Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WRC rail "roadtrip"

• 02-03-2013 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

well, I went...photos here, they aren't great but...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151266310572161.1073741825.630552160&type=3#!/media/set/edit/a.10151266310572161.1073741825.630552160/

Caught the 07.21 from Mallow.

Mk4s very badly riding and seats very hard and uncomfortable but clean and warm. No reservations shown, but nearly empty anyway

Could have caught the previous Ennis train at the Junction which would have been a better option as I could have photoed my Train arriving at Ennis. Commuter unit more comfortable than Mk4.s and rode better (but was slower). Unscheduled change at Limerick, second unit was a bit cold.

There were probably 20-24 passengers on my train on the "new" bit quite good. We crossed the southbound service at Athenry and there were 4 on it, probably more typical!

Nice new-looking ICR from Galway to Port Arlington. Very comfortable. No reseervations shown again (until Athenry, fat lot of good that was!)

Crossed a freight at Tullamore! Container-tanks mostly

Could have got the previous train at Port Arlington than I was scheduled on only it wasn't labelled Portlaoise and anyway I'm not sure the 13.00 ex Heuston stops at Portlaoise anyway. Had an hour to wait hence all the photos.

the 14.00 ex Heuston was my booked train , the Mk 4s southbound were much better than earlier train, so maybe the Up road is in worse condition then the Down? Reservations shown and of the 4 in the 8 seater bay I was in, only I got my reserved seat, and only then because I insisted on it.

Arrived Mallow at 16.10, 11 minutes early!

Overall verdict. All trains ran to time, were clean and comforrtable more or less.Loos at Mallow were filthy (no excuse at dawn, what are they like later !)More effort needed on reservations front.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The bogs in Mallow are always like that, feral.
    The Xmas decorations (some sort of a crib thing I think, above the old newspaper stand) were still there when I passed thru about a fortnight ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Can't see your Facebook photos Corktina. Are they set to friends only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nope Public...

Sorry I couldn't make it, was working yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Same here.

• Advertisement

oh no....duuno what's wrong...heres a selection

2h4dxsx.jpg
    sfb6fn.jpg

Foggy posted a link earlier but seems to have deleted it.

This should work.

jrupee.jpg
    5x4n5v.jpg
    34gsj60.jpg

15zk44.jpg
    15ygkyo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A couple of photos you've marked as Galway look more like they must be Limerick unless Ceannt has had some work done.

flazio wrote: »
    A couple of photos you've marked as Galway look more like they must be Limerick unless Ceannt has had some work done.
    i think it was just the one, and a I have edited it.thx

I was quite shocked at the lack of facilities in Galway btw...quite minimal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

corktina wrote: »
    i think it was just the one, and a I have edited it.thx

I was quite shocked at the lack of facilities in Galway btw...quite minimal!

Is there still a station buffet?

Is there still a station buffet?

dunno, arrived 11.13 plat 2 dep 11.30 plat 1...never left railside!

dunno, arrived 11.13 plat 2 dep 11.30 plat 1...never left railside!

You'll have to go back - a visit to a station without checking on the catering doesn't count! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Sounds like nobody is using the intercity service in the morning from Cork to Dublin.

What about Galway - Dublin in the afternoon? Any worthwhile paying passengers, not including OAP's with companion passengers on day trips etc.

Sounds like ex. Dublin was busy, but to where, anybody left after Portlaoise?

I question the long term viability of long distance intercity rails services V motorways in this country.

I would like to hear some anecdotal evidence on the numbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

posted twice

I question the long term viability on basing our future transport needs on road based solutions. The fact that CIE/IE couldn't score in a brothel should not be used as the basis for make long term strategic transport decisions.

Sounds like nobody is using the intercity service in the morning from Cork to Dublin.

What about Galway - Dublin in the afternoon? Any worthwhile paying passengers, not including OAP's with companion passengers on day trips etc.

Sounds like ex. Dublin was busy, but to where, anybody left after Portlaoise?

I question the long term viability of long distance intercity rails services V motorways in this country.

I would like to hear some anecdotal evidence on the numbers!

the morning cork train was very empty and I got my booked seat despite no reservations shown. Lim Junc to Limerick was maybe 75% full and about 24 onward to Athenry (maybe a few more as far as Ennis). A few more joined at AThenry.Galway towards Dublin was a bit fuller, maybe 75% anr Port Laoise to Lim junc was quite busy(nerly full I'd say) with a good few leaving at that point

• Advertisement

In fairness, some services would still need to run as positioning exercises. For example, the stock from that early morning Cork service could be needed in Dublin for a busier service later in the day. If that were the case then your options would be to either run empty back to Dublin or to run a service anyway.

I wouldn't use that as an excuse to abandon intercity rail altogether, but it might be a case of looking at the hourly timetable and seeing if it's really worth it. I agree about the Mark 4s though, the ride quality is still terrible.

hate to say it but overall i was quite impress by IE, in particular the connections availble seemd to be quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

one thing that pissed me off greatly about the wrc is the lack of timely connections between the Dublin Galway and Galway Limerick. I live near Ballinasloe and often take the train to college in limerick. Normally there is only one time i can go at if i dont fancy waiting in athenry for over an hour.

There seems to be a bit more traction on the Galway Limerick line imo, its gone from being a ghost line (can count numerous times where i have been the only one on the train) to regularly having 20-30 between athenry and ennis. The shorting of the time between galway limerickfrom 2 hrs to 1.40 is probably the main reason. Still probably not covering its cost yet but with better times and connections with the DUB GAL line it could start seeing full trains.

One thing, does anyone know if the newer trains run the line anymore, all I seem to get lately are the commuter cars?

all i saw were commuters....

would cutting out the little used stops help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

all i saw were commuters....

would cutting out the little used stops help?
    I dont know, my knowledge on this subject is miniscule compared to some on this forum, so sorry for any blatent displays of ignorance:D

In my own experience I have yet to see a person get on at ardrahan, craughwell passengers I can count on one hand in over 20+ trips so I cant see it covering its costs. Saying that I have yet to get the early train when most commuters would (theoretically) use it. Gort seems to always have a few.

Sorry this isn't the purpose of this thread, sorry for going O/T. Nic pics btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

hate to say it but overall i was quite impress by IE, in particular the connections availble seemd to be quite good.

That's something Irish Rail have done well in the last few years and the clock face timetabling on the Dublin Cork like has made it easier to work. Overall you seen to have had a good run and most of the negatives are things that are easily fixed.

I was hoping to make thistrip (Dratted work and staff bunking off) but I'll repeat the exercise in a few weeks time but from the Dublin end of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

jrupee.jpg
    5x4n5v.jpg

I see Mallow gunning for the best station awards with an interesting pair of potted welly boots....and...is that James in blackface? Controversial.:D

Why are there lights on in the redundant signal box?

there were people in there and they can't see in the dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The ECP is in the signal box and sometimes the track walkers use it as a communal room of sorts, so I'm told.

Advertisement