Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maumturks Challenge 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 16 quantummess1

Thanks Alun, I would not have made the time I did if it was not for a couple of really good navigators in our group, that are also experienced on the route. If I had needed to navigate it myself, I really don't think I would have managed to get to the check points before cut off. We put in a lot of training to bring us up to the required fitness level, but I would be the first to admit that my navigational skills are basic, and I needed help there. Yes some of the downhill sections were pretty challenging:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gallybander

found it a tough walk, very windy,started at 06.00 and finished at 18.30, good buzz after it though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Here are the stats I have been able to get
    • 137 Finished
    • 8 down at Mam Ean
    • 35 down at Finish 1
    • 6 down at finish 2
    • 1 down to the Inagh Valley

Thanks! That's a relatively large number of people finishing at the lake .. I guess they arrived there a bit later once the bad weather had set in rather than encountering it once already up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I did this with 1 friend & it was a great trip & im looking forward to next year already..

We stayed in B&B near Leenane Friday & I got mild food poisoning from a dodgy chickken tikka sambo bought that day.
    Seeing as we had loads of charity sponsership done I wasnt going to go home without getting mud on my boots..Id hoped to make to escape 2 at least .

Was up all night while my buddy slept like a log...headed to the start point 5ish had to wait for ages while all the pre reged folks got a nice head start on us & the weather.. was sunny at that stage & crystal clear skys a very beautiful place to be....the worse wind Ive ever known came & almost send me flying a few times as Im such a lanky beanpole..my jacket felt like blowing off me a few times too...we eventually took a decision that I couldnt make it to escape 2 as soo exhaused already so we ran off at escape 1 & took a detour back to the cars by the western way.

I have to say a special thanks to the stewards & all the staff who kept our spirts up esp after the bad weather closed in. all the help & chat was very welcoming.

Sorry to hear you didn't finish davycc. The bad weather didn't hit us until we were past the lake, but then we managed to get away at 5.10, but I suspect if we'd been a bit later, and the weather had hit us at the lake we may well have done the same thing.

To be honest, I didn't sleep a wink that night either, partly due to nerves, but also noise coming up from the bar below us. When we went down to breakfast at 3.30 :eek: there were two aul fellas still drinking at the bar who were probably responsible for that!

Still, there's always next year, and this time stay away from the dodgy chicken tikka sandwiches :)

Alun wrote: »
    When we went down to breakfast at 3.30 :eek: there were two aul fellas still drinking at the bar who were probably responsible for that!

I like to think they were on the walk themselves! Nothing wrong with a brandy for the chill!

What was even funnier that weekend was the group of 4 Germans, who, after staying at the hotel for 7 days and hardly seeing a soul, saw the hotel bar completely overrun on Friday evening, and then saw everyone leave at 8.30-9.00 to go to bed! I've no idea what they thought, but they certainly looked confused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Few photos here from the Challenge Walk.

http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/the-maamturks-challenge-in-photos/

Would love to run a report from the walk if anyone has anything written up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I completed the Turks challenge for the second time this year. I considered it a challenge last year when the weather was good so for all intents and purposes it certainly earned its tag line as one of the most difficult "hill-walking" challenges this year, in my eyes anyway.

Luckily I live in Galway city so I've had the opportunity to hike out there in all weather conditions and am only too used to the conditions changing so quickly and for the worse up there. As I knew the weather was going to change I was delighted to be registered and on my merry way by 5.15.

I was extremely lucky in that I was at the col when the winds really picked up and the driving rain started so I only had an hour or two to contend with the horrendous weather. I think that if I had been at the lake or even at Letterbrackaun when the weather broke I would have exited fairly swiftly. I have such admiration for all of those who finished after spending four, five or more hours out in that weather.

The volunteers at each checkpoint have to be commended for their encouragement, smiles, dancing, sweets and chocolate at each and every checkpoint. Despite being out in those conditions for such a long time, they were full of encouragement. One very kind steward at Leenane Hill (before they got blown away) even helped me zip up my waterproof pants, I was well sodden at that stage but I figured it might help get down to Leenane even quicker.

For anyone considering this challenge next year, it's a challenge well worth doing not only for the stunning views and the sense of achievement at the end but for the characters you meet along the way and the stories that are regaled. It's certainly not for the faint hearted though. Preparation is a must. I'm very familiar with the route and had a map well adorned with notes and a well decorated route card but I still got slightly disorientated when the fog came in. Luckily I met two very kind gentlemen who had a GPS and we ended up finishing the last section together. I hope they return next year as I owe them a pint .... or three :).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paddyman38

anyone doing the maamturks challenge 2014

Yep - I'm in

Would love to try it, so have sought permission.

Do a lot of hiking here in Kerry across reasonably rugged conditions, so used to the 30km/2000m/8 to 10 hour outing. And did the WW Ultra 2 weeks back (hence not sure my wife will be too happy at the thought of another weekend away) so fitness not an issue, though have heard the Maamturks are really hard going like few other places. Would be a fast walker, usually don't stop, and head off on my own so not phased by remoteness, bad weather etc. and can navigate reasonably well.

The only thing I would be weak at is the whole issue of pacing at navigation ie. measuring distance. Would this be important? I have no issue at all using a compass and heading off into mist on my own for the day, but would still rely a little on the lie of the land. If I get permission...would the above be enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I'd say you'd be grand, the Maumturks are rocky (quartzite mostly) and the ridge twists and turns but with your fitness level and experience of navigating in the Reeks etc, dare say you'd handle it fine.

Hi Conor

Worth putting the waypoints in a GPS, but I would have said overall you should be OK. I find when going at speed I would not always be able to count my paces - like you it is one of my weak areas in navigation. This year I will probably be testing my own navigation as last year I ended up hooking in with one of our very experienced navigators, just by chance. It is tough, but I would recommend it.

I agree, navigation wise it's not a huge challenge, although there are one or two spots where you can go a number of slightly different routes, some easier than others, such as the descent to the chapel. Also at the start, it's best to not go straight up from the registration tent, but to go along the road a bit before ascending Corcog, as it's a bit craggy otherwise. Once you're on top of the ridges, it's pretty straightforward, and it's pretty easy going as it's fairly rocky. The last bit from just before the 'Col of Despondency' gets a bit squelchier and muddy and the route is less distinct so take care then, as you'll be pretty tired at that point too.

Hope it goes well, the weather doesn't look to brilliant for the 12th unfortunately, and as I know from last year it can get pretty unpleasant up there when it gets wet and windy.

Oh, and if you haven't done so already get the Harvey's Connemara map.

BarryD wrote: »
    with your fitness level and experience of navigating in the Reeks...

Actually that was all talk. Here I am in my walking tweeds...

Smoking-Cigar-Fat-Man.jpg
    Hi Conor

Worth putting the waypoints in a GPS, but I would have said overall you should be OK.

Tbh, don't even have GPS! I'm strictly a point compass and go for it person.

Well, just make sure you have a waterproof box for your Havanas so!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paddyman38

conor 74 have you registered for it , i tried to register for it a few weeks but it was closed as they have reached the 200 that they will allow do it, put my name on the reserve list , but not holding out to much hope. did it last year and it was a great challenge so i want to do it again this year. looks like im going to do it on the day anyway even if im not registered, a number of people did this last year.

• Advertisement

Paddyman38 wrote: »
    conor 74 have you registered for it , i tried to register for it a few weeks but it was closed as they have reached the 200 that they will allow do it, put my name on the reserve list , but not holding out to much hope. did it last year and it was a great challenge so i want to do it again this year. looks like im going to do it on the day anyway even if im not registered, a number of people did this last year.

Oh! Thanks for that. Looked at the site and didn't see any "closed" on it, as you get in a lot of events like runs and the like, so assumed entering it was still possible.

Thanks. Not sure I want to do it without being registered. Will think about it.

Anyone driving from Galway out to Maam Cross at the crack of dawn?

Can drive myself but we'll probably stay in a hotel in the city and would like to leave car with my wife, who can then run out and collect me later. Can take it if stuck, but might be as handy to take spin if anyone passing.

Ouch ouch ouch.

Was on the descent to the lake at Maum Ochoige. Had gone past the tricky part and was walking along wet bog when one leg went out, the other doubled back, and heard a crack. Made it to the tent but knew that was that. Spent what seemed like hours hobbling off the trail and back to the car, and 3 hours in Galway Hospital A and E. Thankfully it seems like nothing is ruptured, but have a couple of months of physio ahead.

Anyway, must say thanks to 2 really pleasant walkers from Donegal who very kindly stayed with me in the walk out, chatting and joking, certainly helped take my mind off the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Sorry to hear that Conor, hope all heals up quickly and you're back on the hills soon.

Oh dear, that sounds painful. Hope everything all heals up as quickly as possible. There's always next year!

What were the conditions like by the way?

Sympathies, any trouble with the knees is hard going, especially as you had to hobble down. Trust the cigars didn't get squashed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Take last years challenge and turn it on it's head - we got lashing rain, poor visibility and high winds from 5 o clock until 10 o clock. The rest of the day was ok but the tough start shook people both psychical and mentally. Many groups didn't make the cuts offs and I heard of many that had to pull out because they got so wet at the start - hypothermia was a real threat. Well done to everyone who finished in tough conditions.

Yeah, really annoying. Was gonna try and do it at speed, but after taking some time to get bearings after first summit figured I wasn't gonna break any records so decided to do some summit bagging. Went over the top of Cruiscin, Binn Mhor and even nipped out to Binn Mhairg, before disaster struck.

Ah well, guess it could have been worse. No head injury anyway. Nothing ruptured.

Hey Conor, sorry about your injury, sounds really painful. Bad conditions this year - one of my buddies who has done it a fair few times, said that it was the worst underfoot that he had experienced. At least last year was dry for the first half, but this year that early rain made it very slippy underfoot for the whole walk. Three of my buddies dropped out at Patricks well, one with an injury and two cold wet and miserable. Made bad time, started late in hope of avoiding some of the rain, came of wrong before Pat's Well and added at least an hour to our first leg. Made check points OK, but never thought I would get out of the Col of D - 13 hrs v last years 11.

Here's to next year:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Once again a great event made all the better by the good humour and encouragement offered by the volunteers manning the checkpoints . Also a word of thanks to those at the sign on Friday evening and those providing the soup and certs at the finish.
    Is anyone aware if stats exist for numbers starting / dropping out / finishing .
    See you next year.
    Blackvalley

Advertisement