Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever experienced hibernophobia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/uncategorized/get-the-latest-irish-post-out-now

I realise the first link may not be the most impartial but there's a number of sources about far-right anti-Irish activity in Liverpool. The Irish Post alludes to it above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

FTA69 wrote: »

Sorry that really is one minority reacting to another minority , and isn't proof of a rise in Anti Irish sentiment in the UK.

Sorry that really is one minority reacting to another minority , and isn't proof of a rise in Anti Irish sentiment in the UK.

I never said there was a dramatic "rise" in anti-Irish sentiment, rather that anti-Irish racism simply exists, which it does. The fact you have far-right British groups attending Irish events and abusing people would prove this to be correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

It's different when Irish people do it though.

is it?? that sketch was shown on British TV back in the 70s during the height of paddywackery, it only added to the stereotype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I realise the first link may not be the most impartial but there's a number of sources about far-right anti-Irish activity in Liverpool. The Irish Post alludes to it above.

Why do Irish republicans want to march in England? That's on a par with the love Ulster parades to be honest.

Sounds to me that you want Hibernophobia to exist to justify your own bigotry.

If England is that bad, the next ferry is at 2pm.

I never said there was a dramatic "rise" in anti-Irish sentiment, rather that anti-Irish racism simply exists, which it does. The fact you have far-right British groups attending Irish events and abusing people would prove this to be correct.

We are never going to have a perfect society and these rent a mob morons will always be with us.

When they finish that protest they are booked for a 7:30 about pediatricians.

These aren't just Irish events, they are political events.

They aren't attacking a st Patrick's day march, it is one commemorating a political movement.

Why do Irish republicans want to march in England? That's on a par with the love Ulster parades to be honest.

Sounds to me that you want Hibernophobia to exist to justify your own bigotry.

If England is that bad, the next ferry is at 2pm.

That's it mate. Anti-Irish sentiment in English was invented by myself to justify my own bigotry. It's entirely a figment of my own imagination. Never existed at all.

And obviously I'm so bigoted I decided to move to England and live here.

There's definitely someone codding themselves mate. And sure it isn't me.

These aren't just Irish events, they are political events.

They aren't attacking a st Patrick's day march, it is one commemorating a political movement.

So the British far-right only have a problem with Irish politics is it but don't care about the rest? Don't cod yourself.

Besides, anti-Irish sentiment isn't limited to the far-right alone as I've alluded to earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement

That's it mate. Anti-Irish sentiment in English was invented by myself to justify my own bigotry. It's entirely a figment of my own imagination. Never existed at all.

And obviously I'm so bigoted I decided to move to England and live here.

There's definitely someone codding themselves mate. And sure it isn't me.

Sure it exists, but you make it sound like the Irish community in England is under constant attack and in fear of their lives.

Sure it exists, but you make it sound like the Irish community in England is under constant attack and in fear of their lives.

When the f*ck did I ever say that at all?
    This is why you saw all those cartoons in popular British magazines up until the early 20th century featuring the Irish as an ape-like people bent on mindless destruction. While those days are thankfully gone by and large, the notion of the Irish as a thick and unsophisticated people endures in the minds of some unfortunately, and this is often what leads some Brits to think it's fine to do the "potato to be sure" act by way of humour.

This is what I posted earlier. If you want to try and twist my posts to suit your own agenda then that's grand lad. But nowhere did I ever suggest that the Irish were "in fear of their lives." I just said that despite some people swearing blind that it doesn't exist, the reality of the matter is that it does.

End of story really.

So the British far-right only have a problem with Irish politics is it but don't care about the rest? Don't cod yourself.

Besides, anti-Irish sentiment isn't limited to the far-right alone as I've alluded to earlier in the thread.

Leave then, or grow thicker skin.

Attitude makes a big difference as well. Hang around the Kilburn republican haunts and only mix with fellow Irish immigrants and you will never settle.

Leave then, or grow thicker skin.

I've been here three years in total. I don't need lectures from you about "settling in."
    Hang around the Kilburn republican haunts and only mix with fellow Irish immigrants and you will never settle.

I've never been to Kilburn and I've been to Cricklewood twice. It's gas you're the one trying to portray me as small-minded but yet you've already formed this ridiculous stereotype of me in your head.

I've been here three years in total. I don't need lectures from you about "settling in."

I've never been to Kilburn and I've been to Cricklewood twice. It's gas you're the one trying to portray me as small-minded but yet you've already formed this ridiculous stereotype of me in your head.

I'm just trying to understand why you can see all this anti Irish sentiment, but other posters in London can't.

I'll say one thing, it's not right, but a lot of English people dont see the Irish as foreign, so will get ridiculed the same way a Geordie does in London, or a scouser in Manchester.

I heard of an Irishman in the British army saying that he nearly left because he kept being called a Paddy bastard. Then when he realised everyone else was being called a cockney bastard, a taff bastard, a tyke bastard etc he came to see it almost as a form of acceptance.

I'm just trying to understand why you can see all this anti Irish sentiment, but other posters in London can't.

First of all everyone's experiences in Britain will be different. Second of all I'm not the only person on this thread who has said anti-Irish sentiment in England exists and people encounter it today. An article about it was even published in the Irish Times last year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2012/07/17/return-of-anti-irish-racism-in-britain/

The OP of this poster asked a question and I answered it, truthfully, as well as explaining that anti-Irish racism is a well-documented phenomenon with a long-history. It hasn't suddenly disappeared in the last couple of years.

It can take many forms, from people talking to you like an eejit to outright abuse. While working behind a bar here for a year I've been called every name under the sun, including one b*tch who was blood sober calling me a "stupid f*cking gyppo" and "f*ck off back to my own country."

While building stages in the O2 last year I was paired up with a Zambian fella and the crew boss proceeded to call him "Kumte Kinte" and follow me around making Famine jokes.

As I said, racism exists in England. Do I let it colour my life? Of course I don't. I love London, I'm happy in my job and my life in general and I'm constantly meeting new people and making new friends. However, just because someone points out that accent-mocking by strangers is unacceptable, or raises the fact the far-right are anti-Irish it doesn't mean they're swilling pints in Kilburn moaning about everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

An event that could be seen as being provactive to far-right groups being attacked attack by said groups is hardly indicative of a wider anti-Irish sentiment within the country, does it? And any anti-Irish sentiment in the wider society would probably be on a par with anti-English or anti-Eastern European sentiments we see expressed in this country. It's not pleasant or justifiable but it hardly makes unique in being maligned in another country.

An event that could be seen as being provactive to far-right groups being attacked attack by said groups is hardly indicative of a wider anti-Irish sentiment within the country, does it? And any anti-Irish sentiment in the wider society would probably be on a par with anti-English or anti-Eastern European sentiments we see expressed in this country. It's not pleasant or justifiable but it hardly makes unique in being maligned in another country.

The far-right in Britain have a long tradition of anti-Irishness that isn't limited to them being anti-Republican. And for the fifth time on this thread, anti-Irish sentiment isn't the preserve of the far-right alone; they're simply but one example of it.

Similarly I'm well aware of the fact that Irish people are racist as well in many respects and as I said earlier on in the thread, many Irish in Britain are some of the most racist people you'll ever encounter.

I lived in England a while and experienced bits of it - mostly ignorant stereotyping rather than malice.

The oddest one I experienced would probably be classed as sectarianism rather than hibernophobia.

On the train to the airport on a hot summer bank holiday weekend a girl sat across from me. Two Northern Irish girls sat in beside us and took out a couple of beers and continued chatting away to each other. Five or so minutes later the first girl said hello and introduced herself to the other two - she said she didn't want to do it straight away when they sat down in case they might be taigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Not exactly hibernophobia, but I was once flying with a ex-paratrooper who served with the 101st in Vietnam. He told me he would never ever go to Ireland as he's had enough shooting and bombs in his lifetime.
    He wasn't joking either.

Got that from a yank before also. Told her she was safer staying away, lot of bombs going off there at the moment. She left thinking being in the IRA was like being in the boy scouts for every Irish child.

studiorat wrote: »
    Got that from a yank before also. Told her she was safer staying away, lot of bombs going off there at the moment. She left thinking being in the IRA was like being in the boy scouts for every Irish child.

You mean you didn't earn your Tiocfaidh ár lá badges in scouts like the rest of us?

• Advertisement

You mean you didn't earn your Tiocfaidh ár lá badges in scouts like the rest of us?

They keep changing the name of that badge

Regular
    Irregular
    Official
    Provisional
    Continuity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

FTA69: clearly we've experienced this city in very different ways then or I'm yet to experience what you're describing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The far-right in Britain have a long tradition of anti-Irishness that isn't limited to them being anti-Republican. And for the fifth time on this thread, anti-Irish sentiment isn't the preserve of the far-right alone; they're simply but one example of it.

Similarly I'm well aware of the fact that Irish people are racist as well in many respects and as I said earlier on in the thread, many Irish in Britain are some of the most racist people you'll ever encounter.

Some years back, the BNP were looking to secure respectability and posted some of their filthy pamphlets through our door. I was bemused by the photogenic young Irish woman they had, she claimed that immigration was not a good thing and something along the lines of that the "indigenous" population felt threatened. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find the Irish are more anti-English than the English are anti-Irish.

They keep changing the name of that badge

Regular
    Irregular
    Official
    Provisional
    Continuity

I hated the irregular ones. They never looked right on your vest.

philologos wrote: »
    FTA69: clearly we've experienced this city in very different ways then or I'm yet to experience what you're describing.

So you've never had a random stranger take the p*ss out of your accent in a pub or restaurant? Or have someone start banging on about "potato potato"? If you haven't then fair play, but you will get it at some stage. I suppose having worked in a bar you'd come across it more due to the fact you're going to be bombarded by a million and one other examples of rudeness and ignorance. My girlfriend works as a nurse and has also had p*ss taking from randomers. I'm not the only Irish person I know over here who has had it either. At the end of the day anti-Irish sentiment has a long and documented history in England, and if you ask those who have been here for decades they'll tell you all about it. Then again some people may never have experience it. Everyone is different.

That having been said I'm not saying that it's a daily reality or a defining characteristic of life in England because it isn't.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I find the Irish are more anti-English than the English are anti-Irish.

It really depends on who you're talking to. I know plenty of British people who live or have lived in Ireland and loved it. I also know those who were often called names and subject to abuse because they came from the UK.

There's one phrase which is reprehensible on so many levels. West Brit.

old hippy wrote: »

Some years back, the BNP were looking to secure respectability and posted some of their filthy pamphlets through our door. I was bemused by the photogenic young Irish woman they had, she claimed that immigration was not a good thing and something along the lines of that the "indigenous" population felt threatened. :rolleyes:

Muppets. Sure one of their candidates in the local elections in London has convictions for participating on an attack on an Irish pub. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So you've never had a random stranger take the p*ss out of your accent in a pub or restaurant? Or have someone start banging on about "potato potato"? If you haven't then fair play, but you will get it at some stage. I suppose having worked in a bar you'd come across it more due to the fact you're going to be bombarded by a million and one other examples of rudeness and ignorance. My girlfriend works as a nurse and has also had p*ss taking from randomers. I'm not the only Irish person I know over here who has had it either. At the end of the day anti-Irish sentiment has a long and documented history in England, and if you ask those who have been here for decades they'll tell you all about it. Then again some people may never have experience it. Everyone is different.

if that;s what qualifies as "hibernipohobia" god help us.

I've had the piss taken out of my accent, and I've taken the pis out of other people's accent. Then we laughed about it, had a beer and watched the football and that was it.

I've had the piss taken out of my accent by Corkonians, for heaven's sake - is that "hibernophobia"?

I've had the piss taken out of my because of my sexual orientation, but not by homophobes or heterophobes (not sure which one applies, because they got my orientation wrong).

I've had the piss taken out of my occupation.

I've had the piss taken out of me because of my age.

I've had the piss taken out of me because of my hair.

I've had the piss taken out of me because of the football team I support.

At what point does it become a phobia?
    That having been said I'm not saying that it's a daily reality or a defining characteristic of life in England because it isn't.

Agreed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Muppets. Sure one of their candidates in the local elections in London has convictions for participating on an attack on an Irish pub. You couldn't make it up.

I'd like to think they've pretty much lost what "credibility" they ever had, at this stage.

• Advertisement

At what point does it become
    a phobia?

Would you feel it acceptable to say "thank you, come again" in a faux-Hindi accent to an Indian shopkeeper you've never met? I doubt you would.

Would you go into a Chinese restaurant and say "Flied lice please" with a stupid grin in your face?

I'm not saying banter amongst friends is unacceptable, what I'm saying is that people you've never met in your life sitting behind you in a pub going "potato potato" while you're chatting to your girlfriend is unacceptable.

Talking to someone like they're a clown on the basis of their nationality is wrong and despite what you're trying to portray, it isn't always friendly banter.

I would never say the problem doesn't exist, having experienced it myself. How rife it is depends on who you talk to and where you're at - geographically and personality wise. Some people just ignore it & get on with life. I'd prefer a life where a person's accent or origins just don't come into it. Where people "judge" you on personality and merit.

I do recall a rather animated New Yorker, of Irish descent, on a long gone daily forum who had been a former SF/Noraid supporter. Like Saul on the road to Damascus he had a change of heart. He suddenly renounced not only Republicanism but also switched to revisonism and denial. He wrote feverishly on how there was no such thing as anti-Irish sentiment and the documented evidence of said anti-Irish sentiment (in the US) was fabricated.

He had his askew views published in plenty of East Coast papers (often associated with Ireland).

I often wonder what happened to the guy. Entertaining but bonkers and very, very wrong.

I would never say the problem doesn't exist, having experienced it myself. How rife it is depends on who you talk to and where you're at - geographically and personality wise. Some people just ignore it & get on with life. I'd prefer a life where a person's accent or origins just don't come into it. Where people "judge" you on personality and merit.

At the end of the day that's the way things should be. If someone is a bigoted prick then leave them off, life really is too short.

The one thing that winds me up though is people bending over backwards to try and state that such bigotry doesn't exist and that it's only "banter" when it clearly isn't at times.

On top of this, if you raise the subject you're immediately characterised as a thin-skinned whingebag, a bigot yourself toward the English or else a rosy-eyed nationalist drinking yourself to death in Kilburn.

Of course the people who mention the above will then call you "closed minded."

It's gas.

At the end of the day that's the way things should be. If someone is a bigoted prick then leave them off, life really is too short.

The one thing that winds me up though is people bending over backwards to try and state that such bigotry doesn't exist and that it's only "banter" when it clearly isn't at times.

On top of this, if you raise the subject you're immediately characterised as a thin-skinned whingebag, a bigot yourself toward the English or else a rosy-eyed nationalist drinking yourself to death in Kilburn.

It's gas.

It sure is. Or when you're told to "grow a thicker skin", "go home if you don't like it", "it's only a joke" etc etc etc.

I always admired a dear old friend of mine who's no longer with us. His house was raided by the police in the 70s and he was questioned at length about whether he had any IRA ties (he didn't - hated them). Afterwards he never bore any ill will towards his host country or the met. I'm not so sure I would have been so calm and forgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would you feel it acceptable to say "thank you, come again" in a faux-Hindi accent to an Indian shopkeeper you've never met? I doubt you would.

Would you go into a Chinese restaurant and say "Flied lice please" with a stupid grin in your face?

:confused:? If you're referring to the Irish equivalent, I've honestly never expereinced it. Goes back to my question: what defines it as a phobia?
    I'm not saying banter amongst friends is unacceptable, what I'm saying is that people you've never met in your life sitting behind you in a pub going "potato potato" while you're chatting to your girlfriend is unacceptable.

Talking to someone like they're a clown on the basis of their nationality is wrong and despite what you're trying to portray, it isn't always friendly banter.

As is hyping it up and trying to portray it as the norm, to be fair.

I hope you're not implying that this is what I meant...?

It's gas.

True, but close-minded would also be experienceing one incident and then writing off large groups of a population as hiberniphobic or trying to pass it off as the norm, which I beleive is what the OP tired to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Some knucklehead calling you 'Paddy' on holiday is hardly Stephen Biko or Rosa Parks stuff is it?

Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No I haven't actually. I've had friends mess around but that's about it. My boss at work has also joked a bit about it (he's from India and most of my team and the vast majority of my floor are not British) and I regard it as a bit of fun.

? If you're referring to the Irish equivalent, I've honestly never expereinced it.

Good for you. I have though. And working in a pub there wasn't a week that went by without people doing a leperachaun accent while p*ssing themselves. People wouldn't go into a Chinese and do a "wing wong" accent while ordering because it would rightly be seen as stupid and offensive behaviour. I fail to see the difference.

(Although I did have a Chinese manager in the pub and he got that all the time as well. Such is life.)
    what defines it as a phobia?

I'm not advocating the use of that term. Take that one up with the OP.
    As is hyping it up and trying to portray it as the norm, to be fair.

I didn't do that. I said anti-Irish sentiment exists and takes a myriad of forms. I explained how it originated and explained how it has a long and documented history.

I never once said it was a daily occurrence. The amount of strawmanning going on in this thread is unreal.
    I hope you're not implying that this is what I meant...?

I don't know what you're trying to say to be honest mate. To read your post it looks like you're dismissing anti-Irish sentiment as a bit of banter between mates. Some randomer taking the p*ss out of your accent or indeed calling you a "f*cking gyppo" or making Famine jokes is something entirely different though.
    True, but close-minded would also be experienceing one incident and then writing off large groups of a population as hiberniphobic or trying to pass it off as the norm, which I beleive is what the OP tired to do.

The OP's a gobsh*te who doesn't even live here. I do live here though, and all I'm doing is relating a few of my own experiences.

Although some posters then feel the need to sh*t themselves and pretend it's all just a case of chips on shoulders and other assorted crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

philologos wrote: »
    No I haven't actually. I've had friends mess around but that's about it. My boss at work has also joked a bit about it (he's from India and most of my team and the vast majority of my floor are not British) and I regard it as a bit of fun.

There you go then.... conclusive proof that the Indians are hibernophobes

;)

• Advertisement

Good for you. I have though. And working in a pub there wasn't a week that went by without people doing a leperachaun accent while p*ssing themselves. People wouldn't go into a Chinese and do a "wing wong" accent while ordering because it would rightly be seen as stupid and offensive behaviour. I fail to see the difference.

(Although I did have a Chinese manager in the pub and he got that all the time as well. Such is life.)

Fair enough, but I can't comment on something I haven't experienced, other to say that i think people are exaggerating here, and I have enough expereience of livign in england and with English people to have a representative say.
    I'm not advocating the use of that term. Take that one up with the OP.

It's a fair question, but I am of the impression that you wouldn't be as quick to call phobia anyway.

I did try to take it up with the OP, but he thought it was important to comment on my spelling than on the points I raised, and went and got himself banned.
    I didn't do that. I said anti-Irish sentiment exists and takes a myriad of forms. I explained how it originated and explained how it has a long and documented history.

I know, the point wasn't intended to be directed at you specifcially.

I never once said it was a daily occurrence. The amount of strawmanning going on in this thread is unreal.

I don't know what you're trying to say to be honest mate. To read your post it looks like you're dismissing anti-Irish sentiment as a bit of banter between mates. Some randomer taking the p*ss out of your accent or indeed calling you a "f*cking gyppo" or making Famine jokes is something entirely different though.
    Agreed, but someoen brought up taking the piss out of accents and mentioning potatoes as if it was blantany hibernophobia/
    The OP's a gobsh*te who doesn't even live here. I do live here though, and all I'm doing is relating a few of my own experiences.

Although some posters then feel the need to sh*t themselves and pretend it's all just a case of chips on shoulders and other assorted crap.

The OP can't defend himself at the moment, but he did have the chance and his points were attacked from multiple sources.

The question then becomes, how widespread is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

FT,you will find plenty on here who will tell its not happening to you, and to feel free to get the first boat home if you dont like it,get a thicker skin etc and you should look on it as great crack.I wonder do they talk to black people the same way,dont think so,they would get a going over for their little piece of banter.Just go through some of these guys previous posts and you will see what they are about.
    I lived in London for 25 years and if I thought some one was trying to insult me because I was irish after I had started a job,they would get their answer back in spades one way or the other and it laid down a marker to anyone else that if they went beyond a line that it was not ok and that it would not be tolerated and never had a problem,to accept it lets the idiots think it is ok and the cycle continues.

I know, the point wasn't intended to be directed at you specifcially.

One poster on here said I was making out that Irish people are in daily fear of their lives. Something I never did. That's strawmanning.
    The question then becomes, how widespread is it?

Things like prejudice are fairly hard to quantify. It's not a major issue, but like all forms of bigotry it tends to rear it's head from time to time.

It sure is. Or when you're told to "grow a thicker skin", "go home if you don't like it", "it's only a joke" etc etc etc.

I always admired a dear old friend of mine who's no longer with us. His house was raided by the police in the 70s and he was questioned at length about whether he had any IRA ties (he didn't - hated them). Afterwards he never bore any ill will towards his host country or the met. I'm not so sure I would have been so calm and forgiving.

I remember three Irish guys that worked with my father back in the eighties.

All three were from Cavan and monaghan, hung out together etc and all lived in Acton.

One of them though got taken in for questioning three times, had has flat searched etc whilst the other two never had a problem. For some reason Declan was hassled to the point he moved backto Ireland. For some reason the Met police just decided they didn't want him around.

Was it Hibernophobia? He would probably think so, as no one that knew him ever thought he was involved with any republican activity, but why just him and not the other two?

tipptom wrote: »
    to accept it lets the idiots think it is ok and the cycle continues.

True. That sort of nonsense (along with things like homophobia and sexism etc) should be challenged when it manifests itself.

To be honest there's nothing sadder than someone blatantly being abused and them chuckling along with it in the name of "banter" rather than acknowledging what's staring them in the face. It only propagates the "jolly eejit" stereotype.

True. That sort of nonsense (along with things like homophobia and sexism etc) should be challenged when it manifests itself.

To be honest there's nothing sadder than someone blatantly being abused and them chuckling along with it in the name of "banter" rather than acknowledging what's staring them in the face. It only propagates the "jolly eejit" stereotype.

You need to decide when it is banter and when it isn't though otherwise you just look touchy.

I get wise cracks in the office, usually in the form of a stupid mockney accent, to which I usually reply aah bejaysus would ya go an ****e ya feckin gobdob and we all laugh.

I've had someone do it in a pub and my response of **** off you fat **** was, I felt, appropriate. (I hasten to add having four large Irish mates with me helped).

• Advertisement

I've had someone do it in a pub and my response of **** off you fat **** was, I felt, appropriate. (I hasten to add having four large Irish mates with me helped).

Of course it's appropriate. Someone taking liberties should be set right and that's the end of it.

Of course it's appropriate. Someone taking liberties should be set right and that's the end of it.

Let's do an experiment.

We'll go on the rip in Covent garden and I'll wear an Ireland shirt to see how much abuse I get.

On the condition we follow it up with a pub crawl in Temple Bar where you get to wear an England shirt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

On the condition we follow it up with a pub crawl in Temple Bar where you get to wear an England shirt!

You'll just get some convoluted bullshit about it being an understandable folk reaction based on the bloodshed and oppression of 800 years.

anncoates wrote: »
    You'll just get some convoluted bullshit about it being an understandable folk reaction based on the bloodshed and oppression of 800 years.

Or not. But whatever you want to think yourself like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Classy publication. Are you for real. You might have well linked back to Stormfront.

• Advertisement
Advertisement