Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on wiring repair (2 pics)

Options
  • 01-03-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a hard wired hkc securewave alarm. Unfortunately about 6 years ago a blinds installer drilled into the wiring above my back window which set off the alarm and if memory serves it was the tamper circuit that was effected. I called out the alarm installer who said the best solution would be to bypass that sensor which would leave me with no tamper on that sensor but the sensor would still work. I went with this as the alternative was cutting out walls etc.
    After about a year however i noticed that the sensor did not work at all. you can open the window,bang on it whatever and the alarm will not go off? Lately I've saved up some extra cash to get a few jobs done so looked into a wireless set up with a new alarm however thanks to this forum I have been put wise to the flimsiness of the gsm units and how easily they are blocked so I'm looking at repairing this damaged wiring.
    Question is I was advised by a different installer that i could just tap into the power from the back door sensor and bring the power over to the window sensor thats faulty? There is about 50-60 cms netween them and the wiring would be neatly tacked in behind the bling, Is this doable? I've reasnable experience wiring motorbikes and simple light circuits for the shed etc but when i opened the 2 sensors it did look complicated to say the least. I have asked 3 installers to come have a look for me but none showed up when they said they would. They are 2 different sensor types, can it be done?
    2nd pic is the door sensor which has a magnet secured to the frame.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you feeding from the junction box in the first pic.?
    If so seperate the greens and use that pair to the sensor/ contact on your window.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Had something similar happen to me a few years ago, and managed to put in a new wire down to the sensor without having to chase the wall, but I could get into the area above the sensor to make the connections, as they're in a crawl space of a dormer bungalow.

Got my hands on a 18" masonry drill that was just larger than the 4 core cable, and very carefully drilled up through the render behind the plaster from the bottom of the window head into the roof area, then drilled from the front of the reveal through the hole just drilled, and back to close to the sensor.

Took a bit of time and care to drill the 2 holes, and I was lucky in one respect that this house is not dry lined

Biggest pain was getting the cable round the direction change in the holes, and then all I had to make good was 2 small holes on the front and underside of the head of the window, and a little bit of filler close to the sensor. Only put in one new wire to the sensor, then put a new secure connection box in the roof area to connect the 2 damaged cables that were originally connecting the sensor.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are you feeding from the junction box in the first pic.?
    If so seperate the greens and use that pair to the sensor/ contact on your window.
    No the other way around, the first pic is the bad sensor, what do you think? Thanks!
    Had something similar happen to me a few years ago, and managed to put in a new wire down to the sensor without having to chase the wall, but I could get into the area above the sensor to make the connections, as they're in a crawl space of a dormer bungalow.

Got my hands on a 18" masonry drill that was just larger than the 4 core cable, and very carefully drilled up through the render behind the plaster from the bottom of the window head into the roof area, then drilled from the front of the reveal through the hole just drilled, and back to close to the sensor.

Took a bit of time and care to drill the 2 holes, and I was lucky in one respect that this house is not dry lined

Biggest pain was getting the cable round the direction change in the holes, and then all I had to make good was 2 small holes on the front and underside of the head of the window, and a little bit of filler close to the sensor. Only put in one new wire to the sensor, then put a new secure connection box in the roof area to connect the 2 damaged cables that were originally connecting the sensor.
    Handy! Unfortunately I don't have a crawl space/access up above!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The first pic is only a junction box.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just downloaded the first pic, 224, which is the junction box, and it's very hard to tell, has a jumper wire been added between the top 2 terminal, the green and (looks grey but I think is actually) white? I tried zooming the picture, but if I zoom it, the quality goes, so it can't be determined.

If those 2 are bridged, then there's something strange there to investigate, depending on where the 2 wires that are being joined there are going. If one goes to the panel. or another sensor, and the other to the sensor that's not working, and that is a bridge wire, that's why it's not detecting, green and white joined there (if they are) is bridging out the sensor loop at that point.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Ok before i go in and get a better pic, that junction box is the only thing from the alarm on my window? I assumed it had some kind mercury switch or something similar in it to detect the window being tampered with- Am i missing something? Again Thanks for the help!
    Robbie

Ok before i go in and get a better pic, that junction box is the only thing from the alarm on my window? I assumed it had some kind mercury switch or something similar in it to detect the window being tampered with- Am i missing something? Again Thanks for the help!
    Robbie

It would appear so. Take a pic of the full window as well. Is there any other devices on it at all?

Advertisement