing given the 'digital era' we're in now.

• Advertisement

I've been laptop djing longer than she has been alive, or since she was 6 to be exact. The whole mixing thing isn't something you'd shout about. Play good tracks.

TheOldHand wrote: »
    I've been laptop djing longer than she has been alive, or since she was 6 to be exact. The whole mixing thing isn't something you'd shout about. Play good tracks.

Ok, fair enough. I thought you were implying a laptop DJ couldn't be a DJ etc etc and all that nonsense. My mistake!

But yes, I believe there should be less emphasis on how you mix and rather the what you mix and how they blend it.

The reason i mentioned my mixing is because ALOT of people my age press a play button and call themselves a DJ. They don't mix at all just wait till the end of a song and press the play button again thats why i thought it was important to mention. And no i never used sync because a lot of people told me that was cheating etc.. so i never bothered with it. I literally just got the SX from DJBox, i've been waiting since December, i was using a S2 before that.
    How would I get in touch with promoters? Just through nightclubs and discos or would I actually have to find out names and phone numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Listen, you won't get gig's in nightclubs, DJs are ten a penny in Dublin AND you are underage. My suggestion, enjoy the house parties an come back in a couple of years with a bunch or mixes that you should be posting on mixcloud or soundcloud.

I don't live in Dublin I just know a lot of people in Dublin my age who get plenty of gigs in night clubs but thanks for the advice anyway

Do you have any mixes online at least? What music style's are you into?

All types of house music to be honest, recently i've been mixing a lot of deep house but none online yet, i get it now i should be putting some online which was obvious i don't no why i haven't been already.

I don't live in Dublin I just know a lot of people in Dublin my age who get plenty of gigs in night clubs but thanks for the advice anyway

With respect, your going to have to start naming names or particular nights. I go out a lot in Dublin and I've never seen anyone I would consider to be 18. Let alone 16. I've also played in Dublin and tried to get gigs in Dublin. It's a very closed market in my eyes.

Maybe on quieter nights, more niche nights, before 12 or as warms ups you could be right. But certainly big, commercial student nights are run by about 3 company's and I have the pleasure of knowing most of the DJs by name. No one is under 24.

Could you post a 20 min mix on SoundCloud? It's abit like the Athletics forum here. It's not that we doubt you but if you said you ran a 10km race in 20mins you'd want to be able to prove it. Same applies for mixing in my eyes.

Agree I've been promoting nights for the last year an rarely come across anyone under 21 never mind 16 year olds. In Dublin promoters book know acts to play nights and use resident DJs for the most to play warm up slots that's just the way its done. Unless you are going out to these gigs an meeting people in the scene you have no hope of getting gigs unless you have a DJ mix that blows people away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

For someone who works nationwide as a DJ mainly in weddings but have done some big clubs also. The club circuit in Ireland is mainly based on who ya know and who they know. Most gigs I get or give to other Djs comes form networking. Best to get in with a DJ and just observe and take in.
    I am based in Galway city aswell. Galway club scene is a very much closed shop. Same DJs for years but saying that they all know their stuff.
    The mobile scene in Galway is a mixed bag. Lots of undercutting by young wannabe's but with the right set up and networking you can earn good money.
    I started at 17 and my second gig was a nightclub. But back then there was 8 djs a night getting work in my hometown. Last saturday three Djs had gigs.
    No offence but I have lost count of the amount of people that tell me they are starting Djing. If you want to dj regularly prepare to work hard and give up a lot of your time.

• Advertisement

BTW when you say you are looking for work then you can forget about it. You have essentially no chance of getting paid gigs unless you are playing chart music.

Well I don't know the full story people could be lying about their age and getting away with it as they look around 18. And yes everyone is telling me Galway is the worst place to start because of how exclusive it is to work in places.. but others have told me its easy to get gigs in town so i'm confused as to how hard it really is? Sorry i should of made it clear i have been DJ'ing for over a year and yes thats not a lot but im not just starting.
    "TheOldHand" Forget about it? I've already been payed in the past by a few people! Please i've asked you to stop commenting because all you seem to do is put me down so please could you stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Hi OP, if I was you I'd quit going on about your age. Saying stuff like 'compared to other 16 year olds' and 'I'm good for my age' are irrelevant points when it comes to djing.

You're either good enough or you're not. Unless promoters are actively looking for kids you should be comparing yourself to ALL djs, not 16 year olds.

And with the greatest of respect, to be djing a year is nothing. It's great that you like it and you feel you're good at it but there are loads of talented djs with decades of experience who don't get paid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you know or you think? i KNOW theres no regular dj in any of the 9 or 10 biggest clubs in dublin close to under 18

I SAID that DJ'ing for a year wasn't a lot if you read what i said, i haven't put up this post to be put down i am just looking for advice, knowing my age is very relevant for getting jobs as i know no i'm not allowed in to a nightclub. And i know for a fact, i'm not arguing, but seriously 100% i know 17 year olds who have been in nightclubs, not regularly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

And you've been given plenty of sound advice already. You're going on like someone owes you paid work.

I wasn't referring to you! and i'm not even looking for paid work i will work for FREE if it means experience ,

What paying gigs have you got? Playing deep house?

I SAID that DJ'ing for a year wasn't a lot if you read what i said, i haven't put up this post to be put down i am just looking for advice, knowing my age is very relevant for getting jobs as i know no i'm not allowed in to a nightclub. And i know for a fact, i'm not arguing, but seriously 100% i know 17 year olds who have been in nightclubs, not regularly though.

Listen, take it from me. Forums can make your blood boil but I can hand on heart say all the folks here want the best for you. Tone etc can be very hard to convey and I've often taken stuff the wrong way here!

I started at 15. Practised to high heaven but only landed my first gig at (I think) 19. I actually didn't feel ready to play before then. I know you might feel ready but there is a huge difference between bedroom and stage. Its colossal. I'd say 75% of DJing is getting out of the 'oh sh*te' moment when no one is dancing. You also need to make a choice between playing what you love (And perhaps less gigs / smaller crowd) and playing charts (Far more gigs but probably less enjoyable)

My best advice is do up 4 mixes. Brilliant mixes. Upload on SoundCloud and pass them out. Hound promoters in a good way. The response you get will more than likely be negative but its the only way you learn and eventually it comes right.
    i will work for FREE if it means experience

And never, ever work for free. Ever. People will take you for an utter ride. Play for a small fee but never free.

• Advertisement

That is exactly what i was looking for good advice so thank you .. I have done garage parties and house parties, this is a stupid question but what is the main difference between them and dj'ing in a night club?

Advertisement