Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stacey's Study Log

• 01-03-2013 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭

The idea of these logs seems very motivating so I think I'll try it out.

Was very hardworking in 5th year and aced all my subjects but idk gone so lazy this year!
    Goal for the leaving is 540, didn't do a stitch of work for the mocks and they're coming in around 430-460 so loads of work to do. Starting to think honours everything is a bad idea!

Anyway basically today is just a crash course in oral Irish as my mock is tomorrow morning!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Also my mock results as of now;
    D3 in maths HL (seems low but I'm ecstatic I passed :D)
    B2 in English HL
    C1 in Biology HL - gutted as I usually get A1s but I didn't do any study so it was expected.
    C2 in Geography HL - also usually A1 subject but the paper was a shambles, needs more time to complete it, left out a whole section!
    Still waiting on Art, German and Irish HL

Two hours to go until my mock Irish oral!
    I've been up since 9 cramming and regretting not studying. At this stage I've just been going through the sraith pictiuri making sure I can make up basic sentences.
    hopeless for the comhra although if the examiner sticks to basic enough topics it should be alright.
    Caithfimis bheith dóchasach :D

The four hours of tedious cramming this morning helped, Irish oral went great :D when I say great, possibly a C1 (not counting Irish anyway)
    The examiner said my poetry was the best he had heard :) the sraith pictiur went okay also, I was just delighted I understood his three questions!

I was freaking out about comhra because others that did it today got questions like "What would you do if you were the minister for health/education?" but I figured such questions stemmed from college courses so I went with "nil a fhios ach tá suim agam le ceim bitheolaiocht bfheidir" :) (I know, fadas take too long to do okay)
    Anyway my comhra was nice and simple, family, hobbies etc, what I would like to do next year and the likes...:D Overall happy with it :)

Gonna take the rest of the day off and get back on track tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I was going to wish ya luck earlier but my internet went dead for a while :L
    Glad it went so good!

Appreciate it anyways :D kinda reassuring knowing there's another month until the real thing though, phew! :)

• Advertisement

Spent the night writing up and learning off some geography essays, definitely time for a sleep now!

Finished correcting and studying said corrections from the geography mock this morning, gonna learn German Rollenspiel 3&4 now and then finish up bits of homework for the night :)

Sat here wondering does anyone else study with headphones on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

peekachoo wrote: »
    Finished correcting and studying said corrections from the geography mock this morning, gonna learn German Rollenspiel 3&4 now and then finish up bits of homework for the night :)

Sat here wondering does anyone else study with headphones on...

It depends what I am studying but now and again I use headphones :

David1994 wrote: »

It depends what I am studying but now and again I use headphones :

At least I'm not alone :D in hindsight it's probably why I forget everything though.

Ugh well today was rotten. :(

Currently laughing at my feeble attempts to complete my maths homework (trigonometric function graphs are making NO sense to me :()
    I have two more German rollenspielen to learn off tonight, jeez I hope the examiner sticks to the sheet coz otherwise I'm ***£%&£-:? (that's not even a word, that's how bad I am). In between that and hopefully catching the Walking Dead later I'm going to try and get enzymes and digestion revised in biology and hopefully start on the practice write up of my geography project!

Still waiting for Irish, German and Art History papers back. Really getting on my nerves, I really want the AH paper to see my total result as I'm furious over my art craftwork result.

Of course this study plan will only be in effect if I ever finish my maths homework (I'll be having nightmares about the bonus points).

• Advertisement

Realistically not getting any study done today. Well I would have if my school gave the option to do PE or not, I would at least have had an hour done. -_-

For homework tonight I have to rewrite and correct the whole geography mock :( going to take forever. To make matters worse I also have to do two Question As from the English papers.

On the plus side I flew through my maths homework as I finally understand trigonometrical graphs, woo :D
    Gonna at least try to learn off the last Rollenspiel tonight and get something done.

Got my Art History paper back today, 78% :D cannot even begin to understand how the craft work was marked so hard (I got 60%, my usual grade is A1) so I was afraid the history would be marked hard too. At least the history brought me up, phew :)

Tonight I have to write up my first draft of my geography project and learn off some Fragen for German oral tomorrow, and some maths.

Then I'm gonna revise Irish Manuscripts and Da Vinci in art history, sraith pictiur 18 and some Casablanca quotes for the comparative essay! :)

Did absolutely nothing today :/
    so tired from the week I ended up sleeping on the couch all evening. Think I'll leave my homework until my double study in the morning and just go to bed.

Although I just remembered I have a biology exam tomorrow on digestion and respiration so I guess I'll have to go over that :(

So relieved it's Friday :D
    So I now have all my mocks back, my first choice on CAO is biomedical sciences in UCC/CIT at 530 points last year. Bear in mind I did not study at all for these mocks and hopefully I'll get around 550 in June.

English HL - 70(B3) - hoping to bring that up to B1/A2/A1

Irish HL - 71 (B3)- excluding my oral will I'll have the results for on Monday :) - never thought I'd get that mark so if I got this in June I'd be delighted!

Maths HL - 41 (D3) - absolutely delighted with this!! Didn't think I'd pass as i find the course extremely challenging. Hopefully will boost this grade to a D2/D1 for June!

German HL - 68 (C1) - excluding oral which isn't done yet. Fairly happy with this, it all comes down to the comprehensions on the day although i really need to work on grammar!

Geography HL - 60 (C2) - v. disappointing as it's usually one of my A1 subjects but i did no preparation and the questions on the day really didn't suit me. Hoping for an A1 in June!

Biology HL - 72 (B3) - disappointed with this also but like geography, I didn't study. Another subject I'm aiming for an A1 in June.

Art HL - 78 - (B1) - I got an A in the history paper but unfortunately the craftwork was marked extreeeeemely hard. Aiming for an A1 in June as I'm fairly capable.

Leaves me with a grand total of 445. Although it's fairly disappointing it's around what I expected! Serious mountain to climb to boost my points by another 100 but sure we can only hope :)

ANYWAY today I'm going to complete my maths homework and write up the next section of my geography project. I'll make a start on my English essay also (What it means to you to be Irish...euck) but I won't be doing study as I'm leaving to see a show at 7. :)
    Fun weekend of study ahead!

Unfortunately got little to no study done this weekend due to my sister being home for the first time in a few months :)

I did get my homework completed and
    German: learned a roleplay for a class test tomorrow
    Art: Irish manuscripts (Book of Kells/Durrow/Catach) for a class test tomorrow

I'll have to make up for it with loads of study during the week!

Made the decision today with my guidance teacher to change my first choice from Biomedical Science in UCC (530) to Biological & Biomedical Sciences in NUIM (460). The difference in points is a serious bonus although I'm still aiming for 530 to avail of the scholarship :)
    I'm the only girl from my school applying for NUIM so I'm terrified.

Anyway in a double study today I revised Shakespearean sonnets. At home I revised kingship in Macbeth, arithmetic and financial maths.
    I have a second mock maths exam next Wednesday so I have to try and get the course crammed in. The joys of HL maths <3

Spent about 2 hours this evening making posters for debs tickets. Damn this committee! It's worth the free tickets though ;)

Anyway this evening I did an English Question B, calculus paper questions, the Ausserung from the German mock paper and my homework.

I missed about 6 days in the past two weeks and in that time I missed most of the fluvial project notes for geography. We're meant to be handing up a mock booklet by Friday and I'm clueless. :/

Had such a productive day today (so far)
    did extra maths after school today going over trig and I've been in the books since I got home.
    I went over genetics completely, wrote out 7 pages of my geography project (including the OS sketch which took me an hour!), went over Louis Le Brocquy and cubism painting styles, Sraith Pictiur #20 and more trig :)

Finishing up my study now, i was unusually motivated to work today but am now giving up and heading to bed. I got my five German roleplays revised and in my study classes tomorrow I need to revise conversation ahead of a class test tomorrow evening.
    I also watched Limitless and while doing so, transferred some Irish artifacts notes into my Art History copy!
    It's way past my bedtime...

Can't wait for paddys night, definitely in need of a break :O anyway, today I did:

Art History: took 2.5 hours and did a whole paper.
    Maths: trig questions and constructions
    Biology: revised skeleton and muscles
    Geography: did one record sheet for the project.

What I still have to do this evening:
    Biology: endocrine system and respiratory system
    English: Personal Essay on what it means to me to be Irish (help!!!)
    Art History: Book of Kells question
    German: oral, general conversation

• Advertisement

Not even going to lie and say I did anything this weekend, I haven't opened my bag since Friday.
    I literally have no motivation whatsoever. :(

I have a loooooong night ahead of me.
    I have a maths exam tomorrow that we have to do during our double in the morning and for an hour after school that I haven't even started revising for. Which means tonight I have to revise

Complex Numbers
    Financial Maths
    Differentiation
    Integration
    Algebra
    Probability
    Statistics
    Geometry
    Co-Ordinate Geometry
    Trigonometry
    :(
    Ugh and on top of that I have an art history exam tomorrow on Jack B Yeats.
    The stress of LC is finally getting to me. Somewhere in between this time I have to finish and prepare my German project and do a radio talk for english, and learn off sraiths 19 & 20!

All i can say is wish me luck...

Maths was horrible today, just about survived :(

In a double free I did a practice feature article for English.
    At home I revised;
    Biology - ecology
    Irish - 2 sraith
    German - project questions

Went home today at half 12 because of having four frees after lunch (well double religion and two frees). I had planned on studying but I ended up painting for most of that time which is still practice for the art practical (technically ;))

So far this evening I finished my Cinema Bizarre scrapbook for the German oral and learned off my presentation.
    Now I'm gonna finish revising ecology from yesterday, do 2 sraiths and do my maths + geography homework :D

Easter holidays tomorrow :D any other year I would be rejoicing but this year it just emphasises the inevitability of the orals :(
    3 more months...:)

Coming home to the start of a two week break is de-press-ing :(

Gonna cover the respiratory system, biochemistry of respiration, maths constructions 1 through 10 and attempt (and surely fail) to revise indices and logs. Then I'm heading out for a few sociables ;)

Did nothing today or yesterday, gonna start again tomorrow.

I've been avoiding this since the pres, gonna start now and update later :D

Did 6 hours today :O
    - learned all Bishop quotes and did a question on her
    - wrote out and learned off Art History, Gallery question
    - learned statistics definitions, looked over both chapters and did some exam questions
    - Irish comprehension

Later I'm going to do a geography question on culture in India (after BGT ;)) and if I'm in the mood I'll look at geoecology!

After doing 4 hours work on genetics. Never want to see it again!

• Advertisement

Went over Rich and Bishop by theme and learned all the quotes

Learned German vocab for ausserung and letters

Revised Karst landscape

Still not managing more than two hours a night I'm really worrying myself :/

Wrote out notes and revised Michelangelo Buonarroti and the High Renaissance and now it is definitely bedtime :pac:

Spent today and yesterday revising all of physical geography quite well, stuck in my brain now :P

Also I invested in a Less Stress book for Art History & I'd recommend it to anyone doing art, I know most people struggle with the paper and classes/notes aren't great and I've been finding it a great help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

I'm repeating the leaving externally this year and was wondering if anyone has any key points to consider for Theme/issue for the Comparative.
    I've chosen to do How many miles to Babylon, Sive & I'm not scared, and my theme being Relationships. Or if anyone thinks I'd be better off doing a different theme to suit all 3 texts could you let me know. I did Babylon & I'm not scared last year under the theme Family Relationships, so thought doing Relationships this year would be a bit more dynamic but I'm not 100% yet. I have a C2 in English and am hoping to get a B3 this year so any hints/suggestions are much appreciated.
    Thanks

lc_2013 wrote: »
    any ts/suggestions are much appreciated.
    Thanks
    not doing any of those texts, sorry!

Right so here's my plan for the evening:
    Maths - geometry chapters 1+2 and trig, all going well

Irish - learn an Triail theme sample answer

English - run over Macbeth, quotes, supernatural/kingship/downfall

Biology; plant structure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

what essay topics is everyone covering for irish?

lc_2013 wrote: »
    what essay topics is everyone covering for irish?

education, the gathering, the Irish language

Today I covered Picasso (art history)

Structure of Flowering Plants
    Transport in Flowering Plants
    Photosynthesis - Biochemistry
    Plant Responses
    Enzymes
    Homeostasis (biology)

Hurlamaboc
    - traits of Lisín
    - livelihood in the Celtic Tiger (Irish)

Had supervised study in school all day so I covered -
    Statistics revision and all the questions in the papers (took forever :( )

Flew back over Picasso for a half hour because I was falling asleep doing it last night

Learned off Todhchaí na Gaeilge essay

Macbeths Soliloquys - meaning, mental state, quotes, awareness and all that

So for the evening I'm gonna (hopefully)
    Go back over the end of my Todhchaí na Gaeilge essay

Do some geoecology - probably desert biome

digestive system
    Lymphatic system

And if I'm not dead by then, complex numbers + exam questions

I hate the leaving cert :(

Didn't do any geoecology as my notes are everywhere so doing it tomorrow, instead I did art history, passage graves, Newgrange and Knowth

So far today I have done
    Karst Landscape and cycle of erosion
    River processes, ox bow lake meanders and waterfalls
    Sea chapter for short questions [geography]

Complex Numbers [maths]

The cell [biology]

Tara Brooch and Ardagh Chalice [Art History]

Doing Geoecology - Soil Characteristics from now until 6, then I have maths grinds so we'll be doing trigonometry

Then hopefully tonight I'll get theme/issue done for comparative and take a break and watch BGT :pac:

• Advertisement

Did area and volume this morning

Followed by soil composition (geoecology)

Then the Cross of Cong (art h)
    & Athlone Crucifixion Plaque

Then BMW & GDA regions (geography)

Gonna learn an An Triail essay later and cover financial maths

The sun is so distracting! :(

All I did today was maths proofs;
    Prove root 3 is irrational,
    Construct root 2 with proof,
    Construct root 3 with proof,
    first principles proofs: x2, x3, 1/X, rootX, sinx and cosx,
    Prove sum rule by first principles
    Prove quotient rule by first principles
    Prove product rule by first principles
    Prove chain rule by induction

Did 2007/6/5 biology short qs and experiment qs
    Our biology teacher did a run through of all experiments with us

Spent the rest of the day in the sun!
    Hoping to make up for it later with some An Triail work and geoecology

Did a genetics grind this morning
    learned an isostasy essay for geography
    Spent loads of time on the three algebra chapters and papers

Planning on doing more later...can't bring myself to study any Irish :(

Didn't do much yesterday just some exam questions...

Hoping to fix my motivation today and I'm just gonna focus on my exams this week

So this morning I covered theme/issue for Casablanca, my sisters keeper & translations
    I'm about to launch into Macbeth now, then for the rest of the day I will cover

Kinsella, cultural context,
    Formation of igneous and sedimentary rocks
    Maps of Ireland, Scania, mezz and India
    Arithmetic
    Area & Volume
    Indices & Logarithms

It's gonna be a long day :eek:

Did an overview of maths p1 at grinds and did the mezzogiorno, and practiced regional maps for geography

Can't seem to motivate myself to do more than this in the last few days I've just given up caring :pac:

Alrighty I guess its about time to wrap this thing up, every other day between now and next Friday will be cramming on the subjects I have the next day -

It's been a good one, won't miss it though :pac:

Gonna use this log to update on how I think my exams go;

So anyway English p1,
    Was extremely happy with this paper tbh :D
    I started with the essay, I did q7 on a reunion, wrote about a guy and his fiancee living in new York, and one day he's going to leave for work and there's a fire outside. Basically someone is going to war with America and they start bombing the city. Anyway James (the guy) tells his fiancee to stay in the apartment until he gets back, he's gonna go find out what's going on, and drive out to the suburbs to get his mother (we later find out his dad died at war and he feels like he has to protect his mother)

So as he's driving away from the city the whole city explodes basically, and crumbles. So he realises he can't go back for his fiancee Amanda now so he drives on to where his mam lives. Queue planes driving over his car towards his mams estate!!
    So he gets to his mams house and finds she's dead (tear :( ) and as he's crying he realises Amanda might still be alive so he goes to leave, then the house gets bombed.

Anyway so he leaves the house and drives back to the city and finds his apartment block was blown up and he's lying on the ground screaming and his fiancee stumbles out of the apartment car park for their little reunion ;)

Lovely cliff hanger ending, as they hug they realise they're surrounded by men in black armour, "and they're looking straight at us." :D

It ended up being about 7 pages but I think it was good :)

Question A I did on the cliff hanger which was graaaand, I enjoyed the tv references

I started question B at 12.10 so I rushed it...a LOT! I did the one on text 3 about the tourist attraction and wrote about a nearby glen in all its glory.

Overall I'd say it went great, I think my question B let me down so im gonna predict a B grade :)

P2 went swimmingly :D
    Studied Plath and Shakespeare, loved the Plath question, happy with it :)
    also reaaaaally liked the unseen poem i thought it was so cute haha I'm such a girl :pac:

comparative was better than i expected (i think) theme issue question was grand, kept referring back to the question and all that.

Liked the Macbeth question on imagery i got to put in loads of things and pretty much everything i wanted to

Overall extremely happy with English. Got a b3 in the mocks, and comparing that to now I'll be hoping for a B1/A2 :)

my English posts have been awful happy, wait until tomorrow while i drown my sorrows after maths/geog...

Alrighty then, fairly ecstatic with today!

geography I thought was a great paper! The short questions were fairly straightforward so hopefully scored between 70-80 there
    I did q2 in physical, may have slightly messed up the 20 mark q on folding, I think I named the opposite ones the right answers! :P waterfall q was a simple classic, and human interaction w/ rock cycle was a dream!
    Regional q I did the first(?) one with the map of a European region (Italy), secondary activities in GDA which was fabulous, and socio-economics which I kinda used all my regions to bluff through.

I did the human q where we drew the enniscorthy small map,
    The question on resources impacting population, talked about the Sahel and Dublin
    And the question on migration causing religious and ethical issues so I wrote about India and Pakistan :)

Geoecology, I almost cried. Brown earth soils appeared :D I genuinely think I was finished this section in about 15 min because I just splurted all the info out - before I forgot it :D
    Genuinely happy overall, will be aiming for about a B1, if it was based on the paper alone I might had hoped for an A but i messed up my project a bit. :eek:

Moving on, for the first time in my life i think i may have passed HL maths :O complex number question was great, simultaneous equations are always welcome. The matchstick question was a bit dodge as was the stadium question, id say i got about 30-50% of these right so hopefully attempt marks bring me up!

I thought the calculus was absolutely disgusting, as i usually do - i will never get my head around calculus - so I'm banking on attempt marks alone here.
    Financial maths q was grand although i didn't get out the first part. Overall fairly pleased - and by that i mean i think i may have scraped my 40% :D

Maths and Irish today, was it? :P
    overall I'm pleased with maths, feeling more confident than the mocks which I got 41% in so fingers crossed I've passed :D
    The paper was surprisingly grand except that question 9 at the end, I'll have nightmares about it yet :-/
    Not much to say really, happy :)

I went into Irish today without even glancing at an essay :pac: so not knowing what to expect, I sat down for the tape. Wow <3 I'm so bad at tape usually and this one was so nice and so clear I got a good answer for 99% of the questions :D
    Then I saw the diospoireacht on education and nearly cried, its the only essay I ever half learned, did it for the mocks. Flaked out a 550+ word essay and included "a mholtoiri" and daoine uaisle a few times, wrote 4 pages on the evil in the education system and was out the door at ten to three :D

Irish and biology tomorrow, unfortunately irish will be severely neglected. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement