Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat a game from your backlog this February: March Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

5 years ago I bought a game, I fell in love with it and played it obsessively, I never ventured onto Multiplayer because I had crap and unstable internet back then but I invested many hours into single player games against the AI. My boy was just barely a toddler back then.

Fast forward to 2013 and for various reasons I've not been playing this game or its expansions, but because of my love of the original I've been buying the expansions anyway with the view that the time will come and I'll be want to play them.

My son is now six, obsessed with war, strategy and so on and was begging me to play a complicated game so he could watch me play. I considered Shogun Total War 2 (he loves the turn based iPad spin-off version of this game) and Civ V (he plays Civ Rev on the iPad somehow despite not being able to read properly yet) but I thought back remembered this game from so long ago and the expansions that have lain dormant in my Steam account for so long and tried the game out for him and he loved it and has spent the last two days bugging me with questions about the strategies involved in space combat (he's gotten his head around the whole rock-paper-scissors aspect of RTS games from playing Shogun Total War Battles on the iPad).

So, the goal for the month (somehow because Sim City is coming out and I finally got off my ass and ordered XCOM) is to beat the AI in Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion at Hard or better. Preferably better since I used to beat Hard quite easily in the original. There's no single player campaign or anything like that, just the equivalent of "Skirmish vs AI" from traditional RTS games. It's a RTS/4x hybrid which makes it rather interesting. The AI has apparently been improved, which is nice. The game is also a good deal more complicated. So, a lot of playing Sins whilst giving a running commentary and fielding questions for my son for the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Borrowed Need For Speed: The Run last night. Finished it today. It wasn't on my To Beat list, but I'm adding it in now anyways :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Currently looking to finish Gears of War 3, Portal 2 and Black ops 1. The latter two are on the gamestop trade list so will try to get through them this week and then I have the Gears 3 dlc to play too. And by that stage I'll have Tomb raider and dead space 3 to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Feb - finished Hitman
    March - started Batman: AC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Never got round to starting Stalker: Call of Pripyat last month, as the Misery mod wasn't working. I'll try again when version 2 of that is released.

I started playing Morrowind again lately, so I'll finish the main quest and a few guilds in that before moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I'm going to try to finally finish Crysis. I'm about half way through I think. Then hopefully Half Life Episode 2. The problem is Tomb Raider and Starcraft Heart of the Swarm will be arriving soon....

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Started MGR:R last month and poor old Borderlands 2 has fallen by the wayside so I guess I'll try to get back to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

back to dungeon defenders for me it seems... need to finish strike suit zero aswell, havent gotten round to the last level yet

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Finished "The Walking Dead" yesterday. Going to attempt Assassin's Creed this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm currently playing Pandora's Tower on the Wii. I've done the first 9 towers and I'm really enjoying it - the chain is a fun weapon to play with. It seems fairly short so I expect to have it finished well before the end of March.

I'll be starting Radiant Historia after that, which I'm less sure about finishing on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

elekid wrote: »
    I'm currently playing Pandora's Tower on the Wii. I've done the first 9 towers and I'm really enjoying it - the chain is a fun weapon to play with. It seems fairly short so I expect to have it finished well before the end of March.

I'll be starting Radiant Historia after that, which I'm less sure about finishing on time.
    Currently halfway through Radiant Historia, I'm finding it very enjoyable! One of the best JRPG's I've played in years, although I haven't got my hands on Ni no Kuni yet.

Back on topic, my aim for the month is to finish Radiant Historia. Maybe try and start DQ IX once I'm finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Metro!!! Titan quest going to be a huge time sink for months.
    Looks like this wins! Stuck a few hours into it tonight, it's quite a decent game. Not creepy, but interesting!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Finally started Rage last night. Odd, there are times when it looks amazing and then really really fuzzy. Also, how many times do you need to shoot a guy in the head to take'em down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Finally started Rage last night. Odd, there are times when it looks amazing and then really really fuzzy. Also, how many times do you need to shoot a guy in the head to take'em down?

PC or console? Never noticed on the 360. I finished it last week and really enjoyed it. Got the dlc and its great value for 400 points and has more of an 'end boss' than the main story, altho that didnt annoy me as much as some people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Playing it on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭miser44

Feb: Completed Far Cry 3
    March: Just completed Uncharted there, didnt have left of the game to do.

Hopefully start and complete Batman Arkham Asylum and them move onto
    Batman Arkham City, Should be a fun month

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I got Crysis done last night. Waiting for Tomb Raider to arrive and I'll just play that before Starcraft. Maybe I'll give Metal Gear Solid Rising a go while I'm waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Falthyron wrote: »
    Gonna try for the following:

Bioshock 1 (I know, I know... :P)
    The Cave
    Bastion
    Sniper Elite V2
    L.A. Noire

and if I have some time left over; Company of Heroes expansion packs.

Sniper Elite V2 finished. Enjoyable enough, but generally a write off in everything bar the x-ray kill cam. Very satisfying when you get a great shot from 300m+

About half way through Bastion, so will probably finish that next and then The Cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Dead Space. Did not find it scary first time around so stopped playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Playing Torchlight 2 again, got to level 15 or so when it was first released but the game just didn't stick. Hit level 8 on a new character today and i'm already bored of it :(

God of War is out this month about the 15th so i reckon i will finish that by the end of the month. I wish i didn't have money so i could buy a game every 6 months and play the hell out of it instead of jumping back and forth between 500 million games :mad:

First world problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Finished battlefield 3 (very glitchy game) and crysis 1 last night really enjoyed crysis great game. In the middle of mgs 3 and gravity rush on vita. dont know what to do next, avp,uncharted 2/3 or batman ac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

tonydude wrote: »
    Finished battlefield 3 (very glitchy game) and crysis 1 last night really enjoyed crysis great game. In the middle of mgs 3 and gravity rush on vita. dont know what to do next, avp,uncharted 2/3 or batman ac

Hint hint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

tonydude wrote: »

If you don't want to play the 2 games back to back, I'd say Uncharted 2, Batman AC, Uncharted 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

So I finished infamous 2 last night. It was actually my February backlog game. I was planning on playing dead space 2, but I also have Splinter cell Chaos theory and Deus X:HR also sitting there. Any suggestions of the three? (I haven't touch DS2 or Deus X.....splinter cell is 50% of the way through)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

sarumite wrote: »
    So I finished infamous 2 last night. It was actually my February backlog game. I was planning on playing dead space 2, but I also have Splinter cell Chaos theory and Deus X:HR also sitting there. Any suggestions of the three? (I haven't touch DS2 or Deus X.....splinter cell is 50% of the way through)

Finish with sam and get onto deus ex, you wont regret it, what a game. Dead space then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Didn't finish anything in Feb:rolleyes: Started 3 though so will finish at least one in March (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm about half way through Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's been a while since I played a Ratchet game and they are always fun to get back to. I'm playing the game solo so I'm not getting the full experience unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I'm about half way through Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's been a while since I played a Ratchet game and they are always fun to get back to. I'm playing the game solo so I'm not getting the full experience unfortunately.

I am happy to do some online co-op if you like (PSN sarumite). I think my favourite gaming experiences are playing co-op, even if they are not my favourite games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Back log is building! AC3 (stupid side quests), Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider... Bought SimCity and HoTS around the corner = !LIFE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

sarumite wrote: »
    I am happy to do some online co-op if you like (PSN sarumite). I think my favourite gaming experiences are playing co-op, even if they are not my favourite games.

I will add you to my friends list. My PSN id is The40Watt.

If you see me playing it over the next few days feel free to try and hop into the game.

Advertisement