Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest LEGO Purchases

Options

Comments

jrby wrote: »
    you'll have to stick a pic up!

Here you go. There are some great batcave MOCs on Eurobricks that inspired the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jrby wrote: »
    how much cheaper, if it is, to bricklink a set, 10% 20% or more?

Spent a few hours on excel on what it would cost to get a 100% accurate Green Grocer 10185. Buying as many bricks new from Lego and the rest from bricklink the total was a whopping 845 euro!!!

This was a set that sold for 160ish euro. Over half that is from bricklink on less than 170 rare bricks. The other 2000 and something bricks could be bought cheaper from bricklink. You could make major savings with part substitutions. Bricklinking a set myself at the moment and I've been doing a lot of changes. If I wanted the original two doors it'd cost 60-70 euro. I'm going to change colour and spend a euro on the two. I didn't compromise on one are - 11 white skis. Almost 40 euro. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brawn Joe Black

Hi. I also collect Lego Modular i have the new ones but the 1st 3 sets. Market Street, Cafe Corner, and Green Grocer i do not have because they are just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

To me Market Street is 'non-canon' as far as modulars go. Like many others I don't really consider it official, or even particularly attractive.

Speaking of modulars, Palace Cinema arrived today and I've just cracked into it. My street now has the Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Town Hall, and the Palace Cinema. Getting busy!

To me Market Street is 'non-canon' as far as modulars go. Like many others I don't really consider it official, or even particularly attractive.

Speaking of modulars, Palace Cinema arrived today and I've just cracked into it. My street now has the Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Town Hall, and the Palace Cinema. Getting busy!

Yip. It's a fan designed model that went out under the Factory label. It's really at odds with the rest of the series. I've no intention of getting it. 27 pieces to get before I can start building my Cafe Corner.

• Advertisement

3 lego Bricks and Pieces, 3 Lego Pick a Bricks and 7 Bricklink orders (final one just arrived) and I have everything I need to start building Cafe Corner. Everything, except the base plate, which I said I'd pick up in the local toy shop.

3 lego Bricks and Pieces, 3 Lego Pick a Bricks and 7 Bricklink orders (final one just arrived) and I have everything I need to start building Cafe Corner. Everything, except the base plate, which I said I'd pick up in the local toy shop.

You mention above that you made some parts substitutions - can I ask what it set you back in the end?

You mention above that you made some parts substitutions - can I ask what it set you back in the end?

Not as many substitutions as I thought I would...

Base Plate is one actually. Could have easily have gotten the original 32x16 (x2) instead of the 32x32, and for probably the same money but decided why would you. Windows were the main area.

When Cafe Corner was designed, lego still hadn't produced a 1x2x3 window frame yet, so if you look at the pictures of the 1st floor you'll see the window is made up of two wall panels. These are massively expensive. There's a new side reinforced panel that looks a lot worse, but is readily available. I instead went with the new windows and they look far better.

Windows on the second floor. These have been replaced by a newer design. Again originals are super expensive. So again, I went for the new design, these require newer window panels as well.

The light blue grey door (right opening) that costs 40euro. Bought the left hand side version. Still a rip-off at 8 euro, but felt it needed the colour.

There's 4 light blue grey turntables. You'll be lucky to get these for under 20 euro each. But, you can replace 3 of them with a 2x2 jumper with stud. For the final one I bought a sealed poly-bag (33052) for 9 euro that contained the part.

The bin. At least 5 euro for the original or 45cent for the newer colour. Another easy choice.

There's a few more I'm not thinking of. And I could have made more if I'm honest, didn't really plan this out too well. Will need to tot up everything, but I did use 100 euro worth of VIP points as well. Including that I'm guessing 400 euro ish at least.

Will throw up pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

This arrived this morning, leaving for work was difficult!

I've moved to London, meaning that I've had to temporarily abandon my whole collection and start again. One of the first things I did was get to work starting a new modular street :)

6ww3ba_thumb.jpg

(Click for bigger)

Living near a LEGO Store is great, but dangerous :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finding space for a collection in London was good going, you must have a good job...

Thargor wrote: »
    Finding space for a collection in London was good going, you must have a good job...

I'm doing okay, but not earning nearly enough to go to the LEGO Store every time the notion comes into my head :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I'm doing okay, but not earning nearly enough to go to the LEGO Store every time the notion comes into my head :p

They're evil! Last year if I had a tough work week, I'd drive up and leave with a load. Just bough the quik-e-mark. So many stickers but such a lovely build!

I always refer to it as my English Lego and my Irish Lego. I definitely have too much of both :(

This took a bit longer than expected. Started building after my last post, only to discover that I was missed three lots. All extremely common, but still took a week for them to arrive. Anyways...

IMG_1178_zps9kxg1xdh.jpg

All together...

IMG_1182_zpsudhnwyhk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Really nice collection. I built the Tumbler and Red Five X-wing during the week, both great sets once completed, but need to find somewhere to put them. Have to leave building my UCS Slave 1 until I get into a new house with a bit more room.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Excellent work - going to do the Green Grocer next?

Excellent work - going to do the Green Grocer next?

Eventually. My last three Bricklink orders contained whatever was available for it. Only 300 pieces in total, but it's a start. I can't see myself properly getting into this year. CC took a ridiculous amount of time; a lot of that was down to lack of organisation and inexperience and I kinda need a break from it.

What prompted me to start CC was the reemergence of the dark red slopes. These were hitting 4 euro a piece before Lego started manufacturing more of them again. I'm not sure I'd have bothered (for a while) otherwise. Likewise GG has those 1x2 sand green bricks with groove. 58 are needed. Again 4ish euro a pop. Cant justify that. If they start making more it might be game on, otherwise, I'll have to figure out do I want to change the buildings colour or substitute masonry blocks.

For the modulars, my next goal is probably a modified Detective Office. First time I'll alter ones appearance, but I feel it badly needs it. I'll also keep an eye on the price of the older winter sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This took a bit longer than expected. Started building after my last post, only to discover that I was missed three lots. All extremely common, but still took a week for them to arrive. Anyways...

IMG_1178_zps9kxg1xdh.jpg

All together...

IMG_1182_zpsudhnwyhk.jpg

Which one of these was your favourite build? They look fantastic btw

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Which one of these was your favourite build? They look fantastic btw

Thanks. I'd probably say Parisian Restaurant, followed by Pet Shop. Excluding Cafe Corner owing to the lack of interior, I'd have to say Grand Emporium is the dullest. I'd still recommend it, but the interior is a bit disappointing and there's not much variety in the overall build.

Out of the five I own, Pet Shop was my favourite build. I'd go in the order of:

1) Pet Shop
    2) Fire Brigade
    3) Palace Cinema
    4) Grand Emporium
    5) Town Hall

That said, Town Hall is so imposing when it's finished that it compensates for the lack of an exciting build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hi all, quick question. I have the opportunity to buy the Batman Arkham Asylum Breakout set 10937 new for 80 euros. Do you think it would be a good investment considering it is now retired, or is it a good set to build - I've heard it actually looks very small when built? Cheers!

Arciphel wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question. I have the opportunity to buy the Batman Arkham Asylum Breakout set 10937 new for 80 euros. Do you think it would be a good investment considering it is now retired, or is it a good set to build - I've heard it actually looks very small when built? Cheers!

Couldnt go wrong for that price, just for the amount of pieces alone its great value

Arciphel wrote: »

If you pass, I'll take it! I built mine over Christmas and it is pretty small when built and for the price I was a little disappointed but it looks great on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just got it today it was still there. Now to build or to hoard!

New summer sets are in Smyth. I picked up 76036 from the new Ultimate Spiderman wave. Has anyone else noticed Smyths outrageous prices lately??

New summer sets are in Smyth. I picked up 76036 from the new Ultimate Spiderman wave. Has anyone else noticed Smyths outrageous prices lately??

City Square 40 euro more expensive than Lego.com seems excessive. They're expensive across the line now.

Is lego .com the cheapest place to get lego, is it free post to ireland?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

In my experience yes, except when there are sales & deals on in places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is lego .com the cheapest place to get lego, is it free post to ireland?
    Think your spend has to be over either € 55 or € 65 to qualify for free delivery to Ireland.

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    Think your spend has to be over either € 55 or € 65 to qualify for free delivery to Ireland.

Has to be over €55 which isn't too bad. The only problem is I find the postage pretty slow.

Advertisement