Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English

Options
  • 02-03-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

In Leaving Cert now just wondering if anyone could help ? I want to know a bit about New Media and English in UL and Journalism, like course content, how many hours a week and if you are able to go into sports journalism after the 4 year course ?? Any information would be great, thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

12-14 hours a week for both courses

There is no hard-fast rule for what you need to work in sport journalism- you could do either course. You do a 6 month work placement in both courses which could be sports journalism related. Outside of this you need to have a portfolio of work and contacts...! Both courses also have an Erasmus placement for 1 semester (abroad) which is mandatory but it is well worth it. The good thing about doing New Media + English (I'm in 3rd yr in this course) is that there are far more careers open to you if you change your mind. 1st year is very dull though, the modules are awful. They are much better as the years go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BarrysTeaBag

Is it a tough course ? I hope to get a B2/B1 in English in the leaving cert ? (higher level)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Is it a tough course ? I hope to get a B2/B1 in English in the leaving cert ? (higher level)

No, not really.

If you have an interest in English that is good, However, and I cant stress this enough, as regards english in college, you need to forget everything you ever learned about english in school- it is rather different in many ways- you are left to think for yourself and to do things for yourself (though I guess this is the case with all courses) The english modules are taken chronologically, that's why first year is so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

I'm in first year English right now. I quite like it, though I'm looking forward to 2nd year as I actually have a choice of module. This year I've taken Critical Practice 1 and 2 (first was American lit, second is Renaissance), The Irish Literary Revival and Restoration and Augustan Lit. All the lecturers have been nice.

I found it a little hard to adjust to essay writing because it's so different to what they teach you in secondary school (in college you don't give your personal feelings etc) but once you get used to it, it's grand. Depending on the course you go for, you'll also have modules like sociology, history, cultural studies.

Advertisement