Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom avatars

Options
  • 02-03-2013 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭

Is the custom avatars remaining after a subscription ends ever going to be sorted ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It was, they do remain now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Spear wrote: »
    It was, they do remain now.

Didnt for me when my subscription ended.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's not meant to be that way:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056813015

though, they don't explicitly state that it was changed.

Spear wrote: »
    It's not meant to be that way:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056813015

though, they don't explicitly state that it was changed.

So it hasnt been sorted then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

According to the diagnostic page here, I still have my custom avatar yet it doesn't show up when I post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

According to the diagnostic page here, I still have my custom avatar yet it doesn't show up when I post.
    I can see it on touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Is the custom avatars remaining after a subscription ends ever going to be sorted ?

You might have seen that we're trying to hire new developers and also that we're up to our eyes with touch updates, we're very tight on development resources at the minute. It is on the list and that's about as much an update as I can give you, sorry.

Danny

You might have seen that we're trying to hire new developers and also that we're up to our eyes with touch updates, we're very tight on development resources at the minute. It is on the list and that's about as much an update as I can give you, sorry.

Danny

In fairness its been on the to do list for about a year and a half. I appreciate it might not be of much concern or as important as the touch updates but as it relates to paid subscriptions it really shouldnt still be on the to do list a year and a half after saying it will be sorted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In fairness its been on the to do list for about a year and a half. I appreciate it might not be of much concern or as important as the touch updates but as it relates to paid subscriptions it really shouldnt still be on the to do list a year and a half after saying it will be sorted.

In fairness, it relates to paid subscriptions that have expired. I think it's pretty decent of the lads to allow people keep their custom avatars after their subscriptions have lapsed, so it's a bit unfair to be having a go at them just because they haven't managed to get round to it yet. If you're that attached to it, renew your subscription.

Zaph wrote: »
    In fairness, it relates to paid subscriptions that have expired. I think it's pretty decent of the lads to allow people keep their custom avatars after their subscriptions have lapsed, so it's a bit unfair to be having a go at them just because they haven't managed to get round to it yet. If you're that attached to it, renew your subscription.

Dav himself said it should remain after the subscription has lapsed. Its not a case of it being a kindness to let us keep it. Its a case of we should be allowed keep something which we have paid for. And management seemed to agree when it was brought up.

And a year and a half is plenty of time to get around to something imo, particularly when it was brought up people were surprised it wasnt already the case. So I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm just saying fair is fair. I've subbed and supported the website and its been over a year on the to do list for a feature paid for to remain after a subscription ends. Its not like I'm being unreasonable in highlighting the fact.

• Advertisement

Dav himself said it should remain after the subscription has lapsed. Its not a case of it being a kindness to let us keep it. Its a case of we should be allowed keep something which we have paid for. And management seemed to agree when it was brought up.

And a year and a half is plenty of time to get around to something imo, particularly when it was brought up people were surprised it wasnt already the case. So I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm just saying fair is fair. I've subbed and supported the website and waited over a year for a feature I paid for to remain after a subscription ends. Its not like I'm being unreasonable in highlighting the fact.

To be fair this tech team hasn't been around for a year and a half, and we are half what we used to be. I believe this is my first reference to the custom avatars staying on after a subscription has lapsed, it (and the accompanying bug report) is barely 3 months old. We'll update when the feature request has been implemented, hopefully some time in the near future.

Danny

To be fair this tech team hasn't been around for a year and a half, and we are half what we used to be. I believe this is my first reference to the custom avatars staying on after a subscription has lapsed, it (and the accompanying bug report) is barely 3 months old. We'll update when the feature request has been implemented, hopefully some time in the near future.

Danny

We'll have to blame Dav so.

Like I said I'm not having a go at anyone, I hope you understand where I'm coming from and that I'm not just being unreasonable because you didnt fix it immediately. It's been on the list a while, no harm in mentioning that in case it helps it get bumped up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

It's the least that could be done considering the lousy list of extras subbing actually gets ya.

Couple of Subscriber Only Sites launched in the states in the last while for the grand total of $20. For access for the year, ad free.

It's triple that here to throw up a pic (free on a lot of sites), access to a Forum no one posts in and a name change. I see it mentioned regularly that the thinking caps are going on to make it worthwhile for someone to sub, never happens. Was going to do it once till I noticed it was paypal only, that was also supposed to be added to over a year back I rem reading.

Subbing is an After thought and as it stands I don't know why anyone would bother with it here, especially with all the crazy self imposed rules that can get you thrown off a Forum for a simple mistake and off the site for not much more.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    """"""""Deleted My Own Rant As Their Really Is No Point"""""""""""""""""
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Cheers for sorting this!

Thanks guys, very much appreciated !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Sorry meant to post an update earlier. As noticed, updates went live there this morning around 10am, cheers.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    On a lighter yet somewhat related note:

Can those of you who are chomping at the bit to add a custom avatar (Moreso now that it's sorted) be mindful of what you use? Not all people use the same skin theme as you, so when someone comes along with this sort of mess...

picture.php?albumid=872&pictureid=14719

It does look a bit... Well, y'know :pac:

Mine looks really bad on the dark skin. Hadn't given that any thought before. The sig is even worse.. I've hidden it because of shame.

How would I go about making them more palatable for people using the dark theme? :o

This just covers avatars uploaded while a subscriber right ? I take it that it cant be changed without subscribing again ?

Custom avatars now work a bit like name changes, you can have as many as you like while you're a subscriber but once your subscription is up you're stuck with whatever one you had. Changing this would require another usergroup to be created to put former subscribers into, and that's the type of thing we don't do without particularly good reasons since it puts extra load on the hamsters; our actual goal is to decrease the number of usergroups over time.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Well done for fixing this. It has been a long time coming but could be beneficial as it may attract more subs at the end of the day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Yay I got my avatar back
    Can we keep cloud forver please

Advertisement