Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not renewing lease - notice period- deposit

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Me too.

Including you!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Kosseegan wrote: »

Including you!

And you obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Knock it off.

I wish people would read the Charter and only post constructively

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

pa2606 wrote: »
    Hello

Thank you in advance for helping me understand how I stand in relation to the below:

My rental agreement will expire in the middle of this month. I have received an email from my landlord earlier this week informing us that he has no intention of renewing as he is looking to sell the house. He is giving us one month notice to vacate the property.

I have started looking around for a different house/apartment in the area.
    It doesn't seem that easy to find any sort of suitable accommodation which I can afford.(and I am not picky).
    I have a daughter who is in primary school so I am bound to remain in the area for school, work and childcare arrangements.

The landlord is giving us a set date to vacate the property. My problem is that I need to seriously start looking for another place to move to, but most of the places are available immediately and require payment of the deposit and first month rent right on the spot.

I cannot afford paying rent in two places at the same time, this wasn't a planned expense and I have no money set aside.
    Am I required by law to stick with the date he is giving me? If I find something suitable can I move out of the place and not been liable to pay the rent up to the last week of the month?:confused:

Thank you.

Hi OP,

Have you actually asked the landlord if he would be willing to let you out of the lease early?
    He doesn't have to but its worth asking.
    Alternatively you could ask to extend the notice by a few weeks if you need more time to get the deposit together.
    Again he doesn't have to but id say its unlikely he is going to sell the property 2 weeks after you move out?

He might be happy enough to have rental income while trying to actually sell the place? (I.e. a few viewings might be going on while your there but he won't be out of pocket for it).

On a side note, Its quite frightening to read some ppls interpretation of a rental lease/P4 act... really hope they aren't landlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Sundancer

Can anyone give me advice?

My landlord served me with a Notice of Termination that appears to be valid, with a date on it to vacate the property in four months. Six weeks later, he served me with another Notice of Termination with a new date to vacate the property, six weeks after the date in the first notice. However, this second Notice is plainly invalid. Can the landlord rely on the first Notice or does this second Notice supersede the first one???

Cheers

Advertisement