Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good beginner pipe tobacco?

Options
  • 01-03-2013 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hey guys I have recently bought a pipe to try with two tins of Peterson Tobacco called Luxury Blend and Sweet Killarney, but I have found they burn very, very hot and while the taste is good it leaves quite an unpleasant sensation on my tongue (think its called tongue bite.) Would anyone be able to recommend something a little milder on the tongue with a nice taste and reasonably good smell? Price isn't much of an issue as I am only smoking it once in a blue moon. Thanks for any help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

andrew369 wrote: »
    Hey guys I have recently bought a pipe to try with two tins of Peterson Tobacco called Luxury Blend and Sweet Killarney, but I have found they burn very, very hot and while the taste is good it leaves quite an unpleasant sensation on my tongue (think its called tongue bite.) Would anyone be able to recommend something a little milder on the tongue with a nice taste and reasonably good smell? Price isn't much of an issue as I am only smoking it once in a blue moon. Thanks for any help. :)

Hi Andrew, welcome to the great world of pipes & tobacco! Firstly if you bought a brand new pipe, then you're going to find that all your tobacco is going to be a bit 'bitter' at first due to the fact that you will need to 'break in' the new pipe. When you are lighting your pipe you will be putting a flame to the inside of the bowl which won't be protected yet until it's broken in, and has a layer of tar/residue covering the inside of the bowl. Also, as a new smoker you are probably drawing on the pipe a little to harshly and quickly. The trick is too draw in the smoke slowly to ensure a cool smoke is achieved, otherwise you will end up with a hot smoke, which in turn will burn the tobacco too hotly and give you the hateful tongue bite.

Both of your tobaccos are flavored and so need a cool smoke to enjoy them. Slow down, and don't rush. Half bowls at first until you have a build up of residue around the bottom of the bowl, then build up the amounts.

Also, remember, clean your pipe and let it rest, don't rush it. If you want to try different types of tobacco, which you will, then get another pipe.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Thanks all these have helped a little and it seemed a little milder today when I tried it :). Do you think it is better to use a lighter or matches for lighting it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

andrew369 wrote: »
    Thanks all these have helped a little and it seemed a little milder today when I tried it :). Do you think it is better to use a lighter or matches for lighting it up?
    I find a lighter to be OK. Matches are sometimes coated with chemicals that are noticeable.

Advertisement