Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up as a sole trade while unemployed

Options
  • 02-03-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys,

I've seen a few threads similar to my question but I just have a few other questions to ask.

I'm a web/graphic designer and have been freelancing the last couple of months. I've just been contacted by some larger businesses and I know they'll want a person who is registered for VAT so I want to set myself up.

First step is to register through the CRO which I'll do this weekend, do you get a VAT number after you register? Do I have to set up a business bank account then separate to my personal one?

What way does VRT/Tax work for me then, I'm only going to be part time freelancing as I'm on the look out for a full time job so my income will probably be under 15k this year.

Also I'm getting jobseekers benefit at the minute, how would registering as a sole trade affect this, do I have to earn a certain amount before it makes a difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I would assume that you're entitled to nothing as I understand it self employed people are entitled to no social welfare whatsoever regardless how little they make. So can you make a living out of your freelancing? Take in account waiting 3 months or more to get paid if you get paid at all. Not easy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 renegade909

I thought it would be means tested depending on how much work you're making. It might be a good idea to go to my local welfare office and just ask them what would happen if I became self employed? I'd definitely need my jobseekers for the next while though till I get on my feet and regular work coming in.

I'll ring the local enterprise board as well for advise on grants and funding. Maybe someone has experience with this as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Talk to welfare about this

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx

They'll put you on the right track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

You dodn't need to register for VAT if you're under the threshold, I think it's 37.5k in a 12 month period, but double check that! There is a difference between registering as a sole trader and registering for VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SplangeNut

You can be engaged in self-employment every day and still get Jobseeker’s Allowance – provided your overall income stays below a certain amount. The number of days you are engaged in self-employment is not relevant. You could qualify for Jobseeker’s Allowance even if you are engaged in self-employment every day.

http://www.selfemployedsupports.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement