Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad prices in Dublin Airport Duty Free

• 01-03-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if you get much of a discount of regular prices in Dublin Duty Free?

I've tried a search and there are no reasonably recent threads (that I could see!).

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

drkpower wrote: »
    Anyone know if you get much of a discount of regular prices in Dublin Duty Free?

I've tried a search and there are no reasonably recent threads (that I could see!).

Thanks

You could ask the MD of currys himself. He is a poster over at http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1333 he can tell you price, stock levels and maybe put one on hold for you. There's feck all margins in apple products, so don't expect a discount ;)

You may get a discount on a case or some assessory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

kceire wrote: »
    You could ask the MD of currys himself.

The airport electronics shop is dixons isn't it?
    Last time a checked cheapest iPad is about €30 less than retail, the more expensive the iPad the bigger the difference/discount... If I remember will check next week...

flyguy wrote: »
    The airport electronics shop is dixons isn't it?
    Last time a checked cheapest iPad is about €30 less than retail, the more expensive the iPad the bigger the difference/discount... If I remember will check next week...

Sh1t, yeah your right. Sorry my boo boo :(

Groupon - citydeal have an iPad 3 for €459 today

Groupon - citydeal have an iPad 3 for €459 today

3? Or 4? They say "iPad with retina" which is apple's official name for the 4th gen (even though "the new -now old- iPad" 3rd gen has retina as well). Can't see on pic if it has the lighting connector but it think it's the 4 (too lazy to check specs on apple). Otherwise €459 is not a good deal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

3? Or 4? They say "iPad with retina" which is apple's official name for the 4th gen (even though "the new -now old- iPad" 3rd gen has retina as well). Can't see on pic if it has the lighting connector but it think it's the 4 (too lazy to check specs on apple). Otherwise €459 is not a good deal...

The groupon one has the A6X graphics chip. I think that's the 4th generation, am i right?

The discounts get crappy for the higher GB models though.

Think they will release the next model by October?

See what you did?! You made me check, yes you are (like I was) right, it's the 4th gen (sorry kceire;-)
    Noticed the lower discounts for higher mem models as well, also don't go for the accessories (case, protector etc) you can get identical on dx.com for less...
    New model prob out in fall, but if that bothers you you can never buy one (or just buy a refurb 3, which is still better value for money IMHO)

I'm heading to Vegas and New York in October, that's why I ask. Could pick up new model if there and it was released

October? I'd say iPad 5 will be around, some say well before that date;
    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/ipad-5-release-date-news-and-rumors-1107009

goz83 wrote: »
    The groupon one has the A6X graphics chip. I think that's the 4th generation, am i right?

The discounts get crappy for the higher GB models though.

Think they will release the next model by October?
    See what you did?! You made me check, yes you are (like I was) right, it's the 4th gen (sorry kceire;-)
    Noticed the lower discounts for higher mem models as well, also don't go for the accessories (case, protector etc) you can get identical on dx.com for less...
    New model prob out in fall, but if that bothers you you can never buy one (or just buy a refurb 3, which is still better value for money IMHO)

Looks to be th iPad 4 alright, at €459 it's a gat price for the 16gb model IMHO. I paid €480 for min at Christmas in the power city sale and I though I was doi well.

Although apple knock 10% off them for the Black Friday sale. My mam bought one online before Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Groupon deal is definitely the iPad 4 for €459 for a 16GB.

I havent seen them any cheaper than that anywhere I've checked

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You could ask the MD of currys himself. He is a poster over at http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1333 he can tell you price, stock levels and maybe put one on hold for you. There's feck all margins in apple products, so don't expect a discount ;)

You may get a discount on a case or some assessory.

Declan is gone a few weeks. They reckon they don't need an MD in Ireland?:eek:

Maybe I'm better off buying one here, because I can claim the vat back anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

I'm heading to Vegas and New York in October, that's why I ask. Could pick up new model if there and it was released

Why not just buy it in the States?

imfml wrote: »
    Why not just buy it in the States?

Well I'm now thinking that if I buy in the states and I have to buy an Irish charger and all that, I might be saving €100, give or take. If I buy here and claim back vat, I'm saving about the same.

edit: If I buy the deal from Groupon, technically i'm buying from an Irish registered company (their irish base and all that), so I can still claim the VAT back. I might go for that deal. €459 would become €373.17 after I calaim the VAT back. Not bad eh? Only I lost my wallet the other day, so I have to wait for replacement cards before I can order. :(

edit 2: The company selling on Groupon are kind of mis-selling the discount, because they are basing their price on the irish apple store price (ie, another business) which is wrong imo. However, it may be Groupon who have priced it in this way. The price advertised on their site is £399.95 (€461.37), so they are not really discounting the price to the consumer. It might be an idea to call the company and ask what price they can do, considering Groupon are likely taking a sizeable chunk of the profits.

edit 2: The company selling on Groupon are kind of mis-selling the discount, because they are basing their price on the irish apple store price (ie, another business) which is wrong imo. However, it may be Groupon who have priced it in this way. The price advertised on their site is £399.95 (€461.37), so they are not really discounting the price to the consumer. It might be an idea to call the company and ask what price they can do, considering Groupon are likely taking a sizeable chunk of the profits.

I don't get this comment? The Irish apple store price is the Irish price. It's the same price in every store in Ireland and that's the same as the apple online store.

I don't get this comment? The Irish apple store price is the Irish price. It's the same price in every store in Ireland and that's the same as the apple online store.

My point is that the company selling the product is not the Irish apple store, its a British reseller using the Irish apple store prices as their full price base. Basically the Groupon deal is not really a Groupon deal and the only percentage saving is in what you might save on postage if ordering direct from the company.

It would be like power city having a panasonic tv for sale at an in-store price of €500. The price direct from Panasonic is €600 and power city put out a Groupon deal for €500 with advertised saving of €100 and a quote of the direct Panasonic price of €600. Power city would not be offering a deal in this case, they are simply telling customers where the tv is more expensive and consumers are not getting a clear picture.

Don't get me wrong, the Groupon deal is still a good one, but its not an honest one the way it's advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I was in New york there at around xmas and got a 32Gb Black in apple and it cost me €504(Inc Taxes in NY state),Its €609 only here,Its not hard to get a converter for it and it works out well cheaper.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I was in New york there at around xmas and got a 32Gb Black in apple and it cost me €504(Inc Taxes in NY state),Its €609 only here,Its not hard to get a converter for it and it works out well cheaper.

If I buy a 32GB one here in the apple store online, It would cost me €609, but then I claim back the VAT of €113.88 and the 32GB model then only costs me €495.12, so that's cheaper than New York and I don't have to fork out for a converter.

Even better, if I buy the Groupon 32GB model for €569 (which I most likely will), I only pay €462 after getting the VAT back. I think I would also get the case offered in the deal. I wouldn't need more than 32GB. I have a 64GB iPhone 4S and I don't think I need that kind of memory at all, so I won't be sold on memory again.

Advertisement