Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android App UI Advise. Screenshots Included

• 02-03-2013 2:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi,

EDIT: spelled advice wrong sorry

I'm working on an tablet-only Android app at the moment as part of a project. I really want to make the UI look nice. I have a strange love for beautiful apps and I've seen far too many awful ones on Android. However, I'm far from a graphic designer and while I can appreciate good design, I'm not very good at making it.

The app is aimed at secondary, maybe primary school students. I put together a "skeuomorphic" look but my supervisor said he thinks there's maybe a bit too many different elements on the screen, which I can see myself now.

Problem is though I don't have a better design to implement in it's place. I don't really want to go back to standard white background, black standard text for everything. It's too boring to read and this particular app needs to display a fair amount of information on the screen.

So basically I've attached a load of screenshots of the main screens and what I have at the moment. Any advice, suggestions, criticisms, links, articles, resources etc. would be very much appreciated.

Here's the screenshots

Thanks in advance :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The first problem I see with it is that there is very little consistency, you have a several different visual metaphors and its a bit all over the place. Skeumorphism isnt just about familiarity but consistency. I'm not much of a fan of skeumorphic design, but even design in general needs a consistant rhythm. For example you have a book element and overlayed on top of it is a blue box. I do like the fact that you have a handwritten font on the notepad and page elements, it's a bit hard to read but its a nice touch.

The logo itself is a bit too large for the nav bar, mabye scale it down at fill in the logo

In a few places on that grey background you have grey text and buttons, make them a bit more prominent.

Functionally it looks all there, it just needs to be refined a bit. Take a look at this article for some pointers & examples on skeumorphism. Hope I wasnt too harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

First off: I am neither right nor wrong, but these are my initial thoughts.

You might think I'm mad - but initial thought is you're using an Apple background for Android only App, it's interesting but seems off. It's a background that comes with a lot of baggage, both good and bad - people expect certain things with these elements.

I like the colour scheme, but it gets inconsistent when adding more elements, they don't fit as well. A lot of things look okay on their own but together not as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

No no harsh is good. Yeah I definitely need more consistency. Some sort of unified style or "brand". So hard to do though.

I think one of my problems is that I tend to come up with the UI as I code rather than designing it independent of the technical stuff. I need to sit down with a box of colouring pencils and go through it all :pac: Thanks for the link too.
    solarith wrote: »
    First off: I am neither right nor wrong, but these are my initial thoughts.

You might think I'm mad - but initial thought is you're using an Apple background for Android only App, it's interesting but seems off. It's a background that comes with a lot of baggage, both good and bad - people expect certain things with these elements.

I like the colour scheme, but it gets inconsistent when adding more elements, they don't fit as well. A lot of things look okay on their own but together not as much.

Yeah it is the Apple background! I found it somewhere and didn't realise until a friend pointed it out. I intend on changing it to something similar but non-Apple.

Yeah I think the screen is definitely getting cluttered with the different elements. Designing a nice, unified style should help this.

Thanks for the comments

Advertisement