Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat a game from your backlog this February: March Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just finished Medal of Honor Warfighter and have to say I found it to be surprisingly decent. Shooting mechanics were solid, the driving sections were awesome and I was taken back by the graphics in the "home" scenes. Story was a bit hard to follow but came together in the last few missions. I know that the awful review scores it got put me off originally playing it but I definitely don't think it deserved some of the scores it got. Easily a 7 or 8/10 in my book.

Next up is Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Last month: Finished Far Cry 3.
    This month: The goal is to finish Bully on the 360. Started it last weekend. About 1/3 of the way there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just finished up Metro 2033. Not bad tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Completed Resonance. OK adventure game. It started well, but I lost interest (and direction) when it switched to controlling 4 characters at once.

Now... what next?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

I need to finish off Elder scrolls Oblivion(I know!)

Far Cry 3, that could take a while.

AC 1 needs to be finished so I can start playing the rest of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Finished Dead Space last month and started playing Borderlads 1 for this month , finished that last night.

Not sure if I'll play Far Cry 3 or AC 3 next :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Had played most of this in Janary but technically finished it in February
    Rochard
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Anarchy Reigns
    Metal Gear Solid 4 (Currently on Act 5 and building up the will to face the finale with its enevitable overly long cutscene)

Which will lead me quite nicely into Metal Gear Revengence.

I'd like to add FTL to that list but 16hrs in and I still haven't managed to beat the Flagship of the rebel scum. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Far Cry 3
    Crysis 3
    DMC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I was playing more of Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One last night and tried the online co-op. It is a blast. At least it is when the connection is stable. I was having a lot of fun while in 4-player matches but each time the connection dropped before the end of the level. So in the end you are just left with frustration.

So while I'm clearing this game from my backlog I added three titles to it yesterday - The God of War Collection, 3D Dot Game Hero and Motorstorm Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

Plan on completing Suikoden Tactics for the PS2 this month and continue on with Skyrim, kinda bored with it now though. :/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Falthyron wrote: »
    Gonna try for the following:

Bioshock 1 (I know, I know... :P)
    The Cave
    Bastion
    Sniper Elite V2
    L.A. Noire

and if I have some time left over; Company of Heroes expansion packs.

The Cave, finished. So, now on to the Company of Heroes expansions as I hear the COH2 beta will be out soon and I have already pre-ordered it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭blackwave

Disgaea DS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Well with Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm out, Dark souls will be taking the back seat. I didn't even get very far in it at all, couldn't beat the Tauras Demon. Easily the hardest single player I've played since Ninja Gaiden on the xbox

I finished Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One last night. I find the Ratchet games easily the most charming and fun 3D platform games in this console generation. While I don't think A4O is the best of the series (that accolade goes to A Crack in Time) it is still a very good game. It is particularly fun when played in co-op as it is meant to be played.

I was even tempted to Platinum the game but then I realised that the trophy for collecting 1 million bolts is insane because the total isn't cumulative over the whole game. You need 1 million bolts on hand to unlock the trophy.

The one criticism I would have of the game is the length. It must be a 12-15 hour game which is fine in theory but I think there is some artificial padding going on in later levels. Towards the end you are constantly put up against wave after wave of enemies, an endless stream of them it appears at some stages. The combat in Ratchet games is great but by the end you have such powerful weapons that the enemies are no danger. It is just the shear number of them and the limited amount of ammo. If you plan your strategy wrong you will run out of effective ammo and have to restart.

On the whole great game with the usual comic touches and great graphics that the series is known for.

Now should I play Dragon's Dogma next?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I beat Chrono Trigger so that's out ofthe way. The others I'm playing might not be so easy to finish, perhaps I'll beat Crimson Shroud and Thief 2 but I'm playing too many games at the same time. I'm only scratching the surface of Final Fantasy 2 and Riviera. The tides are turning in X-Com, I have heavy plasma weaponry but the aliens have upped their game as well with their own heavy plasma weapons and the launchers which are like miniature nukes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

As I mentioned in the other thread I finished RDR only today so while it was meant for Feb, it now belong to March.
    Next on my list is to finish Catherine (another failed Feb attempt) and start on Uncharted 3.

Still haven't finished Catherine but completed uncharted last night. Nice to complete the trilogy finally as I played the other two ages ago. Really do like that series.

Next on my list is GoW IV, due to the fact I recently completed the first 3 and also because it's new and shiny!

The above had to be changed as I started playing the new Tomb Raider and got sucked into it. Actually don't think I'm too far from the end but I'm really loving it. It reminds me of love child from Far Cry 3 and Uncharted and all the goodness that brings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I started Metal Gear Rising Revengeance last night, so I'm going to try and stick with that until I beat it. It's great fun so far and the graphics look excellent. I'm a divil for game hopping. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is also on the list.

I started Dragon's Dogma last night and played a bit more tonight. I'm really not feeling it though. I've seen a few threads on it recently on another forum that are really praising the game. I guess that i need to invest more time in it but with my gaming time limited these days I really want to maximise the fun I can have.

I think I will switch to either God of War 1 HD or Jak & Daxter 1 HD. I haven't played either before. Which would you recommend?

Well I certainly got Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm campaign out of the way quickly.

Much shorter than the original. Technically there is the same number of missions but I'm not counting the evolution tutorial missions whatsoever. It is far to easy as well. I beat all the levels on the hardest difficulty setting bar one. I think they were trying to hammer home that the nature of the zerg is overwhelm your opponents. Building a ton of units and over running everything just isn't hard at all though. Very little precision micro required at all, if any. I am a bit of a veteran at SC2 though. Last missions got even easier with Kerrigans ridiculously overpowered abilities, one of which spawns an entire army from the ski... you can almost beat the last few level with her alone.

The missions do vary like the original which keeps it interesting. The new evolutions for each unit keep it fresh too.

The storyline is the usual rubbish from Blizzard theses day. The whole premise is a love story and apparently Kerrigan is hell bent on revenge. It didn't do it for me at all. She doesn't seem like a real character at all. She comes out with cliché one liners non-stop. Her abraisive nature cuts short any conversations which could get interesting. You hear some people calling for blizzard to make a feature length film. I say they shouldn't embarrass themselves. They make fantastic visuals for cut-scenes but that's about it. The supporting cast were decent. Especially the creature in the evolution chamber and the return of Stukov from brood war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Super Mario Bros 3 finished, I can see why I never finished it in my youth, some frustratingly tough levels towards the end (hated those cannon levels with a passion) so a good sense of achievement to finally beat it

Still going with Far Cry 3 and Chrono Trigger and making good progress with both. Due to start Xenogears and the original Super Metroid (which I've never played :o) soon as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Still haven't finished Catherine but completed uncharted last night. Nice to complete the trilogy finally as I played the other two ages ago. Really do like that series.

Next on my list is GoW IV, due to the fact I recently completed the first 3 and also because it's new and shiny!

The above had to be changed as I started playing the new Tomb Raider and got sucked into it. Actually don't think I'm too far from the end but I'm really loving it. It reminds me of love child from Far Cry 3 and Uncharted and all the goodness that brings!

Finished Tomb Raider last night after really enjoying it and not wanting it to end.

Next on the list is GoW IV as I had originally planned :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I beat Ikachan which is a great underwater metroid type game that is just a little bit too short. I sat down for a short game and was surprised when I had reached the end.

I also beat X-Com UFO Defense which is one of the ebst games I've ever played.

So currently playing Adventure Time, FF2, Riviera, Thief 2 and PSO. I'll have Adventure Time beaten soon I'd so but not much hope for the others.

FTL finally cleared at the weekend. \o/

Revengence is currently being played.

Also managed to get the US Import version of 3D Dot Game Heroes recently so that'll probably get started after MGR.

gizmo wrote: »
    FTL finally cleared at the weekend. \o/

Revengence is currently being played.

Also managed to get the US Import version of 3D Dot Game Heroes recently so that'll probably get started after MGR.

I'm gonna have to give that another bash. Died twice at the end boss. Even on easy its hard. Fantastic game

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to give that another bash. Died twice at the end boss. Even on easy its hard. Fantastic game
    I certainly recommend it. Their Easy is like an older Normal so it still provides a bit of a challenge. It being a Rogue-like though means that it's always going to be bit random as to how well you do.

I was tempted to go through a Normal playthrough but to be honest, 23hrs is enough and my backlog isn't getting any smaller. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Got my two done this weekend... got the last few achievements in dungeon defenders and finished strikesuit zero

Well I tried to play Jak & Daxter 1 but it was giving me motion sickness. It was the way the camera controls that made me feel that way. Do I've had to rule out that while HD collection.

I did finish God of War HD, which as I've said in another thread was amazing.

I think next up I will play another Ratchet game, Q-Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Right thats six nations and paddies weekend out of the way, really hope to sit down this weekend and make a go of finishing either darksiders 2, borderlands 2 or mark of the ninja, however just picked up NFS most wanted as my free simcity game as well as having simcity always sitting staring at me...... damn the choices, damn them to hell.
    Oh and saints row 3 is on a massive steam sale too.....

gizmo wrote: »
    I certainly recommend it. Their Easy is like an older Normal so it still provides a bit of a challenge. It being a Rogue-like though means that it's always going to be bit random as to how well you do.

I was tempted to go through a Normal playthrough but to be honest, 23hrs is enough and my backlog isn't getting any smaller. :)

Got around over half way across the galaxy and died. I slowy got battered over 2 regions by solar flares without finding any store to repair and had no repair based weapons. I felt like there was nothing I could do. I had cloak and level 3 shields and still died easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Playing Metroid Prime for the Gamecube. Really enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would, doesn't look too bad for a game that 11 years old either.

Nice and tough for my liking.

Advertisement