Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water in Portarlington

Options
  • 02-03-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi just moved to Portarlington from Dublin just before xmas. Love it here its so quiet.

But i have a small problem i have a newborn baby and im a bit worried about the water for making the bottles.

What do other people do really cant afford to buy the bottled water in aldi all the time. We got a Brita filter jug but im not sure its really doing a good job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Hi just moved to Portarlington from Dublin just before xmas. Love it here its so quiet.

But i have a small problem i have a newborn baby and im a bit worried about the water for making the bottles.

What do other people do really cant afford to buy the bottled water in aldi all the time. We got a Brita filter jug but im not sure its really doing a good job.
    Do you not boil the water first before making the bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

in that case, don't read the recent hot press article on water flouridation in ireland, you'd probably never let the kid near tap water again

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bob Bob

Just boil it and its fine. Make sure you clean out your kettle regular to stop the limescale build up

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

You can get a little wire coil thing in Tesco for less than a fiver and put it in the kettle, the limescale will stick to that I found it great!

really? Gonna have to look into that because I have scrub out my kettle every other week to keep the limescale down

• Advertisement

Yeah, I can't remember what exactly it's called but just a little wire ball type of thing. Made my tea taste nicer anyway.

In the end we got a limescale remover installed and never looked back so I'd defo recommend that if you ever get the chance.

Bob Bob wrote: »
    really? Gonna have to look into that because I have scrub out my kettle every other week to keep the limescale down
    It's just steel wire that is used. A pot scrub will do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

genie_us wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't remember what exactly it's called but just a little wire ball type of thing. Made my tea taste nicer anyway.

In the end we got a limescale remover installed and never looked back so I'd defo recommend that if you ever get the chance.

We're considering this at the moment. The limescale is driving me nuts. How much is it & what's involved? Do you have to keep adding salt?

Minxie123 wrote: »

We're considering this at the moment. The limescale is driving me nuts. How much is it & what's involved? Do you have to keep adding salt?
    On a water Softner you add salt approx once a month. Not cheap to install though.

Minxie123 wrote: »

Hi Minxie

Ours cost 650 I think, and yes we have to keep it topped up with salt. A bag of salt is around 7 euro and lasts for around 5/6 weeks.

You can get ones that don't require the salt but I think they're more expensive. Feel free to PM if you want any more info!

• Advertisement

Hi Minxie

Ours cost 650 I think, and yes we have to keep it topped up with salt. A bag of salt is around 7 euro and lasts for around 5/6 weeks.

You can get ones that don't require the salt but I think they're more expensive. Feel free to PM if you want any more info!
    The ones that don't require salt are about 200 euro. They have no power to them, no moving parts, no circuit board, no waste and no salt. You simply change the crystals in them once a year at around a cost of 50 euro

Dtp79 wrote: »
    The ones that don't require salt are about 200 euro. They have no power to them, no moving parts, no circuit board, no waste and no salt. You simply change the crystals in them once a year at around a cost of 50 euro

Now that's something I could get behind. You got a product name or a link?

Dtp79 wrote: »

Sounds great! Wouldn't mind seeing a link myself. Who installs it?

Bob Bob wrote: »

Now that's something I could get behind. You got a product name or a link?
    They're called combimate. They can be got in most plumbing suppliers. I've fitted about 15 this year and have no problems so far. I think what I like most about them is that they're trouble free and very low maintenance

Sounds great! Wouldn't mind seeing a link myself. Who installs it?
    Generally a plumber installs them. They have to be fitted correctly

Advertisement