Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maumturks Challenge 2013

Options
  • 02-03-2013 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭

Anybody doing this this year or have done it in the past?

Is it really as gruelling as they say;)

Any tips for someone attempting for the 1st time.

Thanks in advance:D

Im doing it this April & cant wait:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm doing it for the first time this year, but with a group of people who've done it before, some more than once. Although I'm a pretty hardened hillwalker, I'm still doing some training walks to get used to the distance and height gain ... climbed Lug 3 times and 3 different ways last w/e for example! I'm also going there on St. Patrick's w/e to do a recce by walking it over 2 days just so as I know what to expect.

See you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Im doing it with a group of 4 myself but none of us have ever done it before..

We wont be getting a chance to recon beforehand sadly but just make sure to have our maps well marked with the route..

I see the online applicants are full up so we shall just be queing on the morning of 13th to register instead..

I cant wait im walking 10k ever day but I must try find some more higher hills to practise on than the flatlands of Ashbourne:)

Did 32km and over 2000m of climb yesterday .. legs aching like crazy, but great training, not only physically but mentally too. Having climbed Lug once, via Art's Lough , Clohernagh, Kelly's Lough, Corrigaslegaun and the South Prison we walked all the way down to the Glen of Imaal over Slieve Maan and Ballineddan and the back up to Lug again via Camara Hill. Very character building :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

My only advice would be treat it with respect which you both seem to be doing with your preparation.

THE WEATHER is the thing that can effect it most.
    You could get every type of weather Ireland has to offer in the one day. So it deserves its reputation
    Good navigation skills are a must within your group.

Its a great experience and the sense of satisfaction on getting to Leenane is a good feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I've done it in the past but always from starting Maam end - don't they change direction annually in some recent years? It's not the distance that's the problem, more the rough going underfoot and the steep ascents/ descents. Don't think my knees would be up to it now :) Navigation is easier now in poor visibility with the OS 1:50,000 or Folding Landscape mapping. Used the old half inch maps back in 1978 and they required a certain degree of imagination shall we say in relation to the Maumturks! Still even with better maps, route finding is an important skill in poor weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

davycc wrote: »
    Anybody doing this this year or have done it in the past?

Is it really as gruelling as they say;)

Any tips for someone attempting for the 1st time.

As someone who has never done it, but who has volunteered to act as a checkpoint steward for a few years now, I'd suggest the following:

Navigation: vital - I don't use GPS, but some people pre-load the route into their devices and thus save a lot of time. If you are a committed map-and-compass user like me, you could always do a detailed route card in advance to save time on the day - having your bearings and distances all worked out would be great and though it would take quite a bit of time (since there are so many kinks and short legs), it would be great for a first timer to get the route down on paper (and into their head too...).
    Remember that every walker whould be a competent navigator with map and compass in hand - if only one in your group can navigate, then you must realise that you cannot now split your group as the day evolves - this may be a significant handicap.

Terrain: Depending where you normally walk, the terrain in the Maamturks can surprise - it is rough and rocky, especially in the first half (starting from the Corcóg end), so don't think you'll be whizzing up and down grassy slopes as you would be elsewhere in the country...

Preparation: Get fit! Pre-register if you can in order to save time on the morning. Even if you can't pre-register, see if you can download the application form and fill it out before you arrive in order to save time at the start - you'll still have to join the queue for people who haven't registered, but when you pay your few quid and get your sticker, you won't be trying to fill in details on the bonnet of a car in the dark.

Gear: Choose carefully what you bring and what you leave behind - the weather will influence your decisions. Don't carry too much - don't leave essential stuff behind...

Pace: Keep up a good pace - don't go too fast to keep up with others and don't delay either. Don't waste time at checkpoints, on breaks, with photos etc etc - keep going steadily as best you can with few delays.

Safety: Make sure your mobile is charged and has credit. Make sure the organisers have your mobile number (on your application form). If you leave the walk before the finish, make sure the organisers know where you are. Ideally only leave the walk at Finishes 1, 2 or 3 - if you have to leave by a different route, tell checkpoint staff beforehand if you can. In any case, call Walk Control when you arrive down safely - otherwise all the checkpoint stewards on the hill after the last point at which you were last seen will be held on the hill until you are found...

Enjoy it - I'll keep a few sausages for ya! ;)
    DS

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Did the Galtee Challenge last year while training for a week in the Alps. The challenge used to be part of the Glen of Aherlow walking festival, but not last year. Myself and a friend did it together in just under 10 hours.

Its a 32km jaunt over all 14 summits of the Galtee range, well over 2000m total ascent. Id recommend it for anyone training for the Maamturks. Fantastic training. Very very tough.

More info and a gpx file here.
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1559678

Thanks for all the advise luckily enough 2 of the guys have extensive map & mountain skills so if we need to part ways we can stay in safe pairs..

I have the Harvey Connemara series maps 1:30,000 ordered (hope its the right map lol) so when it comes we can work out the nav pointers..

Im really really looking forward to it now.Should be very character building & equally enjoylable.

Sorry I forgot the Harvey - that should do the job nicely. Just for your amusement, I attach a copy of the old half inch map of the area, this sheet 10 published as late as 1989 (well out of print, so should be no issue of copyright). Worth comparing to the Harvey, just to see how generalised it was. Not quite useless, any map is always better than none, but nearly so:)

Re route itself, if I recall correctly, pay particular attention to the descent to Maumahoge in poor visibility - there's very steep ground on the direct line. The climb from the final deep saddle at the head of Glencraff is tough, keep it in mind and have a little in reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Walked the Art Oneill last Jan fairly comefortably in 11 hours . Using that as a guide what time should it take me to complete the Mamturk.
    Blackvalley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

http://www.simonstewart.ie/Turks/turk_nw.htm

Hope this works .
    This is the best route card you will find . comes from the Man who updated the Maps of Connemara before OSI went modern.

I have used it each time on the challenge and have also spend many days walking sections in different directions.
    NOTE
    The decent into leenane on this is nolonger the recommended route so you will have to check up on that but all the info to the Col of despondency is very relavent

Walked the Art Oneill last Jan fairly comefortably in 11 hours . Using that as a guide what time should it take me to complete the Mamturk.Blackvalley

Don't think you can really compare the two - good bit of road walking on the Art O'Neill and even on hill, tends to be heather and bog rather than rock. But if you can sustain 11 hours walking, you shouldn't have much problem with fitness.

A better comparison might be with the Lug Walk - the Maumturks is approx half the distance but with approx the same amount of ascent - so that's the picture. Lots of steep ascents & descents on rocky terrain for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Done a piece on Challenge Walks In Ireland in 2013 which may be of interest to some. Apparently Maumturks is a very touch challenge.

Can see the piece at: http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/are-we-there-yet-the-2013-guide-to-challenge-walks-in-ireland/

Hoping to do one or two myself this year if time allows!

Would love to hear from anyone who does the Maumturks!

paulocon2 wrote: »
    Done a piece on Challenge Walks In Ireland in 2013 which may be of interest to some. Apparently Maumturks is a very touch challenge.

Can see the piece at: http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/are-we-there-yet-the-2013-guide-to-challenge-walks-in-ireland/

Hoping to do one or two myself this year if time allows!

Would love to hear from anyone who does the Maumturks!

Thanks for the link Paul thats a quality website you got there:cool:

Are you thinking of doing the Maumturks?

Im doing the Mournes oxfam trailbreaker challenge myself too its like Irelands very own "great wall of china":D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

davycc wrote: »
    Thanks for the link Paul thats a quality website you got there:cool:

Are you thinking of doing the Maumturks?

Im doing the Mournes oxfam trailbreaker challenge myself too its like Irelands very own "great wall of china":D

Thanks for the kind words re. the website. Something I've been working on for a while so great to get some positive feedback.

I'd love to do the Maumturks and put a report on the site but I just don't have the time at the moment. Hope to do one or two of the walks that take place during the summer.

Done the Trailtrekker a few years back - we done the 100km option and it was one of the most challenging things I've done but was hugely enjoyable and hugely rewarding.

As regards the wall, it's a fantastic structure. I've walked the whole stretch on a couple of occasions and done a write up for the website which you can see at: http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/the-classic-walks-of-ireland-the-struggle-to-tame-the-mourne-wall/

Will do it again this year at some stage, it's a great test of fitness!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

does any one know where i can download the route to my phone. i am a beginner so i would like to have that safety on the weekend. also i will not be with anyone with experience.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Half thinking of this, did a good few 8 and 9 hours 1500m plus treks across Reeks, Mangertons and Dunkerrons in last couple of months. So want to try 1 or 2 Challenge Walks, this or Mourne 7s, and the Brandon one this summer. Only things is haven't registered so don't fancy the thought of driving from Kerry to Galway only to be disappointed. Plus my wife will have no intention of dropping me off somewhere at 5am, so may need to get hotel in Galway so she can potter around shops for the day while I take the car. How far is start from Galway City?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Half thinking of this, did a good few 8 and 9 hours 1500m plus treks across Reeks, Mangertons and Dunkerrons in last couple of months. So want to try 1 or 2 Challenge Walks, this or Mourne 7s, and the Brandon one this summer. Only things is haven't registered so don't fancy the thought of driving from Kerry to Galway only to be disappointed. Plus my wife will have no intention of dropping me off somewhere at 5am, so may need to get hotel in Galway so she can potter around shops for the day while I take the car. How far is start from Galway City?

It's about 30 miles from the city centre to the start...

Weather forecast doesn't look great ... probable rain, and cloud level likely to mean poor visibility as well :( Re-proofing my waterproofs as we speak :D

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Weather forecast doesn't look great ... probable rain, and cloud level likely to mean poor visibility as well :( Re-proofing my waterproofs as we speak :D

That might mean me folding my cards. Heard it's invariably in poor weather but all the good weeks we've had had raised my interest. Wouldn't rule it out yet, but will keep an eye on forecasts before finalising decision.

Last year saw great weather for it, but yes, it's more often bad than good. Having said that the weather forecasts have been changing almost hourly, and there's a brief lull in the rain forecast for Friday which might hopefully spill over into Saturday, at least for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Timfy

I hope that posting a link to one of my own sites is not against the charter, and if it is then Mods, feel free to remove this.

I run a weather station located in the heart of the Maam valley, at the foot of the Maumturks. It gives current weather conditions here and also shows trends and some forecasting.

DO NOT base potentially life threatening decisions on the data... but it will give you some idea of local conditions.

Culliagh Beg Weather (Non profit volunteer site)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Timfy wrote: »
    I hope that posting a link to one of my own sites is not against the charter, and if it is then Mods, feel free to remove this.

I run a weather station located in the heart of the Maam valley, at the foot of the Maumturks. It gives current weather conditions here and also shows trends and some forecasting.

DO NOT base potentially life threatening decisions on the data... but it will give you some idea of local conditions.

Culliagh Beg Weather (Non profit volunteer site)

Brilliant!!!!! Thanks :)

P.S. I'll wave as I drive past on Friday!

Just a quick question Timfy, I see that you give a (depressingly low!) value for the cloud base on your site. I was interested in how that is measured?

Hi Alun...

Cloud base is extrapolated rather than measured using the following widely used formula

((temp - dewpoint) / 4.4) * 1000

temp and dewpoint in degrees F, gives cloudbase in feet (above ground level, which is how cloud base is normally reported, not sea level). It basically works out the theoretical altitude at which the air becomes saturated, so clouds could start to form. Obviously, it's only a very rough estimate, and doesn't work in all conditions, or for all cloud types.

Sadly today it is all too accurate!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Great, thanks for that. How does the currently reported figure of 188m compare with what you can (or can't!) see out of your front window?

Conditions at ground level very hazy... I can just make out Ben Gorm which is about 2 miles away. Looking across to the Maumturks, which are directly opposite our cottage, above about 200m they are lost in the misty cloud. Conditions are changeable with brief clear spells passing through, but on the whole if you were up there today you probably wouldn't need to take your camera!!!

Thanks for the local weather info very handy to have even though its misty & depressing today lol..

there were 4 in our group originally but now its just 2 of us so hope this goes ok!

I keep thinking Im forgetting something important but sure It will come to me (I hope!)

• Advertisement

The weather station seems to have got stuck at 08.45 :(

Advertisement