Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental to swap solid floors for laminate?

Options
  • 01-03-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just bought a new house, moving in a few months and just making a plan for what we'd like to do. My biggest dislike of the house is the floors. I love darkwood floors, walnut especially or dark oak. The house has maple through the ground floor at the moment.

I've read that since maple is so dense it's impossible to get a good finish with staining is darker.

We might put up with it, but I'm thinking we might get new floors down. I was told oak and walnut are quite soft, I wonder would laminate or semi solid be a better option in terms of being hard wearing? Worked it out on the AE measurements and it looks like we need about 480 ft sq

How much would this cost? Any ballpark ideas?

Thanks!

edit- sorry I see a better forum for this now... not sure how to delete?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If your determined to put laminate down , you should be able to lay it on top of the maple, at least if you change your mind your hardwood floor is still there...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Markcheese wrote: »
    If your determined to put laminate down , you should be able to lay it on top of the maple, at least if you change your mind your hardwood floor is still there...

I second that idea, you don't want any regrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Markcheese wrote: »

+1. OP each to their own, if you hate maple you hate maple. I wouldn't pull it up though, you may change your mind. If you sell the house in future the buyer had two options of flooring if you simply lay over it.
    Another thing to bear in mind, a wood floor is warmer than laminate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you can stain maple
    nearly all acacia is stained and its got a tighter grain

600-900 + labour will get you the look you want in laminate but wont look as good

Advertisement