Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever experienced hibernophobia?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Chinasea wrote: »
    Nothing to be amused at. I don't see anything funny. Especially when the OP has, as I believe tried to incite a Brit bashing thread. And then the usual suspects conclude that anyone who might challenge this is 'anti Irish' - now, perhaps that is a tad pathetic as opposed to amusing if we were to go down that silly street.

OP opened up the thread with a fairly general hypothetical statement, with the disclaimer that it was not an anti English thread but....then followed up as soon as the thread had swung the way he wanted with his own personal (once off) negative experience soliciting others to follow suit.

My observation. My right. My belief.

What good could be achieved by that. Isn't it time that we moved on?

We'll all have to remember that next time you start generalised Irish bashing based on anecdotes.

I don't see anyone Brit bashing as you call it. People have shared various experiences with various nationalities.

And to be honest I don't really care if the OP has an ulterior motive - it's been an interesting and fairly balanced discussion of people's experiences. I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I don't see anyone Brit bashing as you call it.

Ah right so Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Classy publication. Are you for real. You might have well linked back to Stormfront.

The Irish Post is a long standing and well respected paper, the Irish Times also covered the incident. Is that Stormfront as well? Don't be stupid.

FTA69 wrote: »
    The Irish Post is a long standing and well respected paper, the Irish Times also covered the incident. Is that Stormfront as well? Don't be stupid.

I'd say at this stage, you'd argue with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

We'd better ban Father Ted so because that's obviously as bad Spike Milligan. I feel so oppressed just thinking about it.

If you don't see the difference then that is quite worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

anncoates wrote: »
    You'll just get some convoluted bullshit about it being an understandable folk reaction based on the bloodshed and oppression of 800 years.
    Ok,you get to wear the Argentinian shirt in the Falkland island bars and tell them its all convoiuted bullsh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

woodoo wrote: »
    If you don't see the difference then that is quite worrying.

A man with an Irish heritage (who became an Irish citizen in 1962) takes the piss out of the Irish. Two Irish writers take the piss out of the Irish but with a knowing irony.

I can't seem to rustle the prerequisite ire to be offended by Spike Milligan's depiction of the Irish. Do I need to work a bit more on my sense of being a victim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Would you feel it acceptable to say "thank you, come again" in a faux-Hindi accent to an Indian shopkeeper you've never met? I doubt you would.

Would you go into a Chinese restaurant and say "Flied lice please" with a stupid grin in your face?

I'm not saying banter amongst friends is unacceptable, what I'm saying is that people you've never met in your life sitting behind you in a pub going "potato potato" while you're chatting to your girlfriend is unacceptable.

Talking to someone like they're a clown on the basis of their nationality is wrong and despite what you're trying to portray, it isn't always friendly banter.

Best one I ever saw was these English football hooligan types sitting outside a café/bar in Bordeaux laughing at French people walking past doing fairly normal french things like carrying a baguette, mocking people's accents, doing impressions of French being spoken to a bar man's face + calling him "oi! froggie"

They then started going on about how the French were incredibly rude when the guy asked him to get out of the bar.

Sadly, I think England does actually suffer from a very small, very annoying, thuggish element of society that tend to go around spoiling for a fight at all times. They're the same people who nearly destroyed English football for genuine fans for decades.

You get a bit of it in the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium too, and to a degree in France, but not quite as bad.

Ireland's yobbish/thuggish element seems to be more about random drunken brawling (the English do that too btw). I just find there's a kind of underlying angry at foreigners thing in England (and also in certain other EU countries) that can bubble up with that thuggishness and turn really nasty very quickly.

I've seen it in Ireland once or twice too. Like for example an American guy I know was pretty much verbally and physically assaulted at a bar (quite a nice one) in Cork because his bag or coat or something brushed against this guy who decided to take offence at his skin colour!
    This was an Irish guy. He went off on a rant about 'the blacks' and then pushed him .. at which point he was pretty much jumped on by bouncers and dragged off.

A friend of mine from Spain was also told to "f*** off back to her own country" by a bunch of teens on the Cobh train one day too.

I think when it comes down to it, every society has a small % of thugs and they're always the ones who rely on xenophobic, homophobic, anti-ginger, or just damn nasty 'humour' that's intended to hurt.
    Invariably they're a bit dim and usually have all the sex appeal bucket of manure, so probably have a major chip on their shoulder and the only way they can make themselves feel important is by attacking / offending / belittling someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

A few months back,an Irishman on a cruise ship was awarded a sum of money because the court agreed that he had been subject to a form of anti-Irish bigotry(or banter).On the comments page were howls of PC gone mad,can't take a joke,thick skin,as a yorkshireman,etc etc.

One poster,presumably Irish,made the point that it's all fun and games until someone mentions the Royals. Fast forward to the Kate Middleton titties thing and the irish star, and said posters were seething with rage,cut off economic ties! demand the money we gave them back now!! third world country!!! With friends like these,eh?

Never having lived in England,and only being an(unfortunately) seldom visitor, my opinion isn't worth poo on this subject,no contest there, but friends of mine have experienced unfortunate situations there. One friend was having a beer in the pub,when a group near him began fantasizing about beating up an Irishman, barkeep told my friend to move on instead of the rabble.

It's there,still clinging on. And it is nowhere nearwhat it was in the previous century.
    And the West Country rocks!!! Mick Teague's pub Gloucester rules!!!! whooooo!!!!!

I'd say at this stage, you'd argue with yourself.

The Post is the largest Irish paper in Britain and is often used by the government and the GAA to carry ads and whatnot. How is that comparable to Stormfront?

No sense whatsoever.

Basically the Irish Times article by an Irish journalist living in England had the same reaction as many on this board; hysterical attempts to portray anyone who mentions there is such a thing as anti-Irish sentiment as a thin-skinned bigot spoiling for trouble. It's pathetic really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

T

Basically the Irish Times article by an Irish journalist living in England had the same reaction as many on this board; hysterical attempts to portray anyone who mentions there is such a thing as anti-Irish sentiment as a thin-skinned bigot spoiling for trouble. It's pathetic really.

Can you repost the link to he Irish Times article?

Also, can you point out these "hysteical attempts"? I don't believe anyone said it didn't exist - bigotry exists in all cultures.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2012/07/17/return-of-anti-irish-racism-in-britain/
    Also, can you point out these "hysteical attempts"? I don't believe anyone said it didn't exist - bigotry exists in all cultures.

I think comparing the James Larkin society to the "Love Ulster" parades and the Irish Post newspaper to Stormfront could be fairly called hysterical distortions to say the least. Similarly the notion that anyone who raises anti-Irish sentiment is obviously an unintegrated Kilburn eejit could be construed as a hysterical reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2012/07/17/return-of-anti-irish-racism-in-britain/

I think comparing the James Larkin society to the "Love Ulster" parades and the Irish Post newspaper to Stormfront could be fairly called hysterical distortions to say the least. Similarly the notion that anyone who raises anti-Irish sentiment is obviously an unintegrated Kilburn eejit could be construed as a hysterical reaction.

The amount of hysteia in that article there just as bad as the attitude of the so-called "North West Infidels". If one needs to be use extremeism in order to highlight a phobia of a group of people then you can not help but ge suspicious.

Also, the point needs to be made that it's a blog within the newspaper and not the newspaper itself.

I'd also like to bring your attention to the comments posted by readers at the end - most of whom either either tell of years of experience living hassle-free in England, or claim one-off isolated incidents.

Sorry, but that article, if inteded to stoke up divisions, is a massive fail.

End reuslt? There is no phobia or anti-Irish feeling. There is bigotry and ignorance, yes, as you have highlighed, but that happens everywhere. Even in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The amount of hysteia in that article there just as bad as the attitude of the so-called "North West Infidels". If one needs to be use extremeism in order to highlight a phobia of a group of people then you can not help but ge suspicious.

Also, the point needs to be made that it's a blog within the newspaper and not the newspaper itself.

I'd also like to bring your attention to the comments posted by readers at the end - most of whom either either tell of years of experience living hassle-free in England, or claim one-off isolated incidents.

Sorry, but that article, if inteded to stoke up divisions, is a massive fail.

End reuslt? There is no phobia or anti-Irish feeling. There is bigotry and ignorance, yes, as you have highlighed, but that happens everywhere. Even in Ireland.
    Thanks for settling that for us.

tipptom wrote: »
    Thanks for settling that for us.

In the absense of any buttal, you are most welcome.

He points out the fact that anti-Irish sentiment isn't necessarily confined to the far-right, who of course hate everything. In doing this he backs up what he was saying with his own personal experience, there's nothing hysterical about it. In posting on this thread I, and others, have used their own personal experiences to demonstrate that anti-Irish sentiment hasn't entirely gone away. I've met black people in Britain who say they have never experienced racism, that doesn't necessarily equate with their being no anti-black racism in the UK does it?

Most but not all. As I said, everyone's experiences are different.
    There is no anti-Irish feeling.

In the minds of some people, unfortunately, there is.
    There is bigotry and ignorance

And when this bigotry is manifested toward the Irish can this then not be called "anti-Irish bigotry" no? You're contradicting yourself mate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Has anyone said potato yet? Or tirty tree lol, always goes down well with an irish stranger. Especially irish bar men, they cant get enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

FTA69: you seem to think its very widespread or common, but as far as I see in practice it isn't widespread or common. I can live my life without interference or hindrance. Accepting a joke every so often in good humour isn't a huge deal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

gallag wrote: »
    Has anyone said potato yet? Or tirty tree lol, always goes down well with an irish stranger. Especially irish bar men, they cant get enough.

Anyone know where this potato thing started, only noticed it with Keith Lemon and Jedward

• Advertisement

I don't know what you're moaning about anyway. Over here in the "mainland" they don't usually differentiate between northern Paddy and southern Paddy.

Philologos,
    FTA69: you seem to think its very widespread or common, but as far as I see in practice it isn't widespread or common. I can live my life without interference or hindrance. Accepting a joke every so often in good humour isn't a huge deal to me.

To repeat myself for the umpteenth time: no I don't think it's a daily occurrence, I don't think it's impacting on my quality of life and I don't think we're under constant attack. Why people feel the need to put words in my mouth is beyond me.

Secondly, I've also stated umpteenth times that I can tell the difference between a joke and something else. Someone calling you a "f*cking gyppo" and telling you to "go home to your own country" isn't a joke like. Believe it or not.

He points out the fact that anti-Irish sentiment isn't necessarily confined to the far-right, who of course hate everything. In doing this he backs up what he was saying with his own personal experience, there's nothing hysterical about it. In posting on this thread I, and others, have used their own personal experiences to demonstrate that anti-Irish sentiment hasn't entirely gone away. I've met black people in Britain who say they have never experienced racism, that doesn't necessarily equate with their being no anti-black racism in the UK does it?

He never actually uses any personal experience - he only refers to articles left on his blogs. At least if he is using internet trolls a eveidence it's sevear barrel-scraping.

The existence of such incidents I never denied, I simply refered to them as bigotry and said it was in no way a phobia. If the jornalist's expereinces are enough why does he need to even bring up radical groups?

Most but not all. As I said, everyone's experiences are different.

"Most" meaning peopel who have lived there for decades and seen nothing. Again, not belittling your expereinces, I think it would be impossible to live for such a long time in a ounry as populated as the UK and miss it entirely.
    In the minds of some people, unfortunately, there is.

And when this bigotry is manifested toward the Irish can this then not be called "anti-Irish bigotry" no? You're contradicting yourself mate.

Intersting bit of misquoting there. First you break it up to change the meaning and secondly you actually directly change what I have written - I used the word "phobia", not "bigotry".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Eh?

I don't know what you're moaning about anyway. Over here in the "mainland" they don't usually differentiate between northern Paddy and southern Paddy.

Philologos,

To repeat myself for the umpteenth time: no I don't think it's a daily occurrence, I don't think it's impacting on my quality of life and I don't think we're under constant attack. Why people feel the need to put words in my mouth is beyond me.

Secondly, I've also stated umpteenth times that I can tell the difference between a joke and something else. Someone calling you a "f*cking gyppo" and telling you to "go home to your own country" isn't a joke like. Believe it or not.
    Now ya wouldn't be pushing the "thick British cant read a map" sterotype now would ya? Quick there is a thread about that kia provo car and people are cutting the usual silly brits/unionists jokes even bringing up the Faulklands etc, what kind of phobia is that? Or mabey its just a bit of banter?

There's enough problems in the world without inventing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Anyone know where this potato thing started, only noticed it with Keith Lemon and Jedward

I think it started with Walter Raleigh bringing them back with him from America near the end of the 16th century.

Madam wrote: »

Eh?
    Paddy goes into a John Lewis department store and asks the shopkeeper, "Excuse me sir, but do you sell potato clocks?"The shopkeeper looks at him and says, "Are you taking the piss? We sell cuckoo clocks, carriage clocks, grandfather clocks, alarm clocks... what the feck is a potato clock?"And Paddy says, "I don't know, but I start my new job at nine tomorrow, and the wife said 'You'd better get a potato clock.'"

• Advertisement

He never actually uses any personal experience - he only refers to articles left on his blogs. At least if he is using internet trolls a eveidence it's sevear barrel-scraping.

If you think that sentiment is limited to the internet you're wrong. Just because a comment is made on the internet doesn't mean that that opinion doesn't exist in reality.
    Intersting bit of misquoting there. First you break it up to change the meaning and secondly you actually directly change what I have written - I used the word "phobia", not "bigotry".

B*llocks. You said there was such a thing as bigotry but no such thing as anti-Irish feeling, a contradiction in terms considering the fact that some examples of bigotry are of an anti-Irish character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I was born in England to Irish parents and having been living in Limerick since I was 3. The amount of slagging I get from my friends is ridiculous! Only banter though!

I have a thick Limerick accent and the only time I've ever had hassle because of it was from one of the lookie lookie men over in gran canaria he started calling paddy and all this crap because I wouldn't buy anything.

When my family lived in England, my Dad worked on a building site, and the day after Ireland beat England 1 nil in Euro 1988, he went in early on the monday and painted the score onto a big sheet of plywood and hung it up high so that all the English lads could see :D

Paddy goes into a John Lewis department store and asks the shopkeeper, "Excuse me sir, but do you sell potato clocks?"The shopkeeper looks at him and says, "Are you taking the piss? We sell cuckoo clocks, carriage clocks, grandfather clocks, alarm clocks... what the feck is a potato clock?"And Paddy says, "I don't know, but I start my new job at nine tomorrow, and the wife said 'You'd better get a potato clock.'"

Is that it?

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I was born in England to Irish parents and having been living in Limerick since I was 3. The amount of slagging I get from my friends is ridiculous! Only banter though!

I have a thick Limerick accent and the only time I've ever had hassle because of it was from one of the lookie lookie men over in gran canaria he started calling paddy and all this crap because I wouldn't buy anything.

When my family lived in England, my Dad worked on a building site, and the day after Ireland beat England 1 nil in Euro 1988, he went in early on the monday and painted the score onto a big sheet of plywood and hung it up high so that all the English lads could see :D
    Ahhh, the way it should be, slaging the **** out of each other :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Oh Gawd, that is so bad:rolleyes: Can't say I've heard that before - thank god! Never mind Hibernophobia - what about countyphobia? The times I've heard some county in Ireland described is a sh*thole or some eejit calls someone a bogger on this site makes me embarrassed to be Irish.

• Advertisement

If you think that sentiment is limited to the internet you're wrong. Just because a comment is made on the internet doesn't mean that that opinion doesn't exist in reality.

We were specifcially talking about the journalist here: if he journalist has expereienced more direct discrimination or bigotry because of his nationality, why did he then not mention it in his piece?
    B*llocks. You said there was such a thing as bigotry but no such thing as anti-Irish feeling, a contradiction in terms considering the fact that some examples of bigotry are of an anti-Irish character.

I said there was bigotry, I never said there was anti-Irish bigotry. That was you.

To clarify: bigots will vent at whatever is going. Irish, Jews, Muslims, Americans, and so on. They won't be bigoted towards one group and completly cool with everyone else. Case in point, the North West Infidels.

Ahhh, the way it should be, slaging the **** out of each other :-)

True! I'll have the last laugh the lads try to get a second holiday visa to Canada but only have an Irish passport :P

I said there was bigotry, I said there was an anti-Irish phobia, I never said there was anti-Irish bigotry. That was you.

To clarify: bigots will vent at whatever is going. Irish, Jews, Muslims, Americans, and so on. They won't be bigoted towards one group and completly cool with everyone else. Case in point, the North West Infidels.

Oh for the love of God, I've had enough of this ridiculous semantical nonsense to be honest.

Anti-Irish bigotry exists. Some people don't like the Irish and are prejudiced toward them in some way or form. Many of these people also dislike other groups e.g. Jews or blacks.

It isn't that complicated.

True! I'll have the last laugh the lads try to get a second holiday visa to Canada but only have an Irish passport :P

How did you get two, cut off date is the 31/12/82

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Classy publication. Are you for real. You might have well linked back to Stormfront.

The Irish Post has served the Irish community in Britain with much acclaim for many years now and has always been well regarded. I wrote a few features for it myself, years back.

To compare it to Stormfront is like comparing a fish to a bicycle.

Oh for the love of God, I've had enough of this ridiculous semantical nonsense to be honest.

Anti-Irish bigotry exists. Some people don't like the Irish and are prejudiced toward them in some way or form. Many of these people also dislike other groups e.g. Jews or blacks.

It isn't that complicated.

Elaborate on the bit in bold, please.

I've already explaied the bigotry bit. Bigots exist. They're not anti-Iirsh, they're bigots. This does not a phobia make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

old hippy wrote: »
    The Irish Post has served the Irish community in Britain with much acclaim for many years now and has always been well regarded. I wrote a few features for it myself, years back.

To compare it to Stormfront is like comparing a fish to a bicycle.

Fish have wheels and Bicycle fingers are delicious

Madam wrote: »

Oh Gawd, that is so bad:rolleyes: Can't say I've heard that before - thank god! Never mind Hibernophobia - what about countyphobia? The times I've heard some county in Ireland described is a sh*thole or some eejit calls someone a bogger on this site makes me embarrassed to be Irish.
    How about this, it is a toofor as it mocks both the irish and the French.

The French President is sitting in his office when his telephone rings.'Hallo, Mr. Sarkozy!' a heavily accented voice said. 'This is Paddy down at the Harp Pub in County Clare , Ireland .. I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on you! We voted to reject the Lisbon treaty!''Well, Paddy,' Sarkozy replied, 'This is indeed important news! How big is your army?''Right now,' says Paddy, after a moment's calculation, 'there is myself, me Cousin Sean, me next door neighbour Seamus, and the entire darts team from the pub. That makes eleven!'Sarkozy paused. 'I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 100,000 men in my army waiting to move on my command.''Begoora!' says Paddy. 'I'll have to ring you back.'Sure enough, the next day, Paddy calls again. 'Mr. Sarkozy, the war is still on. We have managed to get us some infantry equipment!' 'And what equipment would that be Paddy?' Sarkozy asks.'Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor.'Sarkozy sighs amused. 'I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 6,000 tanks and 5,000 armoured personnel carriers. Also, I have increased my army to 150,000 since we last spoke.''Saints preserve us!' says Paddy. 'I'll have to get back to you.'Sure enough, Paddy rings again the next day. 'Mr. Sarkozy, the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We have modified Jackie McLaughlin's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Bar have joined us as well!'Sarkozy was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. 'I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 100 bombers and 200 fighter planes. My military bases are surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I have increased my army to 200,000!''Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!' says Paddy, 'I will have to ring you back.'Sure enough, Paddy calls again the next day. 'Top o' the mornin', Mr. Sarkozy! I am sorry to inform you that we have had to call off the war.''Really? I am sorry to hear that,' says Sarkozy. 'Why the sudden change of heart?''Well,' says Paddy, 'we had a long chat over a few pints of Guinness and packets of crisps, and we decided there is no fookin' way we can feed 200,000 prisoners.

How did you get two, cut off date is the 31/12/82

I don't have a British one right now, but because I was born to "settled" (not traveller! haha) parents which according to British Citizenship law includes people from the Republic of Ireland, I can get one if I ever need one.

Elaborate on the bit in bold, please.

I've already explaied the bigotry bit. Bigots exist. They're not anti-Iirsh, they're bigots.

So just because someone hates blacks, gays and Jews as well as the Irish, they're not really anti-Irish? Nonsense. Semantical nonsense at that.

Not to mention the stereotype of the Irish as thick Paddies that many often enocunter from some English people. That also exists too by the way. Shock horror.

• Advertisement

I don't have a British one right now, but because I was born to "settled" (not traveller! haha) parents which according to British Citizenship law includes people from the Republic of Ireland, I can get one if I ever need one.

Sorry can't see a listing for it here

So just because someone hates blacks, gays and Jews as well as the Irish, they're not really anti-Irish? Nonsense. Semantical nonsense at that.

Not to mention the stereotype of the Irish as thick Paddies that many often enocunter from some English people. That also exists too by the way. Shock horror.

Last line in my last post explains all of the above - they're bigots. Semantical would be to took one aspect of their bigotry and highlight that and try to play it up to be a phobia.

The stereotype is redundant. Any sensible British person doesn't think like that.

You seem to think that, because someone abused your nationality, you have the right to portray vast swathes of them as people who actually believe "the stereotype of the Irish as thick Paddies" which, let's face it, vey few of us actually encounter.

I'm out of here. You're grossly exaggerating something and trying to create a problem were none simply exists. It's simply a case of you wanting to believe it rather than it acgtually axisting on a widespred level. I belive it's called "tea-party politics".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

crockholm wrote: »
    Fish have wheels and Bicycle fingers are delicious

I remember seeing a beautiful surrealist painting of a goldfish driving a combine harvester, not sure if it was by Magritte, Ernst, or my five-year-old son, I knew I'd get the chance to mention it eventually.
    Multiculturalism sure is all encompassing, and thank goodness for that!

Sorry wrong thread/forum.
    MODS can you move this to 'Mustard', cheers.

You're grossly exaggerating something and trying to create a problem were none simply exists.

Nope, and you repeatedly accusing me of trying to conjure up something that has a documented history and is a current reality (albeit on an irregular basis)is ridiculous to say the least.

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

But if it doesn't happen to some people, if they have never experienced racism or bigotry first hand - it doesn't exist/it's not a problem etc.

It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, except when people make comments about the other half. That makes the blood boil, the heart beat insufferably and the anger rise within :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

An Australian girl once asked me was I catholic or protestant. I replied catholic. She said ugh I hate u guys I prefer protestants and I replied I prefer you guys in black and white stripes so I don't need to hear your accent to determine you're a mongrel convict. She soon shut up

I didn't mean it but I have a low tolerance for people like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Actually I was thinking that a march in England commemorating a hunger striker was a bit like the love Ulster parades.

Thanks for that, may come in handy that

• Advertisement

The Post is the largest Irish paper in Britain and is often used by the government and the GAA to carry ads and whatnot. How is that comparable to Stormfront?

No sense whatsoever.

The link that you posted above is the one I meant to link just to clear that up. Not the link to the Irish Post. Obvious, big difference. You linked back to a rag imo.

Advertisement