Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good butchers near Rathfarnham

Options
  • 01-03-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm sick of buying meat in Tesco and Aldi and want to see if there really is any difference between it, and much more expensive meats that you'd get in a butcher.

What butchers would you all recommend? In an ideal world I'd prefer someone who slaughters their own animals but I realise this is extremely rare. Organic and free range would be desirable too.

Any recommendations? I'm based in Rathfarnham and don't really want to make a massive drive weekly to buy meat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Is it horse, beef, or donkey. Its a big village.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Hi all,

I'm sick of buying meat in Tesco and Aldi and want to see if there really is any difference between it, and much more expensive meats that you'd get in a butcher.

What butchers would you all recommend? In an ideal world I'd prefer someone who slaughters their own animals but I realise this is extremely rare. Organic and free range would be desirable too.

Any recommendations? I'm based in Rathfarnham and don't really want to make a massive drive weekly to buy meat.

Wilsons in rathfarnham probably has the best reputation locally, but can be a little more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

onedmc wrote: »
    Wilsons in rathfarnham probably has the best reputation locally, but can be a little more expensive.

I just dont like Wilsons stuffing. Repeats on me something terrible. Otherwise they are good. I dont find them expensive, no worse than anywhere.

Ive been using the same butchers for years, in Firhouse, on the same block as Firhouse Credit Union but that might be a bit far for the OP. At this stage Ive a relationship with them and they give me good deals - mind you I spend a lot!

Theres a butchers just down from Marios in Terenure that does organic and free range meat, some game and things you wouldnt get elsewhere - pricey though, but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all,

Have you tried fx Buckley in Nutgrove shopping centre? Don't know if they are organic but their sausages are unreal, even nicer than superquinns!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Will try those too. Went to Wilsons this morning, got a shoulder of lamb and a sweet chilli chicken fillet for €12. Place was busy even at 10:00, always a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Wilson's are fantastic, really good quality meat at good prices.
    FX Buckley's, in my opinion, are really overpriced and I wouldn't go near them when my local butcher can offer me fair prices for the same quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

I just dont like Wilsons stuffing. Repeats on me something terrible. .

You must make your own stuffing, its sooo easy to up your own is 2 minutes. you dont even have to be very accurate with the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I second Wilson's. really excellent. I actually don't find FX Buckleys too bad but I mainly get their "packaged" deals 2 or 3 for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I always liked Wilsons, I stopped going the day they told me an eye of the round roast was the same as a rib roast :(

Advertisement