Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soon it will be possible to steal a police station.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭lockon...

apache wrote: »
    ring them and see how many is open! they are not manned all day. you are looking at the internet and getting all your information from there?
    @ lockon.

^^^
    smugness alert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

lockon... wrote: »
    ^^^
    smugness alert
    common sense alert and an educated opinion. don't believe everything you read on the internet. this is what causes hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Without a doubt, the best thread title on boards I have seen in a while, so true :pac::pac:

"You're under arrest. See how you like spending a night in the glove compartment."

If I could thank that poster twice I would, brilliant! :pac: Thanks for making me laugh so much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

lockon... wrote: »
    Seems like a great idea.

We have persisted with the high number of Garda Stations in this country and it's just nuts. It's a legacy from the RIC days when the British wanted to quell the Irish. There's nearly 50 Garda Stations in Donegal!!! Gardaí behind a desk do focking nothing.

The large number of stations is definitely an anachronism and nothing at all to do with the organisation and management of a modern, effective police force.

Garda officers behind a desk are not doing nothing. For every Garda out preventing and detecting crime, there are probably three or four performing basic functions that could be done more efficiently by civilians as well as better use of technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

zenno wrote: »
    Even if I made this up and said to people that the new garda stations would be on wheels in the future, no one would believe me.

A fine looking ban garda i must say, but she has that eye about her as if she's going to give shatter a rolling stones...

that ban garda's an actress, she played darren's sister in love/hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I've a vision of a locked up Fiat van with a "Back in 5 mins" sign taped to the door. What do you do when you need a pee? Nip behind the bushes? Or maybe they will be expected to just "hold it". Not so much keepers of the peace...

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    No-one laughed at the mobile library and mobile shop when they were around!

There used to be mobile banks as well, never heard of one being hijacked but then again we are in different times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Won't these vans be in breach of the Equal Status Act?.

They don't look like they'll be accessible to wheelchair users, and others with mobility difficulties.

Darth.

Darthvadar wrote: »
    Won't these vans be in breach of the Equal Status Act?.

They don't look like they'll be accessible to wheelchair users, and others with mobility difficulties.

Darth.
    They can fit a Hiab.

• Advertisement

Dwork wrote: »
    They can fit a Hiab.

Probably could, but have they got the space?. :D

Darth.

Darthvadar wrote: »
    Probably could, but have they got the space?. :D

Darth.
    They are like Tardises, nothing beats a good old Police box. Massive they are, on the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It dosn't matter where they are or whether or not they have wheels if the attitude of the guards inside them remains " I couldn't be arsed" as it seems to be about many things they consider too much effort or not worth their while to bother about.

They are like Tardises, nothing beats a good old Police box. Massive they are, on the inside.

That you Dr Who???. :D

Darth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Senna wrote: »
    We used to have paddy wagons, now we'll have Wanderly Wagons.

My son asked me last night to bring home a "Daddy" Naggin of Vodka for his girlfriend as they were going to a party .... I went into Supervalu and asked for a "Paddy" Naggin .... it was a hilarious conversation ...

Eden3 wrote: »
    My son asked me last night to bring home a "Daddy" Naggin of Vodka for his girlfriend as they were going to a party .... I went into Supervalu and asked for a "Paddy" Naggin .... it was a hilarious conversation ...
    you probably had to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

No-one laughed at the mobile library and mobile shop when they were around!

I beg to differ.....I laughed long and hard at the mobile library and those who dwelt within her

I just couldn't respect it....I've been in some great libraries in my time.....imposing libraries, libraries with magnificent stonework, grand facades, intricate carvings on the bookshelves, original prints of the classics, signed copies of some of the greatest literary achievements of modern times etc etc

oh how I scoffed and guffawed when that twenty year old converted horsebox rolled into town with nary an original copy of the new big noddy book by enid blyton.

Tisserand wrote: »
    There used to be mobile banks as well, never heard of one being hijacked but then again we are in different times

Massive bank hijackings have been in the news headlines every week since 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Massive bank hijackings have been in the news headlines every week since 2008.

Is that not cash in transit you're thinking of? Don't think the mobile banks have been around for donkey's years - I'd forgotten about them! Having been reminded about them, it really is remarkable that they weren't done more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Eden3 wrote: »
    you probably had to be there.

I'm glad I wasn't...

Is that not cash in transit you're thinking of? Don't think the mobile banks have been around for donkey's years - I'd forgotten about them! Having been reminded about them, it really is remarkable that they weren't done more often.

I was thinking more of this: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

No, they were actually providing banking facilities. I used to work in one of the big banks one time and I remember staff being dispatched on them to various towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

"Take 'em down to the station, lads!"

"But we're already here...:confused:"

More like "Bring the station up to em lads!"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murchadh

Went to a Garda station on Friday to have my signature of consent on my daughters passport application witnessed by a Garda. Garda at the desk said that he couldn't do it without the childs mother being present.

Got my bank manager to do it instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what's wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

has to be a Healy-Rae idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I just won't bother taxing my car if this comes true.

Advertisement