Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever experienced hibernophobia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

old hippy wrote: »
    The Irish Post has served the Irish community in Britain with much acclaim for many years now and has always been well regarded. I wrote a few features for it myself, years back.

To compare it to Stormfront is like comparing a fish to a bicycle.
    FTA69 wrote: »

I meant the link to the attached. The comparison between the two is like a fish to a bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

gallag wrote: »
    Paddy goes into a John Lewis department store and asks the shopkeeper, "Excuse me sir, but do you sell potato clocks?"The shopkeeper looks at him and says, "Are you taking the piss? We sell cuckoo clocks, carriage clocks, grandfather clocks, alarm clocks... what the feck is a potato clock?"And Paddy says, "I don't know, but I start my new job at nine tomorrow, and the wife said 'You'd better get a potato clock.'"

I have to laugh at you making all these irish jokes and potato famine jokes as if you are from a different island. Your people suffered in the famine too. Apart from the 800,000 unionists up north pretty much the rest of the world considers you irish too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Weathering wrote: »
    An Australian girl once asked me was I catholic or protestant. I replied catholic. She said ugh I hate u guys I prefer protestants and I replied I prefer you guys in black and white stripes so I don't need to hear your accent to determine you're a mongrel convict. She soon shut up

I didn't mean it but I have a low tolerance for people like that

Ironically, I see no difference between her sectariansim and your bigotted remark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

woodoo wrote: »

I have to laugh at you making all these irish jokes and potato famine jokes as if you are from a different island. Your people suffered in the famine too. Apart from the 800,000 unionists up north pretty much the rest of the world considers you irish too.
    What famine joke? You really do try to be insulted lol. And I consider my self to be irish, British and irish, like we have British scotts and British welsh and British English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I wear a black armband everyday to commemorate our famine fallen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I wear a black armband everyday to commemorate our famine fallen.
    You are lower than bigots in England who try to insult Irish people about hundred of thousands of Irish people who died in the famine,makes me sad to think of the type of "Irish"people like you who think you might be able to ingratiate yourself with certain sections of English people by making such remarks,decent people must think you are a little disturbed.

tipptom wrote: »
    You are lower than bigots in England who try to insult Irish people about hundred of thousands of Irish people who died in the famine,makes me sad to think of the type of "Irish"people like you who think you might be able to ingratiate yourself with certain sections of English people by making such remarks,decent people must think you are a little disturbed.

Well, decent people seemed to get turned off by my 800 years! t-shirt but Tiocfaidh ár lá and all that.

Well, decent people seemed to get turned off by my 800 years! t-shirt but Tiocfaidh ár lá and all that.
    O-kaay:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Do "decent people" read/post on boards.ie?

old hippy wrote: »
    Do "decent people" read/post on boards.ie?
    Yes,along with with plenty of bigots who are Irish who make comments that BNP members would not even make in public for fear they would be arrested, but it must give the BNP and the like a great fillup to their "cause" to hear "Irish" people making these comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Ulster Unionists are possibly the worst humans in existence.

Yes,along with with plenty of bigots who are Irish who make comments that BNP members would not even make in public for fear they would be arrested, but it must give the BNP and the like a great fillup to their "cause" to hear "Irish" people making these comments.

I'm getting very upset by what you're implying about me. I shout 'Sinn Fein!' and 'IRA!' during the Fields of Athenry just like everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

jugger0 wrote: »
    Ulster Unionists are possibly the worst humans in existence.

Why do you think that?

Its pretty embarrassing that some irish people align themselves with anti irish british people joking about the irish famine. Seems to have gone over their head that its not the english ancestors who suffered it was the irish. Possibly blood relations of their own.

Its like if something terrible happened in your family and all the neighbours are joking about it. And you start telling the same jokes, too stupid to realise the joke is on your own family

I was i a bar in England a few years ago watching the rugby and some Australian guy behind us started shouting potato, he kept at it until 2 of us went up to confront him about it. He shut up for a while and then started up about a half hour later. We just left then.

Its a bit silly. Irish people don't think of the famine every time they eat a potato. That potato potato **** Kieth Lemon started up again does my head in.

Its pretty embarrassing that some irish people align themselves with anti irish british people joking about the irish famine. Seems to have gone over their head that its not the english ancestors who suffered it was the irish. Possibly blood relations of their own.

Its like if something terrible happened in your family and all the neighbours are joking about it. And you start telling the same jokes, too stupid to realise the joke is on your own family

It's actually nothing like that at all. Making a joke about the famine or the easter rising or any historical Irish event doesn't make you some sort of Irish Uncle Tom, trying to make jolly for your British overlords. To suggest that is ridiculous. Just because I might choose to poke fun at Irish history or certain elements of Irish culture, doesn't mean I'm trying to pretend to be anything other than Irish. I'm more than happy to be Irish, I just choose not to be po-faced about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

who is making jokes about the famine?

I'm getting very upset by what you're implying about me. I shout 'Sinn Fein!' and 'IRA!' during the Fields of Athenry just like everybody else.
    You sound like a long time member of C18,go on the soccer forum and make fun of the Munich air disaster,history and heritage, and make fun of the holocaust,and tell them not to be so po-faced while you are at it.

It's actually nothing like that at all. Making a joke about the famine or the easter rising or any historical Irish event doesn't make you some sort of Irish Uncle Tom, trying to make jolly for your British overlords. To suggest that is ridiculous. Just because I might choose to poke fun at Irish history or certain elements of Irish culture, doesn't mean I'm trying to pretend to be anything other than Irish. I'm more than happy to be Irish, I just choose not to be po-faced about it.

It has seeped into the irish mindset through UK TV most people don't even realise that. You wouldn't get too many people in Israel taking the piss out of the holocaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

I take the piss out of the fact that we starved with an ocean full of fish out there.

• Advertisement

You sound like a long time member of C18,go on the soccer forum and make fun of the Munich air disaster,history and heritage, and make fun of the holocaust,and tell them not to be so po-faced while you are at it.

And you seem like someone that is incapable of engaging in rational thought. What could possible lead you to believe I'd support the far right from what I've written. I think you need a good cup of common sense and a hug.

It has seeped into the irish mindset through UK TV most people don't even realise that.

A load of cobblers.
    You wouldn't get too many people in Israel taking the piss out of the holocaust.

http://jwa.org/blog/holocausthumor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Of course mocking the famine makes you anti-Irish, as would mocking the holocaust make you an anti-Semite even if you were Jewish.

Mocking either is psychotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    I take the piss out of the fact that we starved with an ocean full of fish out there.

That's also derived from far right English bigotry. ( the paddys died because they couldn't fish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Im sure if you think about it long enough it should start to manifest

Of course mocking the famine makes you anti-Irish, as would mocking the holocaust make you an anti-Semite even if you were Jewish.

Mocking either is psychotic.

That is completely ridiculous

Take this example:

In it, the Rubberbandits mock several events in Irish history, including the famine. The point is not to be anti-Irish but to satirise the ignorant and uninformed attitudes and opinions that surround Irish Republicanism. Now you can take it at face value and called them hate-filled psychotic bigots but that would be entirely stupid.

That's also derived from far right English bigotry. ( the paddys died because they couldn't fish).

They died because they planted one variety of one crop for years.

They died because they planted one variety of one crop for years.

That's not it at all.

That's not it at all.

If you're referring to the lack of suitable land due to colonialism and indeed market demand for cattle as well as the poor socioeconomic relations in Ireland, I'm aware of these.

I admit it can seem chicken and egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I still don't get why it's being called a "phobia". The Independent piece doesn't use that word. Is anyone ever scared of the Irish?

Besides, what does it help to moan about it here? Stereotypes (negative or otherwise) don't just appear out of nowhere. The "drunk paddy" stereotype has a basis in reality here, just as it does in Australia or Finland, but not in (say) China or Canada. You want the stereotypes to go away, so stop acting in ways that reinforce the stereotypes.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

If you're referring to the lack of suitable land due to colonialism and indeed market demand for cattle as well as the poor socioeconomic relations in Ireland, I'm aware of these.

What about the lack of an export ban in 1840s, which had been put in place in the 1780s? They were growing more than one crop on their lands but only the potatoes were being used to feed families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I really would suggest you read a little more,or if it's something that sounds like "trawling "(pun),then you've hooked (pun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why would anyone be afraid of winter?*

*Hibernia = Winterland in Latin.

And you seem like someone that is incapable of engaging in rational thought. What could possible lead you to believe I'd support the far right from what I've written. I think you need a good cup of common sense and a hug.
    I can not see why you would say we all chant Tiofaidh ar La after the fields of Athenry or their is an IRA recruitment in the scouts or your sarcastic comments about the famine,what is the point,these are things the far right and Willie Fraser come out with and enjoy repeating that Irish people agree with them,if you cant see that,ypu need to get some common sense and something the opposite of a hug.
    Hey,as much as I disagree with some of your posts and your arguments about humour,I can see some sort of argument for everything being subject to humour.I think Steve Coogan done a good job about the famine on it on Alan Partridge but it really makes little sense to these far right groups because they are just not intelligent enough to get that(A la David Cameron and the song Eton Rifles),on the contrary,it leads them to believe that even the Irish agree with them,hence the big drive to recruit Irish people in recent years.
    I can really see why that is because there is a substantial amount of young Irish people now that echo some of our medias line that it was all our fault we starved(to thick to fish and the lazy Irish Catholic relying on one type of potato}and Paddy started all the violence down through the years by not appreciating our neighbours generosity while he was in Ireland.

I can not see why you would say we all chant Tiofaidh ar La after the fields of Athenry or their is an IRA recruitment in the scouts or your sarcastic comments about the famine,what is the point,these are things the far right and Willie Fraser come out with and enjoy repeating that Irish people agree with them,if you cant see that,ypu need to get some common sense and something the opposite of a hug.
    Hey,as much as I disagree with some of your posts and your arguments about humour,I can see some sort of argument for everything being subject to humour.I think Steve Coogan done a good job about the famine on it on Alan Partridge but it really makes little sense to these far right groups because they are just not intelligent enough to get that(A la David Cameron and the song Eton Rifles),on the contrary,it leads them to believe that even the Irish agree with them,hence the big drive to recruit Irish people in recent years.
    I can really see why that is because there is a substantial amount of young Irish people now that echo some of our medias line that it was all our fault we starved(to thick to fish and the lazy Irish Catholic relying on one type of potato}and Paddy started all the violence down through the years by not appreciating our neighbours generosity while he was in Ireland.

Again, because for some reason I need to re-iterate this point for you, if I or somebody else jokes about Irish republicanism or history, it is not automatically because they are a Unionist. If I mock republicanism it's because I feel that what it represents today has nothing to do with my life. Maybe you find something to respect about paramilitary activity or the ill formed man in the pub spouting **** about Irish oppression by the British while wearing a Liverpool top, I don't.

Everything and anything is open to being poked fun at, it's the intent that is the important thing between whether it is purely to take the piss or to be bigoted. Father Ted poked fun at Irish people and Irish stereotypes - were they being bigoted?

And what media line are you talking about that says it's our fault we starved. I've never once read anything like this in the Irish press.

• Advertisement

Actually, I would see it more as people taking the piss out of those that harp on about a tragedy that happened 170 years ago as if it was yesterday.

Actually, I would see it more as people taking the piss out of those that harp on about a tragedy that happened 170 years ago as if it was yesterday.
    The only reason the famine keeps coming up is because it has become something that is used to try and insult irish people about how many of us died during that period and should be celebrated that so many Irish were taken out by starvation.When I lived in England during the 70s,80s and 90s it was something that was very little used by extremists against Irish people but seems to be something that has caught traction in Scotland and has moved around the world as something that is ok to shout at Irish people.Forgive me for not seeing the houmor in it.

Where does your self appointed timeline end?,is it ok to take the piss out of Jewish people and chant "gas" at them for harping on about it as you put it,because it happened 70 years ago as if it was yesterday.
    t
    The only people harping on about it here are people making fun out of it and goading for a reaction.

The only reason the famine keeps coming up is because it has become something that is used to try and insult irish people about how many of us died during that period and should be celebrated that so many Irish were taken out by starvation.When I lived in England during the 70s,80s and 90s it was something that was very little used by extremists against Irish people but seems to be something that has caught traction in Scotland and has moved around the world as something that is ok to shout at Irish people.Forgive me for not seeing the houmor in it.

Where does your self appointed timeline end?,is it ok to take the piss out of Jewish people and chant "gas" at them for harping on about it as you put it,because it happened 70 years ago as if it was yesterday.
    t
    The only people harping on about it here are people making fun out of it and goading for a reaction.

People shouting potatoes aren't referring to the famine. It is stereotyping, the same way the Germans get called krauts (as in sauerkraut) or the French get called frogs.

The English get called roast beef by the French and limeys by the Americans for similar reasons.

I would suggest 99% of people shouting potato haven't even heard of the famine.

Again, because for some reason I need to re-iterate this point for you, if I or somebody else jokes about Irish republicanism or history, it is not automatically because they are a Unionist. If I mock republicanism it's because I feel that what it represents today has nothing to do with my life. Maybe you find something to respect about paramilitary activity or the ill formed man in the pub spouting **** about Irish oppression by the British while wearing a Liverpool top, I don't.

Everything and anything is open to being poked fun at, it's the intent that is the important thing between whether it is purely to take the piss or to be bigoted. Father Ted poked fun at Irish people and Irish stereotypes - were they being bigoted?

And what media line are you talking about that says it's our fault we starved. I've never once read anything like this in the Irish press.
    Why do you need re-iterate something which I never said,where have I said you are a Unionist?.I know plenty of Unionists and they have more respect for 100,000s of Irish people who died during the Famine than you.
    And this same old tired bullsh*t about every Irishman spouting provoism while wearing a premiership top,get something original for yourself instead of lifting the same old quotes of the Sunday Independant.

People shouting potatoes aren't referring to the famine. It is stereotyping, the same way the Germans get called krauts (as in sauerkraut) or the French get called frogs.

The English get called roast beef by the French and limeys by the Americans for similar reasons.

I would suggest 99% of people shouting potato haven't even heard of the famine.
    You obviously never been to football matches in Scotland or England.

• Advertisement

No, never.

LoL.

Why do you need re-iterate something which I never said,where have I said you are a Unionist?.I know plenty of Unionists and they have more respect for 100,000s of Irish people who died during the Famine than you.
    And this same old tired bullsh*t about every Irishman spouting provoism while wearing a premiership top,get something original for yourself instead of lifting the same old quotes of the Sunday Independant.

Well, you keep implying that everything I say is the same as what Combat 18 or prominent Unionist would come out with. I'm starting to feel terribly victimised by you. Does that make me a truer Irish person in your eyes? Or maybe you can fill me in on what you think makes a decent Irish person?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

FTA69 wrote: »
    I've been living in England for a few years and unfortunately anti-Irish sentiment does exist. Any Irish person who has lived here for a length of time may not experience outright hostility (although they will eventually), but they certainly will experience patronising and belittling behaviour based on their nationality or accent at some stage.

Like all forms of racism, anti-Irish sentiment can take many forms; some subtle and some not so subtle. The far-right anti-everyone brigade do exist in England and more than once have I encountered it. It's also important to remember that this particular strain isn't limited to the poorer working class but also the "Middle England" crowd who are suspicious of anything that isn't white British. Similarly many people will engage in p*ss-taking over your accent, making crude imitations in faux-paddy tones or insinuating you're some sort of loveable gobsh*te. I've been in pubs and restaurants and actually had complete strangers sitting next to me saying "potato potato" to each other and p*ssing themselves laughing. When I first came here at age 19 I was at a party and the minute I opened my mouth people started bursting their arse laughing at the way I spoke, something that isn't the most pleasant of experiences to say the least.

On top of the above you'll often get English people who simply don't get the fact that Ireland isn't a part of the UK, or that Ireland isn't a nation in its own right. This behaviour is a product of a centuries-long attitude of superiority that unfortunately exists whereupon the south of England is the centre of the universe and Scotland, Ireland etc are simply extensions of that.

Interestingly enough an article about this was published in the Irish Times and the comments section was full of claims about how anti-Irish sentiment doesn't exist and everyone just has a giant chip on their shoulder etc. This is b*llocks to say the least and people pretending there aren't swathes of British society that look down on us are bloody deluded to say the least.

I think the above is untrue, from my point of view anyway. Obviously it's your own experience. I lived in England and they only people I'm wary of from a xenophobic standpoint are white uneducated people from a certain areas, over a certain age.

The younger people are cool and you don't get it from them at all. Another person was talking about Indians not liking Irish. Again very untrue from my perspective. Maybe the Muslim Pakistanis may not like our drinking culture but I've never experienced this from them (though I'm not in contact with them really)

I have experienced the odd "Irish comment" but that's very rare. I find that it comes mostly from older people or young white working class people, the type of people that say "pacifically" instead of "specifically", which says it all really.

One thing I do remember is if someone says "yeah but you're Irish" as a retort in a bantering match then they have lost. It's probably the lamest comeback there is, so if you hear that, you're winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

possibly the funniest post i've seen on boards.

summerskin wrote: »

possibly the funniest post i've seen on boards.

I can see his point though.

Last game I was at we spent five minutes abusing the board of directors, five minutes abusing Southampton and the rest of the game having a good old laugh at the Irish famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Some Red Heads are nice :confused:
    She's a ride. If only she had a soul...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think football matches are the worst possible way to gauge public opinion towards other nationalities. Case in point, Rovers v Linfield last week.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I worked for a number of years in the UK and around the world with British lads. In terms of anti Irish experiences:

I had Rangers/Loyalist chants directed at me by a couple of Scottish colleagues (I have zero interest in football, so that one was odd).
    A drunk Geordie colleague telling me "you Irish and your fcuking potato famine mentality"
    In one Scottish pub we drank in an English colleague kindly recommended that he go to the bar as my accent wouldn't be too welcome.
    Plenty of banter along the lines of "thick mick", "paddy load" (carrying too much and dropping it, i.e. too lazy and stupid to do it over several trips), not pronouncing th's correctly and lots of imitating Irish accents.

Interestingly on a number of (mainly British) specialist forums that I frequent, when there are jokes threads, the quantity of Irish jokes can be quite surprising. But no sign of Jewish, Black, Asian jokes etc. But many British do still see the Irish as fair game to stereo type. #

Abroad I have also had a couple of Norwegians equate Irish with being Catholic and this being a very negative thing and quite a few continentals will lump Irish in with British as in "you're all the same". It's never popular when you say, Ah sure Dutch/German, that's the same too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I was in heathrow airport just talking to a friend and I could see a security guard turn around when he heard us taking probly because he heard are irish accents. he told us t follow him and he got some device and scanned our bags. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was looking for traces of explosive material. he must have taught we were in the Ira or something just because we were irish.

I was in heathrow airport just talking to a friend and I could see a security guard turn around when he heard us taking probly because he heard are irish accents. he told us t follow him and he got some device and scanned our bags. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was looking for traces of explosive material. he must have taught we were in the Ira or something just because we were irish.

Thank God they only do that to Muslims now…

• Advertisement
Advertisement