Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pistol licence

Options
  • 02-03-2013 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Been humming and hawing about how to put this,

I submitted my pistol application, and received a letter a few weeks later responding saying it with wording to the effect, it will be responded to in up to 3 months,
    I dont really recall getting that 3 months letter with one of my .22 rifle applications, in fact one of those letters arrived at the same time as the letter granting the licence.
    I understand the granting of a licence for a .22 pistol is different to that for a rifle, but Im already beginning to wonder will they allow it, I consider I meet all the conditions, and without good reason not to allow it,
    Im pre-empting this by preparing myself for what would be the correct response in advance so Im not unprepared.

Is a 3 month waiting time normal?
    feeling concerned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's a standard letter, it just means the application's been received. I've always gotten one for my licences, even when I got the approval letter the next day. Don't worry yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 charlie haughey

its a good sign ball is in motion at least ur app isnt misplaced.i got one 3 days after sending in app.3 months after from that date i got the grant letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yes, a 3 month waiting period applies for any gun but usually they process them quicker. For some reason, pistol applications often tend to take the full three months.

I wouldn't worry at this stage. Occasionally you might have the FO come back to you for more information regarding your application but the ball is rolling now. Best of luck with the pistol when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

sungear wrote: »
    Been humming and hawing about how to put this,

I submitted my pistol application, and received a letter a few weeks later responding saying it with wording to the effect, it will be responded to in up to 3 months,
    I dont really recall getting that 3 months letter with one of my .22 rifle applications, in fact one of those letters arrived at the same time as the letter granting the licence.
    I understand the granting of a licence for a .22 pistol is different to that for a rifle, but Im already beginning to wonder will they allow it, I consider I meet all the conditions, and without good reason not to allow it,
    Im pre-empting this by preparing myself for what would be the correct response in advance so Im not unprepared.

Is a 3 month waiting time normal?
    feeling concerned

You should be concerned but its not unique if a decision has not been communicated to you at he end of 3 months. If a decision is or is not communicated 1 month after the 3 have expired that is an automatic refusal. Personally I would'nt entertain some of he BS you get about "oh it's just on my desk" and Ah don't worry that's going through". If you don't get a reply get your Solicitor to write in your behalf. They (Super and CS's) hate this as they have to reply in writing and dont fob off Legal Consul as easy as us.
    Just my own experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

knockon wrote: »
    You should be concerned but its not unique if a decision has not been communicated to you at he end of 3 months. If a decision is or is not communicated 1 month after the 3 have expired that is an automatic refusal. Personally I would'nt entertain some of he BS you get about "oh it's just on my desk" and Ah don't worry that's going through". If you don't get a reply get your Solicitor to write in your behalf. They (Super and CS's) hate this as they have to reply in writing and dont fob off Legal Consul as easy as us.
    Just my own experience.

I guess Im just think the worst, the application is only in a few weeks.
    But Im pre-empting any response that doesnt grant it as I tick all the boxes as much as anyone else.
    If it goes to 3 months, I'll definitely come back for advice, to take the appropriate steps, with the plan to follow up immediately. In the meantime, fingers crossed.
    Id prefer it wasnt dragged along, or that I'm fobbed off, with me in the end to have to go and then pay someone to get an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

My first licence took 9 months second 6 weeks third 5 months and my fourth has been going on since October i have a meeting tomorrow so will know the answer then.
    I have spent more on security than most have on all their firearms and tick all the boxes. It can take them time they don't have the man power etc.. i would'nt go getting a solicitor unless i received a letter stating it was a refusal some times they will fob you off etc.. but they are very busy have no money don't get paid for the overtime and the firearms licences are on the bottom of the list of priorities. It may be very important to you but they really don't care wether you get it on time or at all.
    So just wait and if you are going to ring them to find out what is going on with your application ring your district office where your super is based and ask to speak with his secretary ask her would she be able to tell you how far along your application is etc.. any time i do this she has a look rings me back tells me what the story is. If you are nice and polite she might even leave it back on the top of the pile.;)
    I never bother dealing with the lads in my local station anymore because i just get the run around conflicting stories people never ringing back when they say they will etc.. All understandable but very frustrating. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

9months??
    That was quick!!:rolleyes: I think I still hold the record for 2years and six months from way back when here in 06.:D

As for being fobbed off the Supers office is pretty good at that game too.
    When mine was granted by a DC,the CS tried all sorts of hoops and loops to get out of not granting it..Trying to take it to the Circut court was another stunt they pulled.:rolleyes:

Then about 9weeks later they issued it..All the same excuses,"Its on the cheifs desk." "He's away", "will deal with it by,start/middle/end of the week". I reckon if I check my files I must have logged over 60 calls to his office ,until it arrived in my mail.:mad:My solicitor must have logged about the same.

And then they wonder why they are losing the public and their rank&file's trust???:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

juice1304 wrote: »
    My first licence took 9 months second 6 weeks third 5 months and my fourth has been going on since October i have a meeting tomorrow so will know the answer then.
    I have spent more on security than most have on all their firearms and tick all the boxes. It can take them time they don't have the man power etc.. i would'nt go getting a solicitor unless i received a letter stating it was a refusal some times they will fob you off etc.. but they are very busy have no money don't get paid for the overtime and the firearms licences are on the bottom of the list of priorities. It may be very important to you but they really don't care wether you get it on time or at all.
    So just wait and if you are going to ring them to find out what is going on with your application ring your district office where your super is based and ask to speak with his secretary ask her would she be able to tell you how far along your application is etc.. any time i do this she has a look rings me back tells me what the story is. If you are nice and polite she might even leave it back on the top of the pile.;)
    I never bother dealing with the lads in my local station anymore because i just get the run around conflicting stories people never ringing back when they say they will etc.. All understandable but very frustrating. :)

Thats the kind of advice I was looking for, Im not going to start bothering them on the phone, and Im not going to ring them yet or for a while, I'm going to wait and see, but Im hoping they will/can be reasonably proficient about it?
    I know manpower is an issue and my application is not at the top of the list of priorities let alone applications probably.
    I'm sure in practice its not just as simple as check your particulars and rubber stamp the whole thing, but Im not sure why it shouldnt be.

knockon wrote: »
    . Personally I would'nt entertain some of he BS you get about "oh it's just on my desk" and Ah don't worry that's going through". If you don't get a reply get your Solicitor to write in your behalf. They (Super and CS's) hate this as they have to reply in writing and dont fob off Legal Consul as easy as us.

In this instance, the application isn't sitting on someone's desk with nothing being done.

Because you have received a letter stating that they have received your application, then the wheels are in motion. It clearly isn't in your local station waiting to be sent to the Super. As the law states that the Super has 3 months to make a decision, no point in hassling him within the three month timeframe.

To be honest, not every application is processed within the three months. Strictly speaking, if you don't receive word within three months, then your application is deemed to be refused. That said, I myself have had applications that went on longer than that. There isn't an overabundance of Gardai to process these applications and they are dealing with a huge backlog and that might be the reason if you don't get your licence within 3 months.

I wouldn't make any phone calls until the three months are nearly up.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    In this instance, the application isn't sitting on someone's desk with nothing being done.

Because you have received a letter stating that they have received your application, then the wheels are in motion. It clearly isn't in your local station waiting to be sent to the Super. As the law states that the Super has 3 months to make a decision, no point in hassling him within the three month timeframe.

To be honest, not every application is processed within the three months. Strictly speaking, if you don't receive word within three months, then your application is deemed to be refused. That said, I myself have had applications that went on longer than that. There isn't an overabundance of Gardai to process these applications and they are dealing with a huge backlog and that might be the reason if you don't get your licence within 3 months.

I wouldn't make any phone calls until the three months are nearly up.

I agree, I wont be making any calls until its nearly 3 months, if it goes that long, which hopefully it wont. Its just my previous .22 applications only took a few weeks :)

• Advertisement

I agree, I wont be making any calls until its nearly 3 months, if it goes that long, which hopefully it wont. Its just my previous .22 applications only took a few weeks :)

Ah yeah, rifle applications tend to be quicker alright but from my own experience and yapping to lads in the club, pistol applications nearly always take longer.

Well 3 months are nearly up and without any sign of anything I rang up and spoke to the FO, was told it was probably still on the supers desk as I had said I received my receipt stating that the information was received.

Thats a few days ago now, but I didnt get any sense of an idea when it might be processed.
    I am planning on leaving it another 2 weeks week or so as that will be around the 3 month timeframe, and then do some of the below??

I am wondering can I contact the Firearms policy unit for advice, I've read in another thread that there is no actual position of FO, so should I make contact with the district station directly asking to arrange to speak to the Super or his secretary? or send them a letter just to request making an enquiry about my licence application and offer to arrange to go to meet them if needed (maybe registered) or is this just going to get their backs up?
    Who do I direct such a letter to? The Superintendent? or their secretary?
    If making a phone call, should I ask for the secretary?

I dont want to end up having to go the legal route, partly as I dont want to waste the money on it (not sure how much it would cost to go the district court? or how long it would take if it turns out Im declined) but if I have to I cannot see what other option I have.
    I dont see what other is wrong with applications taking so long with no answer, I have completed the application, am a member of a club, have other licences already, have included a list of relevant details showing proficiency and obviously I have no criminal record or criminal intent??

After talking to the FO, I felt from it that there was no relevance or point to my enquiry and it didnt seem they would follow it up, but its hard to know. I feel I should probably start drafting a letter to the Superintendant? in the district station.

Is it worth approaching the NASRPC? who would I direct an enquiry to? I see there is a contact box on the website and a general email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Well 3 months are nearly up and without any sign of anything I rang up and spoke to the FO, was told it was probably still on the supers desk as I had said I received my receipt stating that the information was received.

Thats a few days ago now, but I didnt get any sense of an idea when it might be processed.
    I am planning on leaving it another 2 weeks and then do some of the below??

I am wondering can I contact the Firearms policy unit for advice, I've read in another thread that there is no actual position of FO, so should I make contact with the district station directly asking to arrange to speak to the Super or his secretary? or send them a letter just to request making an enquiry about my licence application and offer to arrange to go to meet them if needed (maybe registered) or is this just going to get their backs up?

I dont want to end up having to go the legal route, partly as I dont want to waste the money on it (not sure how much it would cost to go the district court? or how long it would take if it turns out Im declined) but if I have to I cannot see what other option I have.
    I dont see what other is wrong with applications taking so long with no answer, I have completed the application, am a member of a club, included a list of details showing proficiency and I have no criminal record or criminal intent??

After talking to the FO, I felt from it that there was no relevance or point to my enquiry and it didnt seem they would follow it up, but its hard to know. I feel I should probably start drafting a letter to the Superintendant? in the district station.

Is it worth approaching the NASRPC? who would I direct an enquiry to? I see there is a contact box on the website and a general email.

3 months to make a decision so still within that time frame. No harm in calling the supers secretary in your district HQ and making a friendly enquiry, this can often get the ball moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Definitely contact the super or his secretary first; then the FPU, possibly through your NGB; I wouldn't even think of the legal routes until after at least those two options were tried.

bravestar wrote: »
    3 months to make a decision so still within that time frame. No harm in calling the supers secretary in your district HQ and making a friendly enquiry, this can often get the ball moving again.

:) thanks for the prompt reply, it gives me hope
    Getting a bit frustrated and confounded, I think I will leave it a week to give the FO time to contact the district station and be answered and then failing any answer or enquiry to me regarding it, make a call to the Superintendents secretary, so a few days after the long weekend.

Failing any answer to that, I'll post my enquiry by registered letter.

No one has made any effort to contact me to look at my security due to the application being for a pistol.
    I have spoken to people involved in shooting and its been suggested that its almost how applications are dealt with to deflect applicants, ie ignore ignore decline.

Could the NASRPC be any help in this regarding advice or do they stay away from applications.

Sparks wrote: »
    Definitely contact the super or his secretary first; then the FPU, possibly through your NGB; I wouldn't even think of the legal routes until after at least those two options were tried.

Apologies if this sounds silly, but NGB?
    edit excuse, didnt twig what NGB was
    Im not sure who to contact, I'll start looking into it and make an enquiry through the club who would be good to approach.
    I assumed the Gardai would approach the club and make an enquiry if I was a well known regular attendee/participant of the club in good standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Hi Sungear,

I dont believe you need to speak to any NGB or the Firearms Policy Unit, I think a call to the Supers Secretary is the best course of action for now.

thanks for the reply
    I will follow up next week with the Super's Secretary.

Ringing the Super's secretary is the best advice here. A polite "How's my application progressing, I haven't heard anything for almost three months" will go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Off Topic a little

In the States i went in put deposit down,waited 3 days for I.C.E clearance and went in and picked up my new XD40 V10 Ported.If i had done my Carry permit i could of gone in and brought one straight away.Anything i wanted even a .50cal.

• Advertisement

Palmy wrote: »
    Off Topic a little

In the States i went in put deposit down,waited 3 days for I.C.E clearance and went in and picked up my new XD40 V10 Ported.If i had done my Carry permit i could of gone in and brought one straight away.Anything i wanted even a .50cal.

Different laws here though.

Our laws must seem very restrictive to you eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

thanks for the reply
    I will follow up next week with the Super's Secretary.

And at the same time ask for an appointment to see the Super about your application. This will usually put the 'hurry up' on things.

Advertisement