Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Kill on River Dodder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Talked to a senior IFI guy a few minutes ago. Fish killed over a few hundred yard stretch and they have identified the source

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Hides factory? Is it still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

jkchambers wrote: »
    Talked to a senior IFI guy a few minutes ago. Fish killed over a few hundred yard stretch and they have identified the source

Any idea if this is likely to have any further adverse effects very far downstream of this stretch? I know it's early to be speculating at this stage, but how long does it normally take for a river like this to recover from such an event (with proper intervention and management)?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

jkchambers wrote: »
    thanks for the info john

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

From the bridge at old bawn down as far as firhouse school ( directly across towards river) is an absolute disgrace.
    Burned out mopeds, trolleys , rubbish , oil drums and empty cans
    The board have done great work on the dodder but I feel this part has always been filthy and I have said it to bailiff in bohernabreena reservoir and he said they have been asked countless amount of times to clean it up and nothing has been done
    The river is in good nick after the park in avonbeg/seskin view road but from there to old bawn bridge is a disgrace
    Was great spot 10 year ago but gone downhill since
    I also think from the day they put fish in the river there should be bailiffs or some authority on the river patrolling it and reason I say this is few year ago I helped stock the river and within two hours after stocking there was people fishing and they were reported but nothing done about it
    I'm sure some people who fish it regularly would volunteer to help a few hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

I also think from the day they put fish in the river there should be bailiffs or some authority on the river patrolling it and reason I say this is few year ago I helped stock the river and within two hours after stocking there was people fishing and they were reported but nothing done about it
    I'm sure some people who fish it regularly would volunteer to help a few hours
    Are you having a laugh wouldn't bailiffs check for permits that could put some people of the river;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

IFI Press Release this afternoon
    River Dodder Fish Kill Investigation Continues
    IFI staff are continuing their investigation of an incident on the River Dodder in the Tallaght area, Co. Dublin which resulted in fish mortalities over approximately a 2km stretch from above Old Bawn Bridge downstream to Firhouse Weir. IFI staff immediately initiated an investigation in response to a complaint of dead fish at Old Bawn Bridge at lunch time on Friday (March 1st, 2013). Adult and juvenile Brown trout, in addition to Lamprey and Stoneloach were killed. While the precise number cannot be confirmed at this time it is likely that the final number of mortalities will be in excess of 500 trout in addition to significant numbers of other fish species. Live fish were recorded immediately upstream of the affected area and immediately downstream of Firhouse weir following the event. Samples have been taken for analysis and IFI are following a definite line of enquiry regarding the source of the contamination which resulted in the fish kill.
    The investigation is continuing.

Didn't know there was lamprey in the dodder

Will this effect the start of season on paddys day and the stocking of the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Any idea if this is likely to have any further adverse effects very far downstream of this stretch? I know it's early to be speculating at this stage, but how long does it normally take for a river like this to recover from such an event (with proper intervention and management)?
    The dodder has gone through this many times before but has always bounced back.
    Its a smashing river but the biggest danger to the dodder is local council turning it into a canal and removing any features in the interest of flood prevention.

natdog wrote: »
    The dodder has gone through this many times before but has always bounced back.
    Its a smashing river but the biggest danger to the dodder is local council turning it into a canal and removing any features in the interest of flood prevention.

But will all these fish being killed hold the season back till they figure out what is killing them
    No point stocking the river if them fish will die as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

But will all these fish being killed hold the season back till they figure out what is killing them
    No point stocking the river if them fish will die as well

I would be confident that it's known precisely what caused the fish kill, and that it has been dealt with by now (although the paperwork/ legal process, if neccessary will be ongoing).

The days of restocking/ stocking rivers is gone or almost gone. Current thinking revolves around instream enhancement to improve the habitat and regenerate the indigenous population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Bizzum wrote: »
    The days of restocking/ stocking rivers is gone or almost gone. Current thinking revolves around instream enhancement to improve the habitat and regenerate the indigenous population.

In the case of the Dodder, I would say that the indigenous population is the last restocking.

Can anyone confirm if they are going to stock it or not because of the fish kill

Anyone know what's happening
    Was in fishing shop at old mill earlier and he said the fish that were poisoned were stocked fish also and that was two weeks ago
    The lads that stock it usually only stock it a week before season starts
    So what is happening on paddys day is it gonna be fished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Anyone know what's happening
    Was in fishing shop at old mill earlier and he said the fish that were poisoned were stocked fish also and that was two weeks ago
    The lads that stock it usually only stock it a week before season starts
    So what is happening on paddys day is it gonna be fished?

Sounds to me like you should ring IFI Blackrock. They should have the answers you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

The Dodder will fish on St. Patricks day.
    There are fish being stocked today/tomorrow.
    This information is from the club committee.
    Enjoy your fishing on Sunday.

After being on phone yesterday' to the bailiff The dodder is fishable from mortans down to rings end

@chopperdog
    I appreciate the info but probably not wise to e telling people when fish are stocked as anyone could be reading this
    This is the dodders biggest problem
    People fishing it before season Starts
    Atb

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Dodderangler,
    Two posts above you yourself have posted that the river is always stocked the week before the opening....

Every dog on the street is aware of the Dodder stocking policy.

Patrolling and vigilance is the only way to keep the yahoos off the river, hence the late stocking date.

Again, happy fishing.

I understand the culprit is none other than SDCC. Hopefully that means compensation quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

The council at it again i see!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

I understand the culprit is none other than SDCC. Hopefully that means compensation quickly.

So what is the toxin?

Chlorine

Advertisement