Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Sabbat Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm sure Maura Adshead would take issue with being considered a male President. It wouldn't take a historian to look at the roll of ULSU Presidents in the Stables :rolleyes:

Furthermore, there have been some fantastic female Deputy Presidents and Vive Presidents over the years, as well as part-time officers who did great engagement work.

I don't want to make others look bad, but Cathal is the one of this years team that I've heard so much praise for, the type of praise that doesn't make itself known publicly due to the nature of the role.

I've been in Adam's position, and generally, the vast bulk of the role isn't public facing, so I wouldn't judge purely on what can be seen.

I told Paddy last year that I worried about him being able to do the job and that I hope he proved me wrong, so far so good and my concerns appear not to have materialised, and if they have I haven't heard.

Of the names I know that are in the rumoured list, I don't think any are poor candidates, overall giving students a variety of decent options this year, something they haven't necessarily always had.

UL Vote For Me used to be the go to site for commentary, but it's gone dry

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Very little in the way of drama in the SU, haven't heard much from them this year. When will the final list of candidates be confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Skyrim wrote: »
    Very little in the way of drama in the SU, haven't heard much from them this year. When will the final list of candidates be confirmed?

Deadline is Friday 8th at 6pm. Last year the list was confirmed within the hour after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Skyrim wrote: »

There's been a lot of SU/C&S stuff, mainly last semester. C&S footing bills for the SU. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any C&S exec member running for a sabbatical position. Normally at least one is elected. What might this mean for C&S and their position on funding SU shortfalls?

Nominations close this Friday at 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Polar Ice wrote: »
    There's been a lot of SU/C&S stuff, mainly last semester. C&S footing bills for the SU. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any C&S exec member running for a sabbatical position. Normally at least one is elected. What might this mean for C&S and their position on funding SU shortfalls?

Nominations close this Friday at 6pm.
    Not directly from the exec but there are some strong figures from c&s thinking of running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Not directly from the exec but there are some strong figures from c&s thinking of running

Yeah, there's always going to be C&S people running, just due to the current composure of C&S exec we probably won't see any of them run. Granted Lily was elected as PSU President

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

magicherbs wrote: »
    are you on paddy's campaign team?

No, I have been asked onto a campaign team but I won't say until all candidates are announced.

It is not Paddy though, but I have campaigned for him in the past

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

djnr8 wrote: »
    No, I have been asked onto a campaign team but I won't say until all candidates are announced.

It is not Paddy though, but I have campaigned for him in the past

so you're completely biased in your posts so?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

so you're completely biased in your posts so?

I'm speaking from personal experience

I've had to deal with Paddy numerous times regarding academics including this morning and he's always provided me with the information I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

djnr8 wrote: »
    I'm speaking from personal experience

I've had to deal with Paddy numerous times regarding academics including this morning and he's always provided me with the information I need.

just to second this, I had to go to paddy over some academic stuff and he was very quick to get back to me with good info. Good work being done it seems

• Advertisement

Seems to be some kind of half arsed excuse on the elect blog now on the topic of recent posts. I know the guy who runs it (or used to run it, not sure) reads boards so maybe its from this :D

But seriously, controversy is grand (hasnt this forum seen enough of it), but what was wrote wasn't controversy, it was a nasty cowardly attack

freyners wrote: »
    it was a nasty cowardly attack

seems like you have some kind of personal issue with the author, rather than the content. I haven't heard from the administrator of the website about any complaints from any of the subjects of any of the articles. sounds like you've bit of an ax to grind.

seems like you have some kind of personal issue with the author, rather than the content. I haven't heard from the administrator of the website about any complaints from any of the subjects of any of the articles. sounds like you've bit of an ax to grind.

not really.
    If you want to make a point about someone, fire away. You'll never find me having a problem with someone giving their opinion as long as its fair and balanced. I quite like the elect blog too, the last two years it done great work this time of year. I might not have always agreed with the content but I could never fault the effort put in.

But when it makes some nasty personal digs at a guy, it crosses a line.

not really.
    If you want to make a point about someone, fire away. You'll never find me having a problem with someone giving their opinion as long as its fair and balanced. I quite like the elect blog too, the last two years it done great work this time of year. I might not have always agreed with the content but I could never fault the effort put in.

But when it makes some nasty personal digs at a guy, it crosses a line.

i've read everything on that website and i don't see anything nasty or anything personal. perhaps you're more sensitive than i am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

That article was just a personal attack on Paddy, convienently the week before the elections.
    It's like the horse burger jokes, funny the first few times.
    I asked Paddy twice for help this year and asked on facebook and he replied straight away giving me the links I needed.
    Just because you don't like him as a person, does not mean he is not good at his job.

Where is the other articles about the other 2 lads?
    Or anyone else who works in the student union?
    Pretty sure Paddy isnt the dictator of the students union.

No one is going to complain because it is obviously there to create ****e and get anyone who reads it to not vote for Paddy just because he has an axe to grind with Paddy.

i've read everything on that website and i don't see anything nasty or anything personal. perhaps you're more sensitive than i am

''Behind his façade as the energetic, tireless, students’ union rep he hides the fact he is a gormless, aimless young man. He is running away from his qualification in teaching, trying to avoid real commitment or acceptance of responsibility. Another year in the SU, another year as Peter Pan. The archetypal puer aeternus, the child-like man who chooses to live emotionally and psychologically as a adolescent.''

Along with ''Whether Rockett actually intends on destroying another SU sabbatical position we can not yet say for sure''

Your right, definitely not personal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brother24

The argument against ULSUelect is a separate thread entirely. The real question is, while why we know the current sabbats, who's the other candidates running? Like what have they done in the university, or are they well known? I've only heard of some of the candidates before the rumors started coming up. And does anyone think the current SU could be returned, or do the other guys have a better chance to be elected??

lkionm wrote: »
    Just because you don't like him as a person, does not mean he is not good at his job.

Me? I love paddy rockett and get on great with him. sound lad.

Brother24 wrote: »
    The argument against ULSUelect is a separate thread entirely. The real question is, while why we know the current sabbats, who's the other candidates running? Like what have they done in the university, or are they well known? I've only heard of some of the candidates before the rumors started coming up. And does anyone think the current SU could be returned, or do the other guys have a better chance to be elected??

Good question!

Personally I can see at least 2/3 being returned if all three decide to go again. Name recognition is a big thing in these elections and they would benefit of having a profile over any other contenders. Plus most people seem to thing they have done ok and, compared with last year, have had no major controversy outside the failed referendum.

Saying that a new candidate can easily catch up on this advantage if they have have a strong campaign. My experience having seen 3 years of elections is that havign a strong campaign that is loud and flashy can generally help. Alot of students arent interested in these elections and, if they vote, will do so because they seem "sound". Probably not a good sign but thats how they work imo.

A few of the potential candidates on the list i would know of, a few are involved in C&S and some in particular do alot of good work there.

Good question!

Personally I can see at least 2/3 being returned if all three decide to go again. Name recognition is a big thing in these elections and they would benefit of having a profile over any other contenders. Plus most people seem to thing they have done ok and, compared with last year, have had no major controversy outside the failed referendum.

Saying that a new candidate can easily catch up on this advantage if they have have a strong campaign. My experience having seen 3 years of elections is that havign fancy sweets that is loud and flashy can generally help. Alot of students arent interested in these elections and, if they vote, will do so because they seem "sound". Probably not a good sign but thats how they work imo.

A few of the potential candidates on the list i would know of, a few are involved in C&S and some in particular do alot of good work there.

You made a typo.

• Advertisement

You made a typo.

well spotted:;) :P

I remember campaigning for a welfare candidate two years ago and having it said to me that we got his vote because of the cookies we were giving out:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PinkBottle

As far as I know, and I could be corrected - there was a female President 22 years go in 1990, she is now head of the Psychology School in UL now, or something similar but I'm not too sure about the final bit!

well spotted:;) :P

I remember campaigning for a welfare candidate two years ago and having it said to me that we got his vote because of the cookies we were giving out:cool:

Its the only way to win an election, probably 98% of the students don't really care who gets in because they all get training and guidance from the crowd above them and there is only so much they can do in the year.

There is way more running this year than last so the sweets better be of a higher standard.

I think they should make their manifestos out of edible paper and write in icing sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Good question!

Saying that a new candidate can easily catch up on this advantage if they have have a strong campaign. My experience having seen 3 years of elections is that havign a strong campaign that is loud and flashy can generally help. Alot of students arent interested in these elections and, if they vote, will do so because they seem "sound". Probably not a good sign but thats how they work imo.

So who are these C&Sers, what do they do and what good work is done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Cadroc wrote: »

So who are these C&Sers, what do they do and what good work is done?

Darragh Roache? Michelle Coyle? Kelly?

Would the guy who didn't get PSU president, would he go for a spot?

Seems to be some kind of half arsed excuse on the elect blog now on the topic of recent posts. I know the guy who runs it (or used to run it, not sure) reads boards so maybe its from this :D

seems a lot of anti-ulsuelect vibes on this forum. i wonder why that is.

Really, you'll find most here (myself included) will have praised it over the last few years, it does really good work with the election feed and some of the stories that have been on it have been great quality.

Having a problem with a entry on it that does not equal anti blog in general

The original aim of this site was to provide a central place during election week to find out what’s going on around the campus related to the sabbatical elections. One of our unique selling points was (and has always been) that we offer the election feed, the single central source for everything from all the candidates facebook pages, and chat on twitter (using #voteUL) too.

The site would be good if it didnt have an agenda like attacking Paddy and no one else, just seems unfair to me to single out one person with irrelevant facts about what he does in his spare time?

It was good last year so how about just keep to updating us with relavant facts rather than gossip or do you want to work for the daily mail?
    Leave the gossiping to thomand student times.

So stick to the above quote and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bken1991

They say on the ulsuelect.com site that there are different authors and that they may have different opinions to each other. In all fairness, look at the name of the author of the article in question.

I think the article that was published this morning poses an interesting question about the potential differences between masculine vs. feminine leadership. Has there ever been a woman at the head of the Union?

I'll be looking forward to the election feed they do. Handy single source for finding most the content posted on social media easily

PolarIce - you should make people aware that it was yourself who registered the domain name www.ulsuelect.com

In all your replies, you appear as if you have no connection to it.

• Advertisement

The site would be good if it didnt have an agenda like attacking Paddy and no one else, just seems unfair to me to single out one person with irrelevant facts about what he does in his spare time?

It was good last year so how about just keep to updating us with relavant facts rather than gossip or do you want to work for the daily mail?
    Leave the gossiping to thomand student times.

So stick to the above quote and you will be fine.

why are you obsessed with paddy rockett? Are you his boyfriend or something? How do you know the site won't have an article on Moursy tomorrow? Where you saying the same thing last year about KOB?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement