Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Irish grammar?

Options
  • 02-03-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I don't understand how i'm still in HL Irish considering i didn't pay attention in primary school and for my mocks i failed both papers and i only managed to pass because of orals. Right now my irish level is that of a third class student. Help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Concentrate in class
    Go to the Gaeltacht
    Listen to Irish Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Concentrate in class
    Go to the Gaeltacht
    Listen to Irish Radio
    Go to the Gaeltacht between now and June?

My advice is start from scratch OP, get a new copybook and just start from there.

For the aurals and orals I'd advise listening to Irish radio or something or maybe watch TG4. It's best to hear the different dialects of the language. You could always purchase some books, like An dTuigeann Tú Anois É for the Aural or some LC Ordinary Level Oral Book for the Orals.

For the Writing and Reading, I'd highly recommend getting the textbook Scaoil Amach Arís É 3. It's brilliant. It has all the vocabulary you could ever need for JC Irish in one section, divided into topics. It then has various comprehensions, essays, poetry, etc. on all these topics for practice and getting used to seeing these words in other sections of the exam. The book also has brilliant sections on answering the Composition Question and Paper Two Questions. It's grammar section is okay too.

For Grammar maybe you could buy some Grammar guide. I wouldn't be able to recommend any in particular, as my teacher's actually teaching us grammar, but there's plenty out there. Go for one that teaches it in English rather than Irish. It's generally easier to understand the rules and what-not that way.

Best of Luck! You'll get there eventually with a bit of dedication and work :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Go to the Gaeltacht between now and June?

My advice is start from scratch OP, get a new copybook and just start from there.

For the aurals and orals I'd advise listening to Irish radio or something or maybe watch TG4. It's best to hear the different dialects of the language. You could always purchase some books, like An dTuigeann Tú Anois É for the Aural or some LC Ordinary Level Oral Book for the Orals.

For the Writing and Reading, I'd highly recommend getting the textbook Scaoil Amach Arís É 3. It's brilliant. It has all the vocabulary you could ever need for JC Irish in one section, divided into topics. It then has various comprehensions, essays, poetry, etc. on all these topics for practice and getting used to seeing these words in other sections of the exam. The book also has brilliant sections on answering the Composition Question and Paper Two Questions. It's grammar section is okay too.

For Grammar maybe you could buy some Grammar guide. I wouldn't be able to recommend any in particular, as my teacher's actually teaching us grammar, but there's plenty out there. Go for one that teaches it in English rather than Irish. It's generally easier to understand the rules and what-not that way.

Best of Luck! You'll get there eventually with a bit of dedication and work :)

Well he's too late to start over now, go to the gaeltacht in 5th year some time. Don't expect magic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Well he's too late to start over now, go to the gaeltacht in 5th year some time. Don't expect magic
    They have around 3 months until their Irish exam. It's never too late, to do some work and improve.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    They have around 3 months until their Irish exam. It's never too late, to do some work and improve.

Yeah sure he can improve his grammar but I'm doubting that he'll finish an entire irish course in 3-4 months. I took us 3 years, and unless you're a genius there's no way you'll finish it unless you devote your next 3 months to learning irish vocab. I'm not trying to be an ass but it's not very plausible that he'll finish 3 years of constant grammar and vocab in 3 months :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Yeah sure he can improve his grammar but I'm doubting that he'll finish an entire irish course in 3-4 months. I took us 3 years, and unless you're a genius there's no way you'll finish it unless you devote your next 3 months to learning irish vocab. I'm not trying to be an ass but it's not very plausible that he'll finish 3 years of constant grammar and vocab in 3 months :rolleyes:

Yeh i agree, at the moment im just going to focus on my studied work, write sample essays and letters and practice orals.

Yeh i agree, at the moment im just going to focus on my studied work, write sample essays and letters and practice orals.

Just keep working hard and hopefully you'll do well, try focus on the more important things like The story etc. and study them more

Advertisement