Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flying to san francisco

Options
  • 02-03-2013 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just wondring if anyone knows the airline that would be the cheapest to travel with from Ireland to San francisco this summer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Try Skyscanner.com and put in your dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Routes can vary. Fly direct and you go over the pole so its only around 10-11 hours. And costs more.

But stop off on the east cosst and the times start to go up dramatically and the cost will come down.

Personally I like stopping off somewhere. Those long flights are a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Routes can vary. Fly direct and you go over the pole so its only around 10-11 hours. And costs more.

There are no direct flights from Ireland to San Francisco. The OP will have to connect some where at least once. They can do it somewhere in Europe, or fly from Ireland to the US and catch a connecting flight to SF there. I'd be a fan of flying to the US, and taking the connecting flight there. An 11-13 hr flight from London/Paris/Amsterdam to the US west coast is a godawful experience. I much prefer breaking them up into two flights of roughly equal length.

OP, if you go with Aer Lingus, you'll probably connect via Chicago O'Hare with United, who Aer Lingus code share with. If you go with Continental, you will connect via Newark, and if you go with Delta, you will connect via Atlanta or JFK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I do this trip pretty often, I prefer to connect in Europe and do a direct - unless you plan on overnighting somewhere in the states and then carrying on to SF.

The 10 hours from London fly by, and with BA or Virgin you arrive mid afternoon, can check into a hotel or whatever, shower and push through the rest of the day.

I've done Aer Lingus Dublin->Chicago->SFO as well as Madrid->Philadelphia->SFO and both were horrible, as you already have one long flight done, you need to face another on a US domestic carrier.

At least flying direct to SFO, you get pretty good service all the way across

Advertisement