Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Sabbat Rumours

Options
  • 02-03-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Who, other than our very own Mr. John Cambridge will be putting themselves forward for the Sabbatical positions next year? It's that time of year again, so let the games begin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 auldpooky

Seems that www.ulsuelect.com has a fine list of rumoured candidates up already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Interesting that they have Paddy as a possibility for Education again but not President... Would seem like a natural progression for him if he were standing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

We need new officers. Paddy is the only one visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Sean Russell is a name I've heard a few times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Interesting that they have Paddy as a possibility for Education again but not President... Would seem like a natural progression for him if he were standing again.
    I thought you could only run twice, maybe I was wrong?

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I thought you could only run twice, maybe I was wrong?

Maybe I'm mistaken... I thought Derek Daly was there for three years though.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Maybe I'm mistaken... I thought Derek Daly was there for three years though.
    You can only run twice for one office Daly was welfare twice and pres once.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Is that rule not in the new constitution which hasn't been approved yet? I'm gutted I won't be on campus for this years campaign, if all those people run! If the weather is good it will be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

Ahhh election week.... I have to admit, it was always one of my favourite weeks in college, even with the lack of sleep and stress.

To follow on from Stephen_Byrne's article posted above, I've heard very little about the union this year, over the air waves anyway. Usually Boards is crawling with complaints but it seems to have been pretty quiet this year. Does that mean the sabbats have been doing a good job? After all, people are much quicker to complain than to praise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 PoBrizz

trouttrout wrote: »
    Sean Russell is a name I've heard a few times

I've heard this too, possible dark horse of the elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fishooks14

I've heard this Russell lad's name. Who is he?

bambismom wrote: »
    Ahhh election week.... I have to admit, it was always one of my favourite weeks in college, even with the lack of sleep and stress.

To follow on from Stephen_Byrne's article posted above, I've heard very little about the union this year, over the air waves anyway. Usually Boards is crawling with complaints but it seems to have been pretty quiet this year. Does that mean the sabbats have been doing a good job? After all, people are much quicker to complain than to praise...

Started a thread on this here. Might make more sense to keep election rumours and evaluation of this year's team separate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don't know any of them apart from Kennedy O'Brien and Gemma Browne. Also don't see Paddy Running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Could anyone elaborate on who they are? Current Sabbats we know, but who are the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tipplegend

Isn't Tim Foran running for President? Someone mentioned he picked up his nomination form today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tipplegend wrote: »
    Isn't Tim Foran running for President? Someone mentioned he picked up his nomination form today

Candidates for president are Adam Moursy, Tim Foran, Kennedy o Brien, , Rob Sheehan and Emma Porter. I heard that from a good source.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

What? Tony Canning isn't rumoured to be running for president this year? This is an outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Sure it wouldn't be election week without Paddy :D

Looking forward to getting the FYP outta the way and having fun on election week

Really is an exciting thing to be involved in.

With regards the union this year Paddy has done a great job. He has the experience and he knows what has been happening in the union for the past few years and has used it to his advantage. Has done a great job with his videos and prezzies. Really pushed the whole campus thing for Charity week too

Cathal has been good in my opinion.
    I think his campaigns were hurt by not having a communications officer.
    If you "liked" the Welfare officers page on facebook you'd see just how much is done.
    The weekly run he organised is great in my opinion, however, students just don't seem to engage with it.
    He's also been great any time I needed a chat or anything, 4th year is pretty stressful after all.

Adam has been working away in the office, but not entirely sure what he has been doing throughout the year.
    That said, I haven't been paying too much attention. I never really engage with the union president as much as other officers.
    That said anytime I've had a question for him, he's been quick to reply and sort me out.

Overall I think the Union has done a good job for the year, it's far from perfect but elections this year will tell a lot about how much they've done for getting students interested in the Union

I heard Brian Steward and Sarah Dowd being thrown around as possible runners

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

djnr8 wrote: »
    Sure it wouldn't be election week without Paddy :D

Looking forward to getting the FYP outta the way and having fun on election week

Really is an exciting thing to be involved in.

With regards the union this year Paddy has done a great job. He has the experience and he knows what has been happening in the union for the past few years and has used it to his advantage. Has done a great job with his videos and prezzies. Really pushed the whole campus thing for Charity week too

Cathal has been good in my opinion.
    I think his campaigns were hurt by not having a communications officer.
    If you "liked" the Welfare officers page on facebook you'd see just how much is done.
    The weekly run he organised is great in my opinion, however, students just don't seem to engage with it.
    He's also been great any time I needed a chat or anything, 4th year is pretty stressful after all.

Adam has been working away in the office, but not entirely sure what he has been doing throughout the year.
    That said, I haven't been paying too much attention. I never really engage with the union president as much as other officers.
    That said anytime I've had a question for him, he's been quick to reply and sort me out.

Overall I think the Union has done a good job for the year, it's far from perfect but elections this year will tell a lot about how much they've done for getting students interested in the Union

are you on paddy's campaign team?

Anyone know who was the guy in the stables collecting sigs for education?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

the electblog really couldnt keep his hate for paddy disguised there at all.:eek:

TBH i think, bar the referendum, the union did a good job this year, good work done without all the drama of the previous.

any boardsies going for anything?

Look at the name

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

the electblog really couldnt keep his hate for paddy disguised there at all

Completely agree, that was a personal attack on Paddy, in very poor taste!

Mmm, it seems elect is in serious danger of disappearing up its own hole. Shame really, half of that post about Rockett was decent, but around the point they say he's "running away from his teaching" degree, it loses all credibility IMO. Just comes across as bitter sniping.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

freyners wrote: »
    the electblog really couldnt keep his hate for paddy disguised there at all.:eek:
    Jester252 wrote: »
    Look at the name

They say on the ulsuelect.com site that there are different authors and that they may have different opinions to each other. In all fairness, look at the name of the author of the article in question.

I think the article that was published this morning poses an interesting question about the potential differences between masculine vs. feminine leadership. Has there ever been a woman at the head of the Union?

I'll be looking forward to the election feed they do. Handy single source for finding most the content posted on social media easily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Its strange, its been a good blog for a number of years on the election, first for news and as wnolan said, a handy single source for information.
    But if that is the quality of drivel that is available this year than i can see many not bothering.
    Also this cambridge cowardice is gone beyond a joke at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

The site used to be a good source of election material (like the first few posts from this year) but those last 2 articles makes it feel more like a personal trolling site. It is ruining the credibility and effectiveness of the site imho. It used to bring issues up when they were relevant and current, now it’s resorted to American style **** slinging (even before campaigning or confirmed canditates). Shame really since the first 3 posts were actually nice to see and gave me some information.

The SU team this year have been sooooo much better than previous years and singling out Paddy is ridiculous.

I get the anonymity, particularly with previous mentally unstable campaigners telling random students to f off; but anonymity isn't an excuse for terrible pieces.

• Advertisement

They should not let him post again. Its just as bad as the An Focal main headlines

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement