Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty RAM it seems

Options
  • 02-03-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I don't have much experience diagnosing RAM and didn't have access to external resources like memtest86 at the time but here's the situation.

A Win7 machine behaves fine for the most part bar the very rare BSOD, app crash or Windows explorer has stopped responding error.

I decided to try to get down to the bottom of this and made use of Win7's own memory diagnostic tool.

-Ran it and problems are reported within the first minute of the test.
    -Went to the BIOS and made sure all the defaults are loaded, reran the mem test and it fails again pretty fast.
    -The RAM configuration is 2 x 4GB.
    -Remove stick B but leave stick A, the test still fails.
    -Remove stick A and put stick B in stick A's place and the test passes.

(A) That's enough investigating to conclude stick A is faulty and time to get new RAM?
    (B) Probably not advised to mix up different RAM brands so probably best to dispose of stick B (shame since it seems okay) at the same time as replacing stick A?
    (C) Any recommended brands (current RAM came from gskill)? I'm not a performance fanatic, I just want reliability and generally lower power consumption (and thus heat).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Champ wrote: »
    That's enough investigating to conclude stick A is faulty and time to get new RAM?

No, that's jumping to conclusions. You want to test the memory independently from the operating system.
    Champ wrote: »
    I don't have much experience diagnosing RAM and didn't have access to external resources like memtest86

What you mean, you don't have access to memtest86+? Run Memtest 86+ from bootable CD or USB stick. Let it run over night. No experience is required other than creating a CD from a disk image and finding the boot options menu. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can get Memtest86+ on the UltimateBootCD (a very handy bootable disk everyone should have to diagnose computer problems :) ) and run it for a while, testing each stick independently. Memory test failures don't automatically mean faulty hardware, incorrectly configured RAM in the bios could cause a memory test to fail also, although in this case it does sound like you have a faulty module

Nick

Advertisement